3L yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg83

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am about to brew a Cali common and need a 3l yeast starter. Can I make a big starter like that and put it on the stir plate or do I have to start small, decant and step up to 3? It would be a lot easier to just make one big starter. I read it's better to start small somewhere but just wanted to know if that's true :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've made 3L starters from a single vial of yeast before without any problems. You should be ok.

Dissenting option time :rockin::ban: (maybe)

What is the viability of your yeast? Typical OK inoculation rate is 25-100 million cells per ML. Anything below 75% viability (02/24/16 manufacture est from today's date) places you below the recommended inoculation rate.

Go to brewuntied.com. They have a really good calculator on there that highlights inoculation rates etc. very accurate for making starters.

Thank you all for the quick responses! I love this forum. The yeasties are in the mail as we speak. They are the new white labs pack wlp810. Supposedly these new packs have a very high cell count. I will check brewunited and probably make a 3l starter.

Thanks again homebrewers

if you play with the varibales in brewuntied.com you can see you can get more cells by using 2- 1 liter startes the 1 - 3 liter.

Dissenting option time :rockin::ban: .
:mug: hilarious

I've made 3L starters from a single vial of yeast before without any problems. You should be ok.
ok and great beer aren't always the same thing. You may still be underpitching dependant on style of beer of course. But yes, you'll make better beer with any starter.

When yuo make a big starter like that you are just making beer. step it up our reuse a cake
Making a big starter is stepping it up and as long as the growth rate is appropriate it's fine.

Back