230v Chugger Pump Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randomgnarkill

Reaction score
I am fairly new to all grain brewing and just got a 230v chugger pump.
My questions are
1.It came with just the wires and no plug. how do I wire it?
2.Is 230v better than 115v? I am in the US.
3.How do I build a tool box pump etc?
4.Should I get a 115v instead?
Thanks for the help.

Seems like you bought the version made for the European market (and here in Australia too we use 240 volts as standard domestic electricity supply).

They come with no plug because different countries use different types of plugs and its up to the user to fit their own.

You could wire a range or dryer cord to it. It should say on the pump how to connect it.
You'll need access to a 240 outlet. Do you have one by your brew set up.

There really isn't a better voltage, but rather what you have easy access to. One reason someone might want a 230v pump, even in the US, is that you can get away with running 3-wire to your electric brewing control panel. Most are stuck running 4 wire to power 115v pumps since it requires a neutral. If that's not the reason for getting the 230v, there's not much reason to go that way over the 115v.

The pumps don't use much power so you may find 120V easier to "plug and play". That said, I love having and using 240V. If you're at all worried about wiring the 240, I'd get the 120V.

Thanks Guys. I wasn't really sure, know I think I'm sending it back for a 115v. I use gravity to transfer beer around. And wanted to make it easier.

Back