2nd drained co2 tank: help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adc123

Reaction score
When I first got my co2 setup, I think I got about four kegs of force carb and serving out of it. Wanting to get more kegs into my fridge, I got a manifold. Around then I got a my first refill of my tank. Within one keg, its was dead! I was, needless to say, frustrated. I got the tank refilled. I looked for leaks, couldn't find any. I put gas tape on gas in lines (maybe not all the lines, which could be my issue). I tightened up the tube clamps. To test the leakage, I gassed up the lines, closed all the valves, and then turned off gas valve. The system held the pressure for more than 24 hours, so I figured it was solid.

This morning, I come down to clean the lines, and the gas is dead! It was just fine a few days ago!

So I figure it could be:

The manifold; its new, but maybe its got a small leak?
The regulator; I did that gas leak test for more than 24 hours, so i figured the regulator couldn't be an issue.
No teflon tape on all the gas fittings; should I need it?
Unconnected gas disconnects; I leave disconnects on free lines but not connected to kegs. The valve on the manifold was open to it as well. Is this a possible leakage path?

I also use all pin lock kegs, FWIW.

Try mixing up a few drops of dish soap in a small spray bottle. Spray it over any area where you have a connection. If you have a leak anywhere you should see small bubbles at the source.

I had a leak before. Once it was fixed I've gotten over 9 kegs force carbed and served.

Charge the system to about 30psi and listen for leaks. Also, anyplace you have a swivelnut make sure you have one of the plastic spacers on the connection (to the threads). The plastic item goes inside the nut so that it goes between the male fitting and the top of the nut. Prevents metal on metal contact leaks.

If you're using worm clamps, change over to Oetiker clamps. They seal MUCH better and easier. Plus they provide a full 360° seal unlike worm clamps.

[quote="]Also, anyplace you have a swivelnut make sure you have one of the plastic spacers on the connection (to the threads). The plastic item goes inside the nut so that it goes between the male fitting and the top of the nut. Prevents metal on metal contact leaks.
.[/quote]

This

If you are using flare fittings, teflon tape won't gain you anything because it will just leak right past the nut.
As others have said, the plastic washers are a must have, use oetiker/pex clamps, and check your kegs.
A reg that holds pressure for 24 hours is likely sound, but every union is suspect.
You can disconnect your system, add one component, pressurize, then turn off tank gas valve. If you lose pressure, whatever you added is leaking. Hunt it down, rinse repeat with each item.

The unused disconnects you have pressureized could very well be the culprit. I always shut mine off if not in use. To check this, dunk them in a bucket of water or spray with starsan etc. Some of mine will leak when unhooked from keg. Also check post o rings, make sure they dont leak when wiggled.

While you're hunting down the leak, also start hunting down a second tank from CL. Really helps take the sting out of an unexpectedly empty tank when you've got another full one there. I've got a 20# in the garage for conditioning, a 20# in the kegerator for serving, and a 5# backup, all found for $5/ea off craigslist.

Got my tank refilled; I replaced a few clamps (and I am going to order some Oetikers as well). Cranked it up to 40 PSI. I found one leak on the top of a disconnect. The o-ring wasn't sitting perfectly well. Fixing that, I turned the tank off and seeing how much gas gets out of the next few days. Kegging a new brew this weekend, so this should tell me if the problem is in the lines or the keg. The o-rings are all new, but maybe I haven't used enough keg lube in all the right places.... ;)

Latest posts

Back