4 port co2 splitter reversable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crosschk

Working on a good one.....
Reaction score
20221008_152712.jpg

Are the intake and i guess stopper easily reversed? Just a matter or lossen and swap?

Typically, those fittings have sealant coating their threads when installed, often ridiculously strong sealant.
If an inordinate amount of force is being applied to no avail, heat up the fitting...

Cheers!
If it gets to that, I'll leave it as is and route the line appropriately

Typically, those fittings have sealant coating their threads when installed, often ridiculously strong sealant.
If an inordinate amount of force is being applied to no avail, heat up the fitting...

Cheers!
And you probably need sealant when you reassemble to prevent leaks.

Brew on :mug:

Depends how the threads in the beam were cut. I did the same end-for-end swap on a 10-way manifold and the tape would get shredded as the fitting was screwed in. Went with pipe sealant FTW...

Cheers!

One more q, do in need to mount this or can i just kind of leave it on the floor of the freezer in using?

i'd be worried about the hosing on the barbs getting kinked and leaking if it was on the floor?
I'll figure out a way to hang it on the side of the freezer...wire hangers or maybe paracord lol

I'm afraid if I screw it into the inside of the freezer I'll puncture the cooling system

I'm afraid if I screw it into the inside of the freezer I'll puncture the cooling system
Unless you know exactly what you're doing, there's a good chance on that. Besides, it will likely void your warranty.

The evaporator (cooling) tubes are spot welded against the inside shell, while the condensor tubes (the hot ones) are against the outside shell. Foam insulation in the (hollow) space between.

There are ways to find out where the tubes are located, so you could very carefully drill a couple small holes in between them to mount your gas distributor and other things.

Most of us put a (wooden) collar between the freezer body and lid, for the taps to go through, that also provides mounting space for those other things, while it adds extra inside height.

Unless you know exactly what you're doing, there's a good chance on that. Besides, it will likely void your warranty.

The evaporator (cooling) tubes are spot welded against the inside shell, while the condensor tubes (the hot ones) are against the outside shell. Foam insulation in the (hollow) space between.

There are ways to find out where the tubes are located, so you could very carefully drill a couple small holes in between them to mount your gas distributor and other things.

Most of us put a (wooden) collar between the freezer body and lid, for the taps to go through, that also provides mounting space for those other things, while it adds extra inside height.
Warranty is long over. Lol. I'll probably work out a way to hang it from the edge

Are the intake and i guess stopper easily reversed? Just a matter or lossen and swap?
They are indeed reversible. If you're handy, it's fairly easy.

[EDIT] I think tape will suffice for the plug and barb connections. Use about 4-6 turns of the thin white tape or 3 turns of the thicker stuff. Be careful not to strip the threads on the (thin) aluminum body, there are barely 2 turns of thread in the holes.

If you were to redo the shut off valves too,* you will need a thread sealing paste (such as Blue Monster), and best is to use both tape and paste. Main reason, there are barely 2 turns of thread in the thin aluminum distributor body wall, so it's easy to strip them, and kinda hard to make a seal while ending up with all the red handles facing toward you. The teflon tape will act as a good filler. You may need to redo each a few times to get all of them to face correctly.

* While at it, I cleaned my distributors on the inside, the bodies were filled with cutting grease and aluminum turnings...

Last edited:
Did it though?

well, yeah....i managed to find a easter egg in the source code..update the db with it, but when i want to change the date picker....it stopped compiling, i have 13 years of data to go through and having to click back in time by months is a PITA...but i see the API they used has a different version that will go by years and stuff...think it's a setting in eclipse....

well, yeah....i managed to find a easter egg in the source code..update the db with it, but when i want to change the date picker....it stopped compiling, i have 13 years of data to go through and having to click back in time by months is a PITA...but i see the API they used has a different version that will go by years and stuff...think it's a setting in eclipse....
Not a c++ guy ever but have played around in VB, VBA and powershell

And some bash stuff

View attachment 783289

I had the same concerns as you before I swapped mine. It was simple and straight forward and I should have done it years earlier. A thin wrap of Teflon taped worked fine for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20221008_204646.jpg
    IMG_20221008_204646.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
These manifolds are nice to have. But we got along without them for a long time. We used hose T’s and gear clamps and just split the one CO2 line into however many we needed and put gas fittings on the ends.

You could always mount it to a board or a piece of wood that will stand up where you want it to, if you have space. Build something if you have to by screwing a couple of pieces of wood together. It doesn’t have to be screwed to your freezer or kegerator. Like IslandLizard said, many do kegerator builds with a wood collar and they would screw it to the wood collar.

I’m a computer nerd, too. I do ancient stuff (they call it Legacy Systems) like CICS, TSO, and for many years I was a VAX/VMS MUMPS programmer.

Yes reversible, and not as difficult as toilet repair! Yes also to GAS teflon tape (the yellow stuff) AND teflon gas pipe dope (I use Oakey PTFE joint compound). A roll of tape and small container of dope are cheap and last a long time (maybe a lifetime for you!). Tape first (3-5 wraps) then apply dope. Dope the male end, not female. Having the intake and plug on the desired ends of the distributor can make a difference in achieving a clean running of your gas intake line, and was worth it in my situation.

Use it upside down ?

+1, and the plywood board idea i liked too, i mean even screwing to the ply wood on top of a couple 1"x1"'s as legs to fit between the kegs? have it sit above them? with all the BIAB brewers these days we should know how to get creative in the sack! ;) :mug:

Latest posts

Back