3/8" tubing with chugger pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_Climber

Reaction score
Do you think I will having issues using 3/8" tubing with a chugger pump. I am looking to setup a HERMS system, and right now my igloo cooler MT outlet is 3/8" so I though to stick with 3/8" on everything.

My concern was the inlet to the pump, will 3/8" cause problems with the primer and make the pump have issues?

If you only have 1 3/8 fitting, do yourself a long term favor and switch everything to 1/2. You will thank us all later.

OK, so do you suggest to use reducing fittings?? Also, why....does the 3/8" fittings just don't have the volume of flow needed?

I guess to add to this question, my igloo cooler will not fit a 1/2" nipping though the hole at the bottom, just a 3/8"...so what do people do?? just use 3/8" here and 1/2" everywhere else? Drill the hole bigger??

I can't say this problem was related to using 3/8 inch line as I use 1/2 lines but when I tried to use a 3/8" chiller for a HERMS set up it seemed that the pump couldn't flow enough liquid which caused the impeller to over heat and the pump would disengage.

It seems that I don't have this problem when the pump is running with 1/2" lines.

why....does the 3/8" fittings just don't have the volume of flow needed?
Simple. 3/8 inch ID is half the area of 1/2 inch ID. Same pressure from the pump, half the flow, et voilà!

Your 3/8 diameter fittings and hose will cause more flow resistance throughout the entire system.

Also be aware of restrictions caused by inexpensive valves. Full-flow valves are usually 3/8 and 1/2 true flow ID. Inexpensive valves often have a restricted port: the 3/8" valve has a 1/4" passage and the 1/2" has a 3/8" passage. Check this out on the valves at HD or Lowes. They are brass but have the same geometry as SS.

3/8 inch chiller - I always thought it would be interesting to build a 25 ft double-helix chiller with 3/8 copper tubing. Wind 2x25 ft of 3/8 side by side, and have the inlet and outlet joined to 1/2 inch tubing. The temperature differential at the outlet would be higher so the heat transfer would be faster. It would chill the wort a heck of a lot faster than a single 50 ft x 1/2" chiller.

+1 on 1/2 ", but it really only matters on the suction side. You don't want to starve the pump or run the pump dry.

Check this out on the valves at HD or Lowes. They are brass but have the same geometry as SS.

I understand the valve...but what about the brass nipples...are you saying that a 3/8" brass nipple, that goes though the body of the cooler, I can get a 1/2" SS nipple to fit?

This would be on the suction side...so any ideas on a solution, if I still want to use my igloo cooler for a MT? I have seen people with different builds, using pumps and igloo coolers...

What about using the 3/8" at the cooler, and then 1/2" tubing and fitting everywhere else?

I should have said this earlier. I bought a chugged pump a year ago and ran into issue with the impeller locking up. I called the company, they told me you can not use less than .5" on the suction side. In addition you need full port valve on the suction side. I would recommend half on the discharge as well. Like stated above you will thanks us later.

OK thanks guys....I will take the advice and use 1/2" all the way around from the start...

I just was not sure if I needed to do extra work on the igloo cooler to get 1/2" to work...or if some of the kits from say "morebeer" would be a direct fit...

I will just plan on doing some extra work on the cooler either way, and if it fits then just less work...

Thx

Go to Bargain Fittings or Brew Harware for your hardware.

OK thanks guys....I will take the advice and use 1/2" all the way around from the start...

I just was not sure if I needed to do extra work on the igloo cooler to get 1/2" to work...or if some of the kits from say "morebeer" would be a direct fit...

I will just plan on doing some extra work on the cooler either way, and if it fits then just less work...

Thx

Back