24 hours and still waiting for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncoutroulis

Reaction score
This is my third batch and it seems to be a pattern that fermentation doesn't start when it's "supposed" to.

Using a liquid White Labs Belgian yeast. Brewing a Belgian Dubbel brew. Pitched it around 70 degrees in 5 gallon carboy. Temp in room is between 66-70 but difficult I say since thermometer isn't very accurate.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Just pitched from the vial. Bad move? If so, what should I have done? That's what the instructions said to do

Thanks

Were the other 2 brews good?
When do you think it should start fermenting? Up to 36 hours is not unheard of.
Get 2 accurate thermometers, they really help. Everything we do from mash to keg/bottle is temperature dependent.

The cell counts on a single vial of liquid yeast without a starter normally isn't enough on its own to start noticeable fermentation in that time frame. Depending on the gravity, the cells that are there will likely be under stress at first, and ultimately have a hard time getting your beer to your target final gravity. On the upside, any esters, phenols, etc., put out on account of the stressed yeast won't be as big of a deal in a belgian dubbel.

Agree with the underpitch. A Belgian dubbel definitely needs a starter.

The OP also mentions a Belgain yaest, but not which one. If it was WLP500 it could take even a longer time to get started.

Thanks

So how should I have started this yeast?

The other 2 brews took about 72 hours to start. Both were smack packs without starters.

My house is old and difficult to keep a consistent temperature. I've moved the carboy to an area I think will be slightly warmer in hopes that may help.

Thanks

Just pitched from the vial. Bad move? If so, what should I have done? That's what the instructions said to do

Thanks

This is what we term as 'underpitching' in the sense that it is a method that will simply produce a different profile for the beer. Most notably much more esters and much less phenols, and to a smaller extent less sugars and maltiness.

It will take a few days for the attenuation phase to begin as during this period the yeast are budding into lots of healthy daughter cells in preparation for the attenuation.

All in all a 'controlled pitch' using an online calculator (ex. brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php) is highly recommended, using other variables such as temperature (which increases esters and decreases phenols) to tailor the beer.

Thanks. Curious how this under pitching could effect the taste. First two brews were a bit bitter and not in the good IPA kind of way.

Update

Yesterday the yeast kicked in and now it's full on! So much so that I had to change to a blowoff tube!! Hope this is normal fermentation activity, cause it's going crazy!

Thanks. Curious how this under pitching could effect the taste. First two brews were a bit bitter and not in the good IPA kind of way.

If you ever feel your fermenting beer taste too bitter then thing one you can do is add chloride and sodium using sea salt as this will accentuate the sweetness of the beer along with the body and maltiness.

Of course this will depend on your water chemistry as it is usually advocated that the content for each should stay below 100 ppm (or 90 ppm as a safer bet).

You can find a calculator for additions on Brewers Friend as you will probably find it would need less than a gram for the desired result (and you can always do it in segments).

Back