2nd brew is lookin gross! pic inside.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betacrash

Reaction score
Im brewing my second beer (steam style) after brewing a successful winter ale. My only fermented for about two days but it still had a very thick layer of bubbles on top and came out great. This one had a steady stream of bubbles for 4 days and recently stopped. i took a look and a picture and i must say that it doesnt smell the greatest and it looks gross. this recipe called for hops to be put into the pot and when I poured it into my fermenter I tried to filter it out with a funnel and a screen but it got clogged instanly so i just poured it all in. is that ok? i also noticed that the temp was at 64 degrees so i moved it to a warmer place to see if that is why it may have stopped fermenting. i know i know DWHAHBAR (whatever you guys say)

im just worried about my baby.

WHAT ARE THOSES GROSS CHUNKS!?
1002104dm4.jpg

My last beer I bottled (APA-Nacirema Pale Ale), had the same thing, I let it sit for a few more days, and VOILA!, they were all gone. OF course it was in the Primary for 19 days at that time.

Have you tried using Irish Moss? It helps clarify the beer a bit, add during last 15 minutes of boil. I think it helps take the yeast proteins down to the bottom of the fermenter.

Have you tried the swirling technique? At the end of the boil, stir the wort creating a whirlpool and the sediment will congregate toward the center of the kettle. Then you can simply siphon with you siphon hose from the side of the pot. You will get very little trub in the fermenter.

You know what's funny? that title makes us all run in here to check it out!

I call those floaters "yeast clumpies". They are actually signs of yeast flocculation- when the yeast clumps together, and either floats, or sinks to the bottom. When you rack, just try not to suck any of it up.

Some yeasts are very flocculant, and you'll see that more. Some are less flocculant and don't really clump together much. Either way, it's fine!

Yea I got a batch with the same thing I was wondering if that was something out of the ordinary but it is also swirling around with great intensity.

Oh man, sorry to break it to you but that is a HUGE infection. JK, I've got some of those floating in my fermenting amber ale right now. Funny thing is, I have two carboys of the same recipe...one with Nottingham dry yeast, one with S-05. The S-05 is crystal clear, the Nottingham has "yeast clumpies"(thanks yooper for the proper nomenclature). I'm not sure what this means, but I'm pretty sure if i look at them long enough I'll see my future. Not that this is any amazing task...my future is made up mostly of drinking some amber ale I brewed at home. :D

RDWHAHB!

thanks for the reassurance guys. i will try not to do this everytime that i make a batch. i did put some irish moss in and used a different yeast (saflager w-34 70). so i guess that could make it not look like my last batch that just used muntons yeast. thanks again guys. By the way, is there a thread that explains all of the acronyms used on this site? ive seen a few that i dont know.

That ain't nothing - wat till one looks REAL bad. No worries. You can get some pretty nasty looking krausen at times. Crazy ugly.

Looks fine to me as well...Yeast clumpies are fine, but just wait til you use a yeast (like nttingham) that produces "Krausen Kurdles" now those are scary looking...think brown cottage cheese...

Im brewing my second beer (steam style) after brewing a successful winter ale. My only fermented for about two days but it still had a very thick layer of bubbles on top and came out great. This one had a steady stream of bubbles for 4 days and recently stopped. i took a look and a picture and i must say that it doesnt smell the greatest and it looks gross.....

WHAT ARE THOSES GROSS CHUNKS!?
1002104dm4.jpg

Heh, My girlfriend thinks mine also smells gross. I just started 4 gallons of a steamer beer the other day, and I guess I don't remember this smell the last time I did this last month. Something with the White Labs 810 yeast or Northern Brewer hops (also unstrained like yours) I guess ... I'm just happy with the violence that the trub is getting tossed around in there. This is my first batch in a carboy instead of a bucket, and whoa, it's totally fun to watch! The yeast gets pretty wild in there! prost!:mug:

Just remember if you ever dry hop you will get some nasty stuff on the TOP of the fermenter, especially if you rack too soon and it tries to build a new krauzen amindst the hop oils being secreted...pretty scary if I do say so myself.

As Yooper said, the title made me run in here to look. I get yeast clumps.

They scared me too until I read up on flocculation. To put it in simple terms my feeble mind could understand, I drew this bad analogy.

Highly flocculant yeast are like a huge, hedonistic orgy. They'll just attach to each other like crazy in big old groups. Low flocculation yeast are like monogomous couples, nice and cozy together. What you have there looks like a threesome, maybe a medium flocculation yeast that is caught in the middle of being monogomous but toying with the idea of a huge orgy.

At least that's my take.:D

The best thing to do is put everything in a pail like that and leave it. Don't be taking the lid off after 4 days just to sneak a peak. Just forget about it for a while, something magical happens and when the day on the calendar tells you to, you move the beer to another container or whatever. The only thing you will accomplish sneakin a peak is freaking yourself out, or giving your beer a real infection!

Alternatively, you could invest in a carboy or better bottle, and while away the hours watching the yeast curds swirl in the fermenter.

I swear, it's more hypnotic than a lava lamp.

Alternatively, you could invest in a carboy or better bottle, and while away the hours watching the yeast curds swirl in the fermenter.

I swear, it's more hypnotic than a lava lamp.

You can also watch them on youtube...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nECQB7G8J0&feature=PlayList&p=272FF1F5FD713A14&playnext=1&index=27]YouTube - IPA Fermentation[/ame]

If the clumps start talking to you, then you definitely have an infection... or you drank to much.

Back