25 Gallon EBIAB Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raz0rr0b

Reaction score
Just completed this build.
25 Gallon Bayou Classic SS Pot
Bayou {{Steamer}} Basket
Chugger SS center inlet pump
5500w element
Auber PID / Control Box
Brew Hardware weldless element housing
Brew Hardware Camlock fittings
Brew Hardware Sightglass
1/2" Silicone hose
Plate Chiller

Pot2.jpg
The basket on the left is the Steamer basket. The basket on the right is a boil basket. A very costly mistake indeed. The bayou kettle basket design changes at the ~13 to 15 gallon mark and does not sit on the rim of the pot. This is not made clear in any of the descriptions that I found. The boil basket is too tall to allow for an element. After quite a few phone calls the bayou people would not accept a return on the boil basket, which was unused. They said that they didn't have enough boxes and that it would have been so beat up in shipping that it would be unusable. In any case they finally gave me dealer pricing on the STEAMER basket (which the rep didn't even know existed until I encouraged him to look at their website.)
WIPbaskets.jpg
Pump.jpg
Internal.jpg
PID.jpg
Element.jpg
Hose.jpg
PlateChiller.jpg

Auber and Brewhardware were both great resources for this project and I would recommend them to anyone interested in doing something similar.

A big thanks to Kal, PJ and the homebrewtalk community for the great insight and information. I will add a brew day picture soon and if anyone has any questions feel free to post or pm me.

That steamer basket is a nice solution, if its in your budget. You can cut off and use the bottom few inches of the regulat basket as a false bottom for BIAB. Flip it and put the cut side down. Additional cut outs can be made for elements, if you need it.

How big of batches are you planning? No sparge?

You can cut off and use the bottom few inches of the regulat basket as a false bottom for BIAB. Flip it and put the cut side down. Additional cut outs can be made for elements, if you need it.

A good idea above, seems like perhaps a higher chance of stuck sparge with a false bottom over using a basket. With the basket the wort has a greater surface area of the basket and the top of the basket without grain should never be restricted...maybe some people just try and pump too fast when recirculating BIAB, IDK.

Very nice build raz0rr0b, nice to see some large batch BIAB rigs, for some reason I feel many don't consider BIAB a viable method for large batch brewing, but I have done several 1/2B (15.5 gal.) batches without issue.

Looks good. I took the boil basket and threw some 304SS Nuts/Bolts/Washers onto and made my own legs for it.
I was also thinking of putting legs on the basket. The problem is that the basket would then extend above the top of the kettle. My sparge system is built into the lid so I didn't choose that option.

Looks good. I took the boil basket and threw some 304SS Nuts/Bolts/Washers onto and made my own legs for it.
I was also thinking of putting legs on the basket. The problem is that the basket would then extend above the top of the kettle. My sparge system is built into the lid so I didn't choose that option.

A good idea above, seems like perhaps a higher chance of stuck sparge with a false bottom over using a basket. With the basket the wort has a greater surface area of the basket and the top of the basket without grain should never be restricted...maybe some people just try and pump too fast when recirculating BIAB, IDK.

Very nice build raz0rr0b, nice to see some large batch BIAB rigs, for some reason I feel many don't consider BIAB a viable method for large batch brewing, but I have done several 1/2B (15.5 gal.) batches without issue.
One of the main reasons I chose a basket over a false bottom was the weight of doing 10+ gallon batches. I have been just lifting it out by hand right now but could use a ratcheting strap or winch to pull the basket with the bag out.

That steamer basket is a nice solution, if its in your budget. You can cut off and use the bottom few inches of the regulat basket as a false bottom for BIAB. Flip it and put the cut side down. Additional cut outs can be made for elements, if you need it.

How big of batches are you planning? No sparge?
Have brewed two 10 gallon batches so far. It is a light recipe, Cream of three crops (awesome) and there is plenty of room to spare with the full volume mash. With really big beers I would just hold some of the water back if it is too close to the top, then add the rest at boil.

I am currently doing no sparge full volume mash. After the mash I just let the basket hang on an angle on top of the kettle to drip until the boil begins. There is a little hinged thing at the bottom of the steamer basket that you can pull out that holds it in place.

This makes for a pretty easy brew day. Before this I used a keggle / cooler with a horrible burner so the difference is night and day.

Latest posts

Back