23 Tip Jet burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vortex

Reaction score
I am doing a Single Tier build and after doing the leg work on burners decided to use 2 - 23 Tip Jet burner. The main driver was price and yes I am cheap. My stand is made of a bed frame I already had and one I got off craigslist for $5.

I wanted to give some information that I didn't find on homebrewtalk.

Some of you were having problems keeping your burners lit. I can attribute this to one of two causes.

Natural Gas supply volume issues. I have run 3/4" Black Iron supply line from my 1" meter stub all the way to and on the stand only reducing down to 1/2" just before my control valves. The control valves are 1/2" Full Flow Valves rated for Air, Gas, Oil and Water. I think the full flow valves are important mainly because the typical gas shutoffs are restricted down to less than 3/8" in the ball and the full flow bodies have a nice large opening for gas flow. Don't forget the emergency shutoff on the 3/4" where it comes out of the wall and again I used a full flow. Don't use the Apollo water valves at Home Depot they are rated for water only. I got my full flow valves at True Value. Don't expect to get a great deal of control with these valves as they are 1/4 turn valves and once you hit about 60% they are, for all intents and purposes, at full open. That is just the nature of ball valves.
IMAG0151.jpg

Improper jet configuration. Most of us don't want or need all 23 jets firing up and we only need 10 or so with no increased heat transfer above that number so several people suggested plugging up some of the jets. Why not just by the 10 jet burner in the first place? Again I'm cheap. The 10 jet burner is about double the price of the 23 and I can get cap screws for way less than the price difference on the two burners. The cap screws were M8 x 5mm at 1.0 pitch. Just take one of the tips down to the hardware store and use their thread ID board. Then dab on some yellow thread seal and plug the ports. Be very careful when threading into the ring, this is a casting and is easy to strip with a steal screw. When you look at the burner from the top you notice that all the jets are angled to point at each other, well I quickly figured out that meant that the jets are meant to run in complimentary pairs. So, if you want them to stay lit you have to remove them in pairs. I took out all of outside ring of jets leaving those that point toward the middle in the outside ring.
IMAG0142.jpg

I ended up with an 11 tip jet burner that heats 5 gallons of water in a keg from ground water temp (50 F for me) to a sparge temp of 170 F in 22 min. Although when brewing I will probably not run it that hot as I cherried up the lower chine on the keg while running this test. And may yet move my burners a bit further from the bottom of the keg.
IMAG0140.jpg

Hope this helps those playing with burner ideas.

I currently have 4" from the top of one of the center jets to the top plane of the frame, giving about 5" to the bottom of the kegs. Not 100% sure on the measurement to the bottom of the keg as mine are at the welder's. Once I get the kegs back I will do some more testing and see if I can figure out the right distance so the lower chine on the keg doesn't turn cherry red when I give it the spurs to heat things up quickly.

On a side note I seem to have a good deal of flame control as long as I move the valves a little at a time and the low flame is pretty low. So far with the limited testing I have done I am pretty happy with it and have seen no soot with the natural gas.

Another reason to plug up some of the jets is that these things use a lot of gas and you can suck your meter dry and have other appliances with pilot lights go out giving way to a gas leak when the pressure from the meter comes back up. Many residential gas meters in my area are rated to 300,000 btu per hour and those burners are around a 100,000 btu per hour each. So, make sure anyone in the house knows not to use the stove, take a shower, dry clothes and run the furnace at the same time that you are brewing. One or two other appliances should be OK, but not all of them at the same time.

Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get your burners?
At BayouClassicDepot.com there's about $10 difference, the the 10 jet being the less expensive.
We have used the 10 jet on several stands including my own. I really like them.

I got these at CPAPC http://www.cpapc.com/23-Tip-Round-Nozzle-Jet-Burner-natural-gas-P469C0.aspx I can't remember if BayouClassicDepot was out of stock or if I didn't find those the other place I saw the 10 burner unit was at TopFoodService and they wanted almost $50. That is a great price on the 10 burner. I must admit that these are a back up heat source for something bigger, that is in development. ;)

Where did you find your m8 x 5mm bolts? It seems Ace hardware is expensive on metric bolts.

great info.
i know this is an old thread, but i hope someone can chime in.

i'm thinking of tapping the gas from my water heater supply line with a 50ft- 1/4" hose to a 10 tip burner. would the length of the house and the size (diameter) and my supply be sufficient to run a 10 tip?

thanks in advance.

Back