3/8 silicon tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll have to use a hose clamp. And you may get an air bubble where the two come together. Can I ask why you want to use silicone for racking? Typically silicone is more expensive and not really necessary for racking.

my siphon tubing is already starting to keep odors and is getting off color, i was going to get silicon because it doesnt degrade. I need a couple lengths of it for other things so I was just going to get 5 ft for siphoning too

I use 3/8 silicone tubing with my large size (1/2 inch) autosiphon and it works great. I don't need a hose clamp, the tubing slips on and off pretty easily, and can be sanitized by boiling. If you have the smaller size autosiphon, I don't know whether you will be able to get by with not using a hose clamp, but you certainly won't have any problem getting the tubing onto the autosiphon.

I actually found some 5/16 silicon tubing on an auction site, it will fit my siphon perfectly, just need some of that for my siphon and some 3/8 for my kettle!

Silicon tubing is stretchy - my 3/8 silicon tubing easily stretches to fit over my 1/2 inch autosiphon cane. In this case, using smaller tubing than the cane OD is desirable because it makes an airtight seal without needing a hose clamp.

thanks for the tip, I'll order 3/16" instead of 5/16" for the siphon. Should I order 1/4" for a 3/8" barb for the ball valve on the kettle?

thanks for the tip, I'll order 3/16" instead of 5/16" for the siphon. Should I order 1/4" for a 3/8" barb for the ball valve on the kettle?

I don't have any experience with any sizes except 1/2 and 3/8 inch tubing. All I can say is that the 1/2 inch silicone tubing slips over my 1/2 inch autosiphon cane easily and seems like it probably would form an airtight seal if slid far enough onto the cane. The 3/8 tubing requires a bit more force and can't be forced as far onto the cane, but makes a very tight (airtight) seal, so that is what I use. I just now tried some 3/8 silicone tubing on a regular 3/8 OD racking cane and it goes on very easily, but still seems like it would probably make an airtight seal if you shoved the cane a couple of inches up into the tubing. If your autosiphon has 5/16 OD, then I'd say you don't want tubing with an ID larger than that, but I think I'd use either 5/16 or 1/4 inch ID rather than going all the way down to 3/16.

As for the 3/8 barb, I just tried sliding some 3/8 silicone tubing onto a 3/8 barb and it seems like it would work fine with a hose clamp to secure it. Remember that the smaller your tubing, the slower your flow rate.

it would work, but i wouldnt use 1/4" for transfering unless you have a lot of time on your hands to wait. thats the same reason i wouldnt put 3/8" tubing on a 1/2" racking cane- just because it will slow it down quite a bit. i just put a zip tie on the end instead of a hose clamp. that has more than enough pressure to make the seal air tight if you are using the thick-walled silicone.

I use silicone tubing on my auto-siphon - both are the 1/2" size. I've got some 3/8 silicone tubing for a SS cane that I never use, never thought about stretching it over the 1/2" cane...Hmmm.....
However, as was mentioned above, it will slow down the transfer speed. The 1/2" tubing on the 1/2" auto-siphon makes for some quick kegging :)

FWIW, these things are the best for silicone tubing - whether it be racking canes, auto-siphons, hose barbs, etc.:
Large-kwiklamp-th.jpg

Buy them here or in bigger quantities from McMaster or Grainger. Very handy and easy to use

I may just save some hassle and buy a 1/2" auto siphon and 1/2" barb and just order 3/8" tubing and be done!

I would not recommend 3/8 tubing with a 1/2 inch barb - you may not be able to get it all the way on. If you are going to buy a 1/2 inch autosiphon anyway, I think you could use 1/2 inch tubing OK - at worst you'd need a hose clamp or zip tie, but probably not even that if you slide the tubing a couple of inches up onto the cane.

EDIT: I just checked the 1/2 inch barb - max OD on the barbs is about 0.55, whereas the OD on the 1/2 inch autosiphon is really 0.50.

Latest posts

Back