3D Printed Drip Tray for kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
Nothing fancy but wanted to share with you guys. Simple drip tray to stop beer drippings from getting on my carpet. Currently using it on my kegerator and it get's the job done, and was inexpensive to print. Printed on a Makerbot Replicator 2 using PLA.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1805861

Print it with 3dhubs using my link and get $10 free print credit: http://3dhubs.refr.cc/V6KQD7B

Driptray2.jpg

Does the beer tend to splash or splatter when it drips? Most drip trays I've seen have a slotted insert to allow a glass to stand above any accumulated beer, plus the drips tend to be contained and diverted away from splashing.

Does the beer tend to splash or splatter when it drips? Most drip trays I've seen have a slotted insert to allow a glass to stand above any accumulated beer, plus the drips tend to be contained and diverted away from splashing.

It doesn't really splash but you're right. I don't set my glass down when I'm pouring a pint so I don't really worry about that. I really just have it there to stop dripping on my carpet. If anyone wants me to, I can design a slotted top to fit inside this current design. It would only take a few minutes. It's just for what I'm using it for, it wasn't needed.

ABS plastic is very porous (depending on the definition on the layers of 3D printer) but I really like the concept. I'm in the process of 3D printing some custom tap handles by creating a fully defined 3/8" wrench with a small cylindrical region on the bottom of the wrench awaiting a 3/8"-16 treaded insert to correctly mount to the tap faucet.

I like the innovation, cheers and ROLL TIDE

ABS plastic is very porous (depending on the definition on the layers of 3D printer) but I really like the concept. I'm in the process of 3D printing some custom tap handles by creating a fully defined 3/8" wrench with a small cylindrical region on the bottom of the wrench awaiting a 3/8"-16 treaded insert to correctly mount to the tap faucet.

I like the innovation, cheers and ROLL TIDE

I've made and printed a few tap handles. They are super fun to make!

what did you integrate into the handle base to screw onto the faucet threading?
-3/8"-16 threaded insert?
-3/8 bolt?
-or did you just apply threading in solidworks or your cad program?
I'm planning on using an insert just to prevent the abs plactic wearing down. I'll use using acetone to thin/soften up the inner surface of a pre-made extrusion then I'll apply threaded insert and see how it plays out.

what did you integrate into the handle base to screw onto the faucet threading?
-3/8"-16 threaded insert?
-3/8 bolt?
-or did you just apply threading in solidworks or your cad program?
I'm planning on using an insert just to prevent the abs plactic wearing down. I'll use using acetone to thin/soften up the inner surface of a pre-made extrusion then I'll apply threaded insert and see how it plays out.

Yeah just used a 3/8 - 16 threaded insert.

PKTAPFINISHED.jpg

3d printed parts can be difficult to make water tight. There's usually small air gaps between the layers of filament. Beer and gunk seeping between these layers would be very difficult to clean out.

Plastidip them afterwards and they're water tight, it's even food grade once it's cured.

Never thought about that. I have some laying around.

I was a teenager once and decided to plastidip my whole car...

I'd say go ahead and do it - been a while since i was 3d printing, but thought I remembered PLA being water-soluble so it'd really be a good idea to coat it.

Plastidip them afterwards and they're water tight, it's even food grade once it's cured.

Yes, I guess I meant to say bare plastic 3d printed parts are hard to make water tight. There are plenty of sealants that will do the job.

I didn't know plastidip was food grade though. Thanks for that.

Yes, I guess I meant to say bare plastic 3d printed parts are hard to make water tight. There are plenty of sealants that will do the job.

I didn't know plastidip was food grade though. Thanks for that.

I'd say go ahead and do it - been a while since i was 3d printing, but thought I remembered PLA being water-soluble so it'd really be a good idea to coat it.

PLA will absorb some moisture which could change the size and fit up of parts if they're close tolerance, but it isn't water soluble and won't dissolve.

PLA will absorb some moisture which could change the size and fit up of parts if they're close tolerance, but it isn't water soluble and won't dissolve.

Ahh, must have been thinking of another material, or my brain just got foggy after a couple years away from printing - thanks for clearing that up.

Ahh, must have been thinking of another material, or my brain just got foggy after a couple years away from printing - thanks for clearing that up.

I believe it is PVA that is used as a support material for 3d printing, though I don't recall if it dissolves in water or some other chemical solution.

Nice! Looks great! What diameter and depth extrusion did you use as the pilot hole for the threaded insert? I think I used 5/8" diameter, I'll have to post a pic of it when it's finished.

I think I did the same diameter and depth was like 0.7". I can't remember off the top of my head.

Latest posts

Back