36 cheap American brews - ranked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty funny. Never tried that #1 beer grain belt. I don't know if I can get that here in Michigan. Never seen it.

23. Natural Ice. The soggy cardboard sensation fades after the first several cans, turning Natty Ice into a serviceable alternative to sobriety.
smiley-laughing001.gif

#2 Narragansett ....I agree whole heartedly. I can't lager, so I rely on commericial for lawnmower beer and this is the best beer one can find. It's cheap too. $8 for a 12 pack.

Holds a home in my beer fridge alongside some homebrew during the summer.

Ahhh, fond college memories of the Beast. Farting in the shower and having to then hose off the s-hit bits from the shower wall.

I'll admit I'm a fan of the trader joes house brands, simpler times and name tag specifically. And PBR has been a go to since I started drinking beer.

Narraganset = Armpit... Ha ha.

I can tolorate 3 of the bottom 4. I won't name which one is out because I'd like to leave a little mystery.

EDIT: make that 4 of the bottom 6

I find it hilarious that Narraganset is the current $3 Beer Of The Month at my local World Of Beer.

Should I be ashamed to say I used to love The Beast and Old Milwaukee back in high school?
I still buy a six of Miller High Life from time to time. :p

I remember fondly my dad drinking Nastygansett in bottles back in the 70's. They used to have the rebus puzzles printed on the underside of the cap. I had one of the reboot Narragansetts last year, and it was actually pretty good. Nice trip down memory lane.

I stop at the liquor store at least twice a week on my way home from work to grab a 40 of natural ice. I don't know why, but I just can't stop thinking about it on a hot day in the shop.:drunk:

I'm a little surprised the costco/kirkland branded beer didn't make it in here. It's about as cheap as any of these I find it pretty non-offensive. It's also cheaper to buy 24 bottles of this filled with beer than 24 empty bottles at my lhbs.

Patirck said:
I'm a little surprised the costco/kirkland branded beer didn't make it in here. It's about as cheap as any of these I find it pretty non-offensive. It's also cheaper to buy 24 bottles of this filled with beer than 24 empty bottles at my lhbs.

I tried it once. Was not impressed. Still better than most of that swill.

Is grainbelt regular ABV or that weird light gas station strength that MN sells?
It's regular strength. The weird light (3.2% ABV), is only sold in gas stations & grocery stores. :mug: I had me some Grain Belt yesterday.

21. Natural Light. I drank a lot of this in high school. Do high school kids still drink cheap beer, or is it all the lemonade alcopop bull**** for the lightweights and Four Loko (and the myriad Loko-alikes) for the bad kids? Or worse yet, is it all reefer and pills? I sucked at being a teenager, but I feel like I had the "drinking cheap beer by a fire in the woods" part down cold. If they've changed that step of the program I'll have nothing useful to offer my hypothetical future teens.

My high school years to a T
The cool kids drank Zima with a jolly rancher dropped in for flavor. Us country hicks would drink Natty light with a pull from a cheep whiskey bottle now and then by the fire. Only once did the cool kids party with us....they left early.

The article was great, but the reader comments are even better. I find it hilarious that people are offended by where "their" beer fell on the list.

Yuengling...I will never get it, but some people do obviously.

All we really drank in college was Beast, so when I was on summer break and got my hands on a case of Utica club while visiting the brewery, I was in heaven.

Yuengling...I will never get it, but some people do obviously.

Amen to that. Do I think it's disgusting? No. Do I think it tastes good? No. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't have a pleasant taste to me. I would, however, put it leaps and bounds above most of the beers on that list. My FIL always keeps this and Stella stocked, and I always drink the Stella. And I don't particularly care for that, either, but it's better than Yuengling. And it's free.

(This post should be read as a whisper. I live 10 minutes from PA, and they're pretty fanatical about this beer and Big Ben)

timrox1212 said:
Pretty funny. Never tried that #1 beer grain belt. I don't know if I can get that here in Michigan. Never seen it.

Ask your local party store to get it.. On the west side its distributed by budwiser companies.. I love running a party store!

Love a good Lager! (that's PA code for Yuengling. We just say "Lager" and it automatically means Yuengling at any bar.)

I actually like a lot of beers on this list and was delighted to see some of my favorites getting recognized. High life, PBR, Naragansett, and a few others always have a home at my place. Nothing wrong with cheap beer, just expect it to taste like cheap beer. I'm certainly not gonna fill my beer pong cups with my sour collection...

Back