2124 vs 2278 for a Pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
Trying to decide between the two for a Bohemian style Pilsner but can't find much info to compare. One is "Czech" style, the other "Bohemian". If that isn't confusing....

Has anyone tried both of these and can offer some input?

I am not sure of the exact sources of these two strains, but I think the 2278 is one of the several yeasts that are blended to ferment Pilsner Urquell. Maybe the 2124 is as well ( Bohemian just means 'Czech', as far as I know, I doubt it's a whole lot different from 2278 ). I did mix these two strains to make my first Czech Pils, and I was extremely pleased with the results.

Not sure why Wyeast calls the 2124 Bohemian, it's actually the same as WLP 830 and W34/70 which is the most popular lager yeast in the world. I've read that over 90% of the lager breweries use this strain and I'm sure many Czech brewers use it as well. It's pretty much my go to yeast and has never let me down.

Back