3rd Brew and I'm Lovin It.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baumgartner

Reaction score
Today i Just finished up my 3rd batch. So far i have done 3 brewers best kits.
1. cervesa 2. steam style 3. Russian imperial stout. and now i wait again. I think my next brew is going to be a honey wiezen. Any great recipes would be appreciated. I also my try stepping up to a parshal mash vs. just steeping a few grains.

Oh and by the way I haven't even tryed one of my brews yet because they arent done conditioning. I Hope I have enought in the Pipe Line because i don't want to run out.

Best hobby in the world.

Right there with you man! I have a red ale and pale ale in bottles, the Pale Ale is damn tasty! I have a brown ale in secondary and a Shiner Bock clone in Primary.

This really is the best hobby in the world.

Livewir

Me Too! I am going to be brewing my second beer this weekend and i am already getting ideas on my third. i just ordered another carboy, but a 6.5 gallon so i can primary in a carboy. This WILL get expensive, but already addicting. I think i check this site 4-5 time per day and still am learning something new every time. This might take over golf as my favorite hobby. Maybe I can sneak some homebrew in my bag and combine the 2!!!!!!

Just wondering here, does a carboy work good as a primary as it doesnt feed the yeast as much 02 as a bucket will give it?

Wade E said:
Just wondering here, does a carboy work good as a primary as it doesnt feed the yeast as much 02 as a bucket will give it?

I don't think it makes any difference. While it is cooler to watch fermentation in a clear carboy, the head space in a primary bucket will soon be filled with CO2 anyway as soon as the yeast get started. I like buckets due to light skunking my hops and easier to clean.

I use glass for everything, works great

I think my next brew is going to be a honey wiezen. Any great recipes would be appreciated

I made one last summer - VERY simple.

6 lbs wheat DME

1 oz hallertauer at 60 min.

1 oz hallertauer at 20 min.

1 lb honey in last 5 min of boil.

Hefeweizen Yeast

Careful - it WILL blow the top off of your fermenter!!! get a blow-off tube....

comj49 said:
Maybe I can sneak some homebrew in my bag and combine the 2!!!!!!

If i golfed I'd bring 2 bags. One of them would be insulated. and on rollers. Stocked full of home brew. Thats got to save you some money because beer cant be cheap on the greens.

Nothing about golf is cheap, but as I am finding out, neither is homebrewing! Not that I am complaining since they both are fun, and not made to be cheap! I will absolutley bring some brew to the course. Only 2 weeks till league play begins:rockin: If only the snow would melt and the temps would get above 50f, i would be even more excited!

Baumgartner said:
I think my next brew is going to be a honey wiezen. Any great recipes would be appreciated.

I just brewed a honey weizen. . . you should know that adding the honey usually gives the beer a slightly drier flavor. This is what I did and it turned out wonderful.

8 oz. Carapils (steeped at 155F for 30 min)
3 lbs. Briess Wheat DME
3.3 lbs Briess Wheat LME (late boil for 15 min)
1 oz Williamette Hops 60 min
1 lbs. honey
Safale WB-06

Also, you don't have to boil your honey and if I remember correctly its actually bad to. You can add your honey directly to the primary, just warm it up in a hot water bath so it will flow well. I didn't add any other hops because I feel like when I add the honey it does something on its own to balance the malts.

Back