3Gal eBIAB Kettle Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will you always do 3 gallon batches or would you like to do a 5 gallon sometime? I do a 2 1/2 gallon batch in a 20qt pot so a 24 would be fine for a 3 gallon batch. I also do a 5 gallon batch in a 30qt but its a bit tight. A 36 would be better for that and you could still do a 3 gallon batch in it. How do the two compare in price? How about heat source? Shape as in tall and skinny or wide and short?

This will be a 3gal batches only. Looks like I might need to go with 4.7 gal, so my concern was 4.7gal of water and say, 13-15lbs of grain if I do a HG brew. I couldn't find anything that would let me do displacement calcs and see how much the water would rise.

If I want to do 5gal batches, I'll just bust my keggle out but I'm shifting to small batches and 110v instead of 240v.

I use 1 lb grain = 10 fluid ounces as its volume contribution, when submerged in a mash.

So, 15 lbs of grain, at a thick mash of 1.3 lb/qt gives 4.88 gallons of water needed and the grains take up 1.17 gallons. Total is 6 gallons. And you really need to sparge to get that sugar from that thick mash off that grain.

I use 1 lb grain = 10 fluid ounces as its volume contribution, when submerged in a mash.

So, 15 lbs of grain, at a thick mash of 1.3 lb/qt gives 4.88 gallons of water needed and the grains take up 1.17 gallons. Total is 6 gallons. And you really need to sparge to get that sugar from that thick mash off that grain.

So, the 6 gallon should be fine for high gravity, especially if I keep 1 gallon out of mash and use it to cold sparge the tasty sugar. That'll save me $20 - thanks!

Back