3 weeks, I know, I know

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyBrewGood

Reaction score
Please, I know you should wait 3 weeks before you drink a bottled homebrew.

Buuuuttt. I never do. I always have one @ a week and almost always dive right in to the rest by week two. Never an issue.

I recently brewed what I am calling Febtoberfest, but its a AIH Octoberfest http://www.homebrewing.org/Oktoberfest-Marzen-All-Grain-Recipe_p_4988.html
I Think I used 04 but I didn't write it down. I so know I am getting flamed for most of this post but anyway. I fermented for 2 weeks @ 68 and then a week @ room temp (low 70s)

Here is the deal, it tastes Very hot. Alcohol flavor is over the top. from the hydro till now. Been in bottle 2 weeks now and yes it has subsided a bit, but still very much there and unpleasant.

So against my better judgment I posted this to ask do you think this will clear up, (knowing damn well the response will be wait and see, you should never try before 3 weeks)

And mostly, why did this happen?

If it matters I BIAB and I am certain I mashed @154 but my temps drop over the hour to 150 most times. If it wasn't 04 then it was 05.

I have a ferm chamber that maintains 68. I know O.F.s are Marzen lagers but wanted to brew it as an ALE.

Prize goes to the first to say you should wait 3 weeks.

Super Bummed.

Last edited:
I never wait three weeks, so you won't hear that from me!

I think the issue is the S04 yeast at a warm temperature. I rarely use S04, because I find it gets fairly unpleasant when fermented over about 66 degrees. It's great if you can hold it at 60-64 or so, but once it gets over that temperature it throws some weird esters and I dislike it. If it was S05, it should be fine (although cloudy) if fermented at 66-68 if the yeast was healthy.

I only use 04 for pumpkin, spiced ales, stouts and porters. When I tried PALE ALES with 04, I didn't like it. Never tried a Marzen with 04. 05 should have been okay, but that ferment temp is a bit warm, IME for 05. Hopefully it mellows out for you.

I have note used 04 since I've started paying closer attention to fermentation temps, but 68 degrees seems a bit high considering fermentation usually heats up the beer at least five degrees or so. The heat/esters are probably more noticeable since you're shooting for a malt forward semi-lager style.

Maybe next time shoot for cooler fermentation temps and think about a Kolsch or an alt yeast.

You're not the only one that starts cracking bottles at a week. I alway taste my brews early. At least one a week for the first month. I think it's a lot of fun to see how the tastes change in those early stages. This one probably will mellow out on you a bit if you give it some time.

I really need to take better notes.

I think I might have turned down the temp on the inkbird to 64. But from what you guys are saying that's still A little high. My chamber is a joke, basically cardboard and Styrofoam. It holds 68 pretty good. and I have done at least 50 beers thru it with 05 with great results.

I do tape the prob to the carboy with insulation over the prob so I know it reads the internal temp a little better.

I should have used 05, but I don't think I did.

So no one even gave me a shallow "oh don't worry it will clear up!"? Edit I see Tgreen tossed me a bone.

Taking good notes throughout the brewing process is one of the best things I've done. I try to jot down pretty much everything - type of yeast used (dry or liquid). Size of starter, whether I decanted starter, mash temp (if all-grain), OG, first impression of OG sample (taste, etc.), when I saw fermentation activity, when it slowed, FG, when I racked (if I did), when I dry hopped (if I did), flavor profile at racking and bottling time, how I like the beer at 1-2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc. It's good to be able to go back to your own notes and see if you've experienced certain things before and how to learn from mistakes.

Taking good notes throughout the brewing process is one of the best things I've done. I try to jot down pretty much everything - type of yeast used (dry or liquid). Size of starter, whether I decanted starter, mash temp (if all-grain), OG, first impression of OG sample (taste, etc.), when I saw fermentation activity, when it slowed, FG, when I racked (if I did), when I dry hopped (if I did), flavor profile at racking and bottling time, how I like the beer at 1-2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc. It's good to be able to go back to your own notes and see if you've experienced certain things before and how to learn from mistakes.

I need to do this. Sometimes I forget to write down the brew date, much less anything else. I blame success. If it all goes well I don't care. When I have an issue or someone asks a question, I have no idea. I think I will remember but I NEVER do.

Yeah, with each batch my notes get more detailed. That's not to say each batch is better than the last - it's not, but at least I'm creating a bigger file from which to learn.

Wow. So much to say here, so I'll sum it up:

1. You need to wait AT LEAST THREE WEEKS. This is very important, because by then, I'll finish mine, and I can come over and drink yours.
2. It's better if you wait AT LEAST THREE MONTHS. That guarantees you'll have a reserve supply when my kegs are empty.

So the big question is: in the meantime, you've almost certainly got another batch in your fermenter?

I always wait at least 3 years before tasting my beers. At a week, you haven't even begun developing those classic cardboard aromatics.

This is an Oktoberfest or an IPA?
My Marzen beer is grain to glass in 5 months and well worth the wait.

Back