3 weeks later, still at 1.020. Ok to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snipper_cr

Reaction score
Brewed an Oatmeal stout about a month ago with a OG of 1.064. Past few weeks I've measured it and it has been stuck at 1.020. It fermented at 63*F using WLP001 Cali ale yeast.

Previously when I had done this brew, it went down to 1.015 and 1.013 on 2 separate brews. I moved the fermenter to a warmer location, 72* thinking maybe the yeast got too cold to finish the job (I've brewed probably 30-40 beers and never had this problem).

Bouncing some ideas off fellow brewers: I never filtered the beer after cooling it nor did I use whirlfloc. I simply forgot to throw in the whirlfloc and given that it is a super dark oatmeal stout, I wasnt too worried about clarity. Could the added "stuff" in the beer be causing the slightly higher gravity readings?

It tastes great and like I remember, I just dont want to bottle this and suddenly have bottle bombs on my hand.

Thanks for any input!

i say if you've warmed the beer up and maybe roused the yeast a touch, and it's still at 1.020, 3 days later...it's safe to bottle. Just IMO tho. Was this extract or AG? What did you use for yeast?

i say if you've warmed the beer up and maybe roused the yeast a touch, and it's still at 1.020, 3 days later...it's safe to bottle. Just IMO tho. Was this extract or AG? What did you use for yeast?

All grain with WLP001 Cali ale yeast. Yeah it got roused all right - I actually moved it from one location to another about 20 minute drive across town.

i say check it again in a couple days and bottle if it's the same reading. Not knowing what you mashed at.... that is still only 68% AA but sometimes things just don't quite as low as they should

Do you use a yeast nutrient. I had problems with stuck fermantations using 001 and US-05 which i thought wad odd. So i figured it had something to do with our water. Well since I started using a yeast nutrient from my lhbs I havnt had the same problem. Even when not making starters.

I had a beer come out to 1.023 or something one time and it was a good beer . Started high I think 1.065 or something .

Back