2nd AG Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenglass

Reaction score
Finished up my 2nd AG brew earlier today, using the recipe here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/recipe-advice-103376/

All went fairly smoothly, although I was above my target mash temperature by a couple of degrees. I was aiming for 152F, hit 154F. I guess it'll be a little heavier than I planned. I think I can live with that... :drunk:

I also ended up with an unscheduled 15 minute "sparge rest" when I had to take my son to a basketball game right after pouring 2.5 gallons of 185F sparge water into the mash tun... don't think that will hurt.

Extracted 6.8 gallons at SG 1.034

After boil (reduced pre-boil to 20 minutes) I still ended up with only 4.25 gallons in the fermenter, with an OG of 1.043. A few points above my target, but lower volume than target. Either way, I was very pleased to see the black syrupy runoff from the mash tun. Mmmmm. Treacle.

I'm sure it'll be great in a few weeks :)

From that I calculate extraction efficiency of 83% and brewhouse efficiency of 65%. That sounds like a big loss between the two.

Is that normal? Any thoughts on that much appreciated...

Back