3711 still going, but now w/ dry hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmfitzgerald

Reaction score
so quick question/poll.

i brewed up a quick extract rye saison 10 days ago using 3711. i've done a version of this beer almost every summer being i can get the yeast nice and warm (80ish degrees) to bring out some nice spicy aromas with the rye. the only difference this year is i used 2 cans of rye LME vs an all grain batch? usually this yeast chews through all sugars very fast and finishing out in the 1.006-1.008 range within 5-7days. so i went ahead and added dry hops on day 3 expecting a max of 7 days of fermenting time, but here i am on day 10 with dry hops sitting in at 7 days and still getting a bubble every 3-4 minutes, undisturbed. gravity is sitting at 1.005 and i leave for a short 5 day vacation tomorrow.

do i just call it good being it's under the recipe estimates. cold crash it today, transfer it to keg before i leave tomorrow? or let it be, and finish it up when i get back next tuesday? only worry is the dry hops will be in there, on the beer for 12 days total, any vegetal/grassy pick up with extended time?

so longer ferment time to finish w/extended dry hopping vs finish it up (as it tasted great this morning) and move to packaging before leaving?

call it good, 1005 is very low, not likely it will go any lower. Those bubbles could easily be just trapped gas in the trub. I deff. would not want dry hops sitting longer than 7 days. I typically go 3-4

I had the exact same situation in Feb. Dry hopped my rye saison with Citra and Nelson right before going on vacation. It sat 10-12 days IIRC. Still one of the best beers I've brewed. That being said, in your case if the FG is already at 1.005 and you're kegging/don't have to worry about bottle bombs, then I would just go ahead and keg it.

thanks for the replies... i went ahead and started to cold crash it today, so tomorrow morning, i can keg it before leaving for vacation... and yes, it will be nice to come home to a finished beer:)!!!

thanks!

Back