4 Amber Waves of Grain--Insane Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfsido

Reaction score
So one day for whatever reason "America The Beautiful" was stuck in my head, and when I came to the "for amber waves of grain" line it occurred to me that perhaps I should make a recipe that would do that justice.

It also seemed appropriate to use four types of grain, and that these four grains should be in the proportions in which they are grown in the US.

Mostly I'm wondering how this malt bill would turn out; I've read here and elsewhere that it's possible to do a sparge with 100% wheat, so I suppose this should be doable. :rockin:

Color: 10.0 SRM
Bitterness: 24.4 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.050 (12.3° P) Mash Profile: BIAB, Pilsner Step Mash
Est FG: 1.013 SG (3.3° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 4.8%
4.0 oz 2.8% Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 1
1.0 oz 0.7% Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 2
8 lbs 88.3% Wheat Malt, Dark (9.0 SRM) Grain 3
12.0 oz 8.3% Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - First Wort Hops 5
0.2 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 20 min Hops 6
0.2 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 7

I don't have a yeast chosen yet; I think US-05 or perhaps a lager yeast would be appropriate to let the malt character shine through.

I figure that I'd probably toast the oats and rye for good measure; after all, it's *amber* grain we want.

Most of all, I just wonder how this would taste? It occurred to me that if I multiplied everything by ~1.2 and use a weizen yeast, this would qualify as (admittedly odd) weizenbock.

I like the idea. Toast the grain, mash higher and use US 05...make an American waves of grain amber ale.

I was thinking of doing a "2 step pilsner mash" as found in Beersmith; do you think that'll be necessary or should I just do a single step and hope for the best?

Latest posts

Back