24hour fermentation, then nothing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan300man

Reaction score
My Pale ale, OG of 1.050, with Muntons Ale yeast, the 2gallon batch is divided between two fermenters, one is about 0.7 gallons in a glass 1-gallon carboy, and the rest, 1.3 gallons, is in a 2-gallon bucket. Both have bubble airlocks. I saw bubbling on both after 11 hours, but at 24 hours, I watched for 5 minutes and did not see a bubble on either. Any suggestions? The temp is about 68-70 degrees.

The usual: swirl around the fermenters a few times to wash the yeast back down into the beer. If that doesn't help, then move it to a warmer place.

It's a small amount of a lower gravity beer so it's quite possible that primary fermentation is done already. Leave it go a week then check the gravity.

Edit: looks like I replied about this beer in another post. A chunk of your gravity points came from maltodextrin which won't ferment so I'd think it's done. Still, let it go a week before checking gravity and don't be surprised if it's between 1.015-1.020

Thanks for the replies. I'll plan to transfer it to two 1-gallon glass carboys, to get it off the trub. Long story, but I have a fair amount of both the hops and the grain residues that have settled out. I will do that and then give it about a week to see what happens, then bottle it.

I talked to the local brew-pub guy and he wasn't surprised a small 1-gallon doesn't bubble constantly, given the overall small amount of liquid. I think I will be keeping my entire batch in a single primary fermenter, instead of splitting between two. When the intitial fementation is done, then I'll break it down into the two smaller glass carboys. This may come in handy if I want to experiment with dry hopping one and not the other, or adding a flavor to one carboy in a wheat recipe in an upcoming batch.

I transferred it to the two carboys 2 days ago and the gravity was at 1.018. Tonight, checked it again and I am still at 1.018. Have not seen any bubbling since the initial fermentation. Tasted the brew after they hydrometer reading and it is tasty! It is a darker color ale, but hoppy and delicious. My hopes went from slim to sky-high. I will be tied up at a friends wedding and out of town on work, and I don't see any chance to bottle in the next 12 days unless I do it tomorrow. That would be exactly 9 days from kettle to bottle. Too soon? Subdivisions, you had guesses it would come out at 1.015-1.020, spot-on! I have about 1.8 gallons left, it is a small batch.

Nice. Glad it worked out. You could bottle it tomorrow. When I calculated your batch it came out to 1.018. I just gave some extra leeway in my prediction.

EDIT: Looked at the time you posted. If you meant today then go for it

Thanks for the advice, I bottled it up, got 18 bottles out of it. I used priming sugar (corn sugar), following the calculator amount, worked like a charm.

I’ll close up this thread, but figured I would add to the info in case it helps someone one day, I noticed that part of my grains were not really ground up. About ½ of the Crystal was ground properly, but I believe none of the Maris otter. I am thinking my low efficiency might be due in part to this.

I believe the high FG is due to the maltodextrin? Perhaps if I brew this again, I will make sure the grains are properly ground, and cut back on the maltodextrin. Who knows, maybe the better efficiency will work with this amount.
Im also going to try to ferment in a single larger vessel, have to get myself a 3.5 gallon for the next round. I think that is easier to monitor.

It is only 1 week in the bottle, but I opened one up to check the progress. The bottle opened with a nice pfffft, so the carbonation looks perfect. The color is a nice deep amber color, but not quite as dark as some of the recent DIPAs I have had.

Overall, the first couple words to describe would be crisp, light, refreshing.

I thought the maltodextrin and high FG would result in an overly malty sweet taste, but not at all. The late hops and overall bitterness were not upfront and not very strong, also surprising to me. The aroma is slightly hoppy, but again, not so strong. I would say it is like a Sam Adams boston lager, but at this point, perhaps a 'light' version. Gotta say I am surprised at the lack of some of the flavors I expected (almost 'feared) would overpower the taste.
I can see this being an easy drinking brew when I am out working around the house on a sunny weekend, not the bigger beer I kinda expected. We will see what another week or two in the bottle does for it.

I was worried at the 2 week point, it seemed like a very mild brew with an alcohol bite to it. But, alas, at week 3-1/2, I was amazed at the hoppy flavor and smooth maltiness, neither being overpowering. Nice foam head, lingering lacing on the glass. A bit darker that I expected, like an Amber copper penny color. I guess I would call it a session Pale Ale, the alcohol bite is gone, the hops aroma and flavor has come through. I hope it is not variation bottle-to-bottle, but I will know for sure over the 4th of July weekend. Won't be using these for boiling the brats!

Back