2MaSH recommendation for cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFancyPlants

Reaction score
I have only attempted a couple of batches so far and would like to try and dial down the number of variables in order to get my mashing process and hop profiles down.
3-Gallon BIAB
7# of grain total.
4oz cascade pellets.

I was thinking something like :
5# 2-row + (2# crystal 10L or 2#mild if available)

cascade
1oz - mash
1oz - 60min
1oz - flameout
1oz - dryhop in corny

Any tips, tweaks or recommendations for the adjunct?

Why not go for a single malt instead of two? You could increase/decrease the mash temperature to increase/decrease the mouth/malt feel.

MC

This. I feel like almost 30% crystal anything will be a little cloying. 100% maris otter mashed a little higher may be similar in flavor and mouthfeel but might attenuate a little more complete. That said, I'm on the no crystal bandwagon as of late.

Thanks for the input, I suppose I could do a standard SMaSH. If you are off the crystal bandwagon, is there another low L adjunct that might fit the bill at 20+%, or do you stick with a single base malt?

If I went for SMaSH instead, how does the proposed hop schedule look? I like hops but was trying to focus on flavor and aroma over bitterness. My ultimate goal is to find a hop schedule that pleases me and my wife, but I may be shooting for the stars.

4 oz in a 3 gal batch? I would 1/2 all of the hops. Have you calced the IBU's?

I've found I get some complexity just splitting base malts. 50% American 2 row and 50% maris otter for example, but there are all kinds of base malt combos to play with. How about 2 pounds of vienna or even light munich? As for the hop schedule, maybe find a commercial beer you like of the same style that publishes it's IBUs and work from there with the assumption that earlier additions add more bitterness and later additions add more aroma and flavor. Bitterness and hop flavor not being the same thing. The elusive house pale ale to satisfy everyone will take some experimentation. That's part of the fun.

Assuming OG of 1.06
0 ibu from mash hops
0 ibu from hopstand
0 ibu from dry hops
and 28.95 ibu from the 60min boil

could I just halve the boil hops?

Thanks for the input, I suppose I could do a standard SMaSH. If you are off the crystal bandwagon, is there another low L adjunct that might fit the bill at 20+%, or do you stick with a single base malt?

If I went for SMaSH instead, how does the proposed hop schedule look? I like hops but was trying to focus on flavor and aroma over bitterness. My ultimate goal is to find a hop schedule that pleases me and my wife, but I may be shooting for the stars.

I think it's fine to include some crystal if you want, it's the 2 lb in 3 gal that's the issue. If using it I like to go about 5-7% in pale ales, which is like 5-7 oz for a 3 gal batch. If for some reason you are set on using 20% of another malt Vienna might be a good choice. The hops look okay to me for your goals but check the IBU's as acid mentioned.

For a simple Cascade Pale Ale, I actually really like Caravienne used sparingly. I personally think it's much less "crystal"-y tasting than crystal malts proper (yes I know they're similar things).

I seem to be a slow typist. Is your cascade very low AA? Plugging in your recipe on my 3 gal system and cascade from this year I'm getting like 40 IBU from that 60 min addtion. I never use mash hops, I thought there was a slight contribution to IBU and you may get some if you hopstand over 170* though it seems many of the calculators overestimate the perceived bittering with this.

I like the Vienna or light Munich ideas, thank you very much for your input, although if the LHBS has "mild" malt, I don't know if I can turn that down. I am also thinking of switching up the hops schedule to:

1.5oz during mash
.5oz FWH
1oz at flameout
1oz for dry hop.

I like 60 minutes with 60 ibu, but half that should appeal to more pallets. Since only the .5oz boil hops technically contribute 15 ibu, it will be interesting to see how much hop profile I can build via alternative means.

Is your cascade very low AA? Plugging in your recipe on my 3 gal system and cascade from this year I'm getting like 40 IBU from that 60 min addtion.

I searched and saw 4.5-6.0% aa for cascade, so I dropped 5% in the calc I was running. Also I'll be boiling in a 3G pot so i'll have less liquid than that for boiling and then topping off in the fermentor.

I'm also going to use the dunk sparge from this run + 2lb carmelized honey in another 3G batch of (attempted) lawnmower braggot, in parallel, just because us new guys have to try some sort of crazy #$%@ in order to increase the chance of making a crazy mess.

Thanks again for your input. I'll update with the results as they are available.

Back