22oz Bombers, when to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skitter

Reaction score
I got crazy about bombers for a couple batches but I noticed I didn't have a glass that could utilize them well. My 22oz glass could not take the full bottle and the residual was particulate laden.

I also tried using a 16oz glass and just pouring half at a time but the 2nd half also had a few bits of yeast even if I let it sit for 30-60 minutes.

At this point I've gone back to using 12oz bottles for simplicities sake...

When do you guys use bombers? Is there a benefit other than less caps?

Less bottling, not less caps. I always used 22oz bombers when I bottled. I didn't have any sediment issues pouring from it a few times and leaving the bottom 1/2 inch.

When you first open your bomber, pour all of it into a 2 quart picture, leaving the trub behind. Then pour into glasses from there. Like you would do from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Using them saves some caps and bottling time but is sort of a P.I.T.A. in my opinion. I bottle only session beers in them anymore.

How about a compromise? I love using 16 or 16.9 oz bottles, swing tops or German Weiss/Lager (think Ayinger). You get a big enough pour and can still leave the yeast behind.

The European 16.9's have very easy to remove labels, and grolsh bottles only have the label on the top that is easy to remove.

The only thing you need to do is drink lotsa beer. :drunk::tank::rockin::D

I got crazy about bombers for a couple batches but I noticed I didn't have a glass that could utilize them well. My 22oz glass could not take the full bottle and the residual was particulate laden.

I also tried using a 16oz glass and just pouring half at a time but the 2nd half also had a few bits of yeast even if I let it sit for 30-60 minutes.

At this point I've gone back to using 12oz bottles for simplicities sake...

When do you guys use bombers? Is there a benefit other than less caps?

Is this a serious question? Ever buy bombers at the liquor store? Same principle when it comes to your beer. Sometimes there is stuff at the bottom of the bottle and sometimes not. Maybe your bottling process needs to change if you are getting too much sediment. Yes, at time s I get too much sediment in my bottles too, but down the drain it goes.no biggie.

I bottle on 22oz almost exclusively, but I bottle off a keg so I don't have sediment issues. Also usually just enough to bring to a friends house, homebrew club meeting or to set aside a portion of a batch for long term aging.

Since I drink mostly homebrew these days, when I do get a commercial beer it is usually a 22oz bottle of something as generally the more exciting selections are in bombers, so I have a steady supply of empty bottles that way.

My solution to this (legitimate) problem is to pour into two glasses immediately. With two 16oz classes, after accounting for foam, I usually fill one about 90% full and one about 60%. Pour one glass as normal, then, without tipping the bottle back to vertical, swap glasses with free hand and continue pouring. One glass has sit out for a while, but with ales coming out of the refrigerator, this is usually a good thing.

I like the 32oz bottles of Corona Familiar you can buy at the liquor store. Usually less than $3 each, and one is good for 2 frost mugs and a partial top off for whoever finishes first.

The big bottles in general i find are nice for High grav brews that I want to age for longer, since im more likely to open when i have help to drink them, thus causing me to open them last

I don't have an issue with store bought bombers, just homebrew. If I can find 16s I may try them out, but all my bottles have been free.

Back