2020 saaz hop import delay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davemci

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the import of saaz gops from the Czech republic is delayed or canceled? Or is it still early to find them in the us. I have missed out in the past being able to get a pound, I dont want to miss it again

Last year I emailed Yakima Valley and Hops Direct about it, and I think the 2019 crop didn't come in until well into 2020.

2020 hops from Europe won’t hit the US for retail until February at the earliest... probably even later.

Is it always that late? Or is the delay from the rona?

Is it always that late? Or is the delay from the rona?

Always...was looking for 2019 German hops on YVH site in December, early January this year and none really hit their site until late January and even then, it was only a few varieties , the rest did not hit until late February or early March. Btw, Yakima Valley still has plenty of 2019 Saaz. Just looked it up, harvest there was in late August, definitely takes 4-5 months at least before hitting US market.

Last edited:
I don't think it's even available to homebrewers in the Czech Republic yet. Most of the grown hops are contracted by the large breweries, what little is left over has to trickle down the hierarchy until it reaches the bottom. Add to that the fact that you're halfway across the world and I think you might be a bit overeager, to say the least... ;)

Totally anecdotal but I went into a homebrew shop while traveling in Germany last year just for fun, this was a pretty nice shop but they were selling 2016 and 2017 hop lots, even for Hull varietals. I think we're a bit spoiled in the states...

Latest posts

Back