3 months for ferm to start!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzoard

Reaction score
I started two demijohns off at the end of the summer and nothing happened for 3 months. A month ago I added some of the yeast from a friends batch and last night I noticed the airlock showed pressure in the vessel. I tapped it and it bubbled through, smelt it and it smells of fermentation.

If I leave it and it starts to ferm properly (at a normal bubble rate) is it going to be OK do you think?

Thanks

HOw do you know it wasn't already fermented. Did you take any gravity readings ? Its unlikely that it is fermenting from what you pitched 1 month ago, unless the temps were awfully low and the yeast was dormant.

Yeah, I took an SG reading before ferm and after 2 months. No change.

It's a good reminder though, I should check it again now but visually the air lock hasn't done much bubbling.

Would it help if I added a sugar / yeast mix to help it along?

I used fresh apples and juiced them myself. The temperature swing in my house is large, but its only got bigger during the winter (when the ferm actually started).

Right. This is crazy. I've not seen these bubble at all in the first two months, didn't check so frequently in the last month and I just checked the sg. 1000!. With a start of 1056, it should be about 7.5%. I need to be way more attentive for future batches!

Neither tasted that nice and one demijohn smelled a little like rotten eggs. More research needed!

CHeers for the help!

Back