36 hours and NO BUBBLES!?!? Should I be worried???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WissahickonBrew

Reaction score
I pitched WLP800 for my pilsner. Spun the yeast on my stir plate for 24 hours at about 62 degrees prior to pitching. OG is 1.034. Decanted 80% of the separated solution before pitching. Lifted the fermenter directly into my ferm chamber which maintains a steady 55 degrees.

Never had this happen before, but then again I am way more experienced with ales and the ale yeast behaviors!

Has anyone else gone through this? How long should I wait before taking drastic measures? What's a good drastic measure to take?

As always, Thanks everyone! :D

Was the yeast expired?

Have you tried to swirl the fermenter?

If you slightly remove the airlock/stopper/bung do you hear pressure escaping?

I'd give it until tonight ~48 hour mark and then start thinking about getting to the LBHS and getting some more yeast.

I wouldn't worry until after 72 hours. Lagers can take a bit longer to start showing signs of fermentation.

Bubbles don't necessarily mean fermentation hasn't started. If after 72 hours there are no visiable signs of fermenation like krausen and your gravity is close to your OG then you'll probably need to add more yeast or bring the temperature up a bit to get the yeast moving faster.

I rousted the yeast (gently) and I get some bubbles in the airlock so I am sure something is happening. I am more accustomed to ales with an Old Faithful display of CO2 blow-off!

So is the concensus just pitch fresh yeast if there's NO appreciable activity? Or just sit tight since there is a small amount of bubbles when I roust?

:eek:

I verified the yeast had not expired, it's a pretty busy LBHS I shopped at.

Was the yeast expired?

Have you tried to swirl the fermenter?

If you slightly remove the airlock/stopper/bung do you hear pressure escaping?

I'd give it until tonight ~48 hour mark and then start thinking about getting to the LBHS and getting some more yeast.

Hahaha, hunter_la5 just dealt with me yesterday on this same issue!

Lesson learned - take a gravity reading, if you haven't already, before freaking out.

Thought my double belgian wit was doing nothing due to no visible sign of activity. Turns out it was working hard and had already gone from start to finish in those 48 hours!

Are you using a bucket or carboy? If a bucket check that the lid of your bucket is firmly closed. I failed to seal the lid once and didn't notice any bubbles until I firmly sealed the lid.
As others have recommended check the SG every few days.
Can you see any evidence of yeast trub accumulating in the bottom of the fermenter? Easy to tell if it is a clear carboy; not so much if a opaque bucket.

I have a Brewcraft 30L bucket and I almost never get bubbles. The lids seal very poorly but they are light enough I can see the krausen. That is what matters to me. :mug:

UPDATE:

With humility I will update what's been going on. I've been homebrewing in my 6th year and pride myself on being careful and methodical. If you skim through the thread you will see what already transpired... :eek:

There were no bubbles apparent in my airlock for 6 days so I purchased fresh packets of dry yeast Mangrove Jack M84. I hydrated the dry yeast and pitched.

I opened a port on the 4" top cover, inserted a sanitized funnel and dumped the yeast. I gave the vessel a couple of rousts to mix things a bit. I gave it another more stronger swish and to my complete surprise some beer splashed out from under the tri clamp! I unscrewed the clamp completely and lifted the port lid to discover the gasket was not seated properly, and had apparently been leaking CO2!

I shouted WTF - this is the first time I've ever been THIS stupid! Several members asked if the seals were tight and I said "of course"! Trust me I will never make this mistake again!

NOW I have a NEW problem! I already pitched additional yeast that was apparently unecessary! Here's my question for the gallery:

Will the double pitching destroy the pilsner recipe? Will it just alter the flavor to something new? I know there's nothing to do at this point but wait!

Thanks all!!!

Latest posts

Back