3 gallon keg vs. 5 gallon keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrc64

Reaction score
Am I missing something here? Why are 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs selling for around $80-$90 each yet I can grab a 5 gallon keg for around $55-$60??

Why would someone pay more for a smaller keg? Couldn't the 5 gallon keg accomplish the same thing as a 3 Gallon?? Seems like a waste of money to me.

I do a lot of 2.5 gal batches, and I like the 2.5 gallon stackable kegs because I can fit two in my keezer in the space of one 5 gallon keg. Then I have a 3 gallon one that fits on the hump, which was just wasted space before. I also like the idea of not wasting extra CO2 purging/carbonating a larger keg, although that's just a side issue.

There are close to billions of 5gal kegs left over from the Pepsi/Cocacola switch to plastic bagged syrups.

Unfortunately only after homebrewers took on the now "defunct" kegs for homebrewing did companys start to cash in with smaller size kegs.

Most of the 3gal kegs you see are much newer and demand is much higher than supply.
Versatility is the game, i would rather have 4 3gal kegs than 2 5gal ones in my keezer.

There are close to billions of 5gal kegs left over from the Pepsi/Cocacola switch to plastic bagged syrups.

Unfortunately only after homebrewers took on the now "defunct" kegs for homebrewing did companys start to cash in with smaller size kegs.

Most of the 3gal kegs you see are much newer and demand is much higher than supply.
Versatility is the game, i would rather have 4 3gal kegs than 2 5gal ones in my keezer.

I get I suppose. For me, I'll save $ and go with the 5 gallon kegs. At least it can hold the 3 gallons, and then 5 when needed.

I have three 3 gallon kegs. I love them! I can put them in my little dorm fridge kegerator (with no modifications to the inside of the fridge), I can fit them in a cooler with picnic taps, I can fill it for parties and just take a c02 charger "gun", I can bottle 2 gallons and keg 3 gallons, etc.

I make a lot of 10 gallon batches (two 5 gallon kegs) but I can also make a 7 gallon batch and keg some for home and a small one for the cottage. I'd love to have a couple more, even through right now two are empty.

I also keg cider in the small ones. They are handy to have, but won't replace my 5 gallon kegs.

I have three 3 gallon kegs. I love them! I can put them in my little dorm fridge kegerator (with no modifications to the inside of the fridge), I can fit them in a cooler with picnic taps, I can fill it for parties and just take a c02 charger "gun", I can bottle 2 gallons and keg 3 gallons, etc.

I make a lot of 10 gallon batches (two 5 gallon kegs) but I can also make a 7 gallon batch and keg some for home and a small one for the cottage. I'd love to have a couple more, even through right now two are empty.

I also keg cider in the small ones. They are handy to have, but won't replace my 5 gallon kegs.

I need me some 2.5-3gal ones for parties now!!!!
Corny in a cooler is genius.

I have switched to smaller kegs. I love how versatile they are. I can travel with one in a 5 gallon cooler to parties, use them on my boat, and leave one in my kitchen fridge without moving food around.

The cost was not much due to selling larger kegs to fund smaller kegs.

Having an additional, smaller, keg in your arsenal is very handy.

When mine isn't in use it's set up for flushing out my beer lines.

Sometimes I'll brew 2.5 gal test batches on my stove top and transfer over to the small keg. I've even split 5 gal batches (fill up the 3 gal, the rest to a 5 gal) because I knew I'd be going out of town and would be wanting to take the 3 gal with me. Add picnic taps, a co2 charger and a bucket of ice and you've got a perfect homebrew party setup to go.

I have 9 three gallon kegs and 9 five gallon kegs. I use the 5 gallon more often, but the small kegs are great for taking on trips and brewing smaller batches. I also like mashing 6 gallons of wort, but splitting it into two 3 gallon batches and change one of the ingredients.

Why do 20 oz coke bottles cost more than 2 liters?

Price of convenience, supply and demand. They most likely sell more of the popular 5 gallon so the price lowers.

Now the cokes is just greed. More popular size sells more so the raise the price and line their pockets.

I was thinking of going with the 3 gallon keg because I don't want to buy a different dorm fridge.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add my 2 cents anyways. I have 8 x 3 gal kegs and I am happy as hell! My Kegerator can hold 2 at a time and I still have enough head space to have the top shelf installed and filled with canned "emergency beer". Also I don't have to worry about the left over between my 23L batch and 19L keg. 11.5L fits nicely into each 3 gal keg with only a little bit of room left over. Also with multiple kegs I can have 4 different beers to choose from at keg swapping time. :))

Back