4-way CO2 manifold with 1/4" barbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I need a new manifold for my keezer. This one from More Beer is one of the cheapest ones I've found: https://www.morebeer.com/products/14-aluminum-gas-manifold.html

Why is it so much cheaper? I'm guessing because it has 1/4" barbs? How big of an issue is this? I've been using a one tap kegerator since I started, so I'm not a guru on manifolds. Should I pay more and get bigger barbs? Am I missing something on this manifold? Thanks.

1. I think the valves on that style are cheaper in price and quality than the ones on the more expensive manifolds.

2. You want the larger 5/16 barbs. It's cheaper to spend a few more dollars on the barb than it will be to lose an entire tank of gas. Unless you are also buying new gas line. Most people use 5/16 on the gas side, but you could use 1/4.

1. I think the valves on that style are cheaper in price and quality than the ones on the more expensive manifolds.

2. You want the larger 5/16 barbs. It's cheaper to spend a few more dollars on the barb than it will be to lose an entire tank of gas. Unless you are also buying new gas line. Most people use 5/16 on the gas side, but you could use 1/4.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm going to need more/new gas line anyway. So you're saying IF I used 1/4" gas line, the 1/4" barbs would be fine, just don't try to use 5/16 line on the 1/4" barbs, right?

Barb size wouldn't concern me as long as I'm using tubing that is sized for it. I always go a size smaller for the line, so for 1/4" barbs, I'd go with 3/16" tubing. I'd also use Oetiker clamps to secure the line to the barbs.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm going to need more/new gas line anyway. So you're saying IF I used 1/4" gas line, the 1/4" barbs would be fine, just don't try to use 5/16 line on the 1/4" barbs, right?

Yep. You want the ID of the hose to match the barb or even a little smaller would be better.

Barb size wouldn't concern me as long as I'm using tubing that is sized for it. I always go a size smaller for the line, so for 1/4" barbs, I'd go with 3/16" tubing. I'd also use Oetiker clamps to secure the line to the barbs.

Yep. You want the ID of the hose to match the barb or even a little smaller would be better.

Thanks dudes. So you're saying nothing inherently wrong with using 1/4" barbs on manifolds, just be sure and get the right size tubing for it, yes?

Back