4 Step Mash Schedule in a Cooler System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RishoBrew

Reaction score
I have the following mash schedule and was wondering if anyone has done multi step mash successfully using a picnic cooler turned mash tun?

- Protein Rest: 122° F for 20 minutes
- Beta Sacch’ Rest: 149° F for 30 minutes
- Alpha Sacch’ Rest: 158 F for 30 minutes
- Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes

These are water temp suggestion from BrewersFreind for a 10 gallon batch:

Step Target Temp Infusion Needed Quarts/Pound

1. 122.0 24.00 Quarts @ 132.4 (F) 1.00
2. 18.1 Quarts @ boiling 1.75
3. 12.4 Quarts @ boiling 2.27
4. 32.3 Quarts @ boiling 3.62

When I do single infusion mash, on the initial mash rest I get about 50% yield of wort on 5 gal batch. With the mashout step I get about 68% yield.

If I apply these yields to this 4 step schedule where I calculate 50% from protein rest yield, and 68% from rest of the steps, I should/could get 13.1 gallons of wort but I I'm not sure at what gravity and that is my main concern. Target gravity is 1.058.

Thanks in advance.

Early in my brewing days i mashed in my boil kettle so i could use the burner to step it through the temps. Once at mash out i scooped everything into the cooler for vorlauf and lauter. Little messy but step mashing in a cooler with infusions is no fun either.

These days my process is a lot more elegant, but more involved and much more capital intensive as well.

Been down that road and it didn't improve my beer... I was working with a cooler and tried step mashes.

Switched to BIAB since my cooler wall warped, but I still don't do step mashes. The biggest improvement to the beer besides better temp control than my previous fridge was dialing in the water. Using bru'n water or another tool will make a more perceptible difference IMHO than just step mashing.

It seems like what you have there would work, but I mean . . . you could always do a decoction mash.

Your low efficiency numbers are not mash temp related. I would take a look at the crush of your grain. I consistently get 80% efficiency give or take a couple points with a single infusion mash at any temp between 148f-156f. Protein rests with highly modified malts (i.e. all malt produced today) could be detrimental to head retention and body. It's definitely detrimental to your time efficiency.

Back