3 Gal BIAB Recipes Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mic

Reaction score
Hey all! New to brewing & have been lurking for quite some time. I'm thinking skipping extract and going straight to BIAB.

My question is...What is a simple calculation that would take the 5 gal batch recipies here & converit it to 3 gal BIAB?

I'm assuming the calculations would be different from IPA/stout and so on.

Thanks for a great site!

Ryan

mic said:
My question is...What is a simple calculation that would take the 5 gal batch recipies here & converit it to 3 gal BIAB?

assuming same efficiency, you would just multiply everything by 0.6 (3/5).
Efficiency depends if you sparge the bag or not, but will generally be lower than with the traditional manifold. That's not an absolute rule though.
I would assume low, and see what your method yields then adjust. Maybe start with 0.75 x 5 gallon quantities. Be prepared to adjust gravity up, or boil longer, or end up with an extra gallon. Hop accordingly.

Get some kind of brewing software like ibrewmaster for your phone. It will scale every part of your recipe for you. Important thing for 3gallon biab is a really good scale.

Thanks for the input...and yes, math is stoopid!!!

What about the yeast? Just use the entire packet/vial?

Thanks for the input...and yes, math is stoopid!!!

What about the yeast? Just use the entire packet/vial?

I would think you'll be fine using the entire packet/vial--some beers would prefer it. :)

I would recommend mr. Malty for the yeast. Even with the reduced volume, you might need a starter or more grams of dry yeast than you think. Especially true if the tube/pack is as old as is typical from my LHBS.

If you use a standard HBS grind, you will have lower efficiency than a normal mash method, but if you are going to BIAB you can grind the crap out of it. I always regrind and I get anywhere from low 80's to low 90's if I make flour out of it. Irish moss cleans it up in primary and the beer turns out great. Good luck with your efforts.

Latest posts

Back