Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMetroka

Reaction score
About 4 weeks ago I used 20% of a smack pack for a 1 gal test batch. The in used portion went into a sanitized Grolsch bottle and sat in the fridge. Did not do a starter, just pitched it in to a new batch on Sunday.
It is doing nothing at room temperature.

5 gallon batch. 1.040
Purposely under pitched for banana flavor.
Pitched Sunday.

You've sort of done everything wrong. Haha, no offence. Underpitched, with low vitality. That's not how you ferment a hefe. No wonder it's slow. Just see how it goes, it will start eventually but the fermentation might not be the greatest. (Degree of vigor of fermentation is not a good indicator).

Thanks, I’ll give it a couple of more days then maybe a fresh pitch. I was being a cheapskate using the first little bit for the test batch and planning to use the balance on the full batch. No offense taken, that what this forum is for!

Thanks, I’ll give it a couple of more days then maybe a fresh pitch. I was being a cheapskate using the first little bit for the test batch and planning to use the balance on the full batch. No offense taken, that what this forum is for!
And experiences is for learning ;)

I've written a bit about in in different threads, there's no need to underpich a hefe, but you can do it if you want... Always pitch a good dose of healthy yeast. It's the mashing and fermentation temperature which is most important for creating isoamyl acetate.

For a fresh pitch you need to check gravity and look for vitals, to decide if you want to aearate again or not, and pitch an active starter. Oxygen is depleted at that point.

Latest posts

Back