2018 Brewing Calendar (PDF available)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
Does anyone else typically plan out in advance what time of year you want to brew certain styles of beer for the next year? Even though I keep 15+ varieties of hops, 30+varieties of grain and 2-3 strains of yeast on hand at all times, I find this is almost necessary to make sure I am prepared to have a beer ready by a certain time or event during the year.

Here's an example of the spreadsheet calendar I created showing what beers I expect or want to brew and during what time of the year. This helps me plan out fermentation chamber and vessel usage as well as making sure I have yeast and other ingredients ready.

Yes, I may be an organization freak but it works for me! Share your methods and process when it comes to planning beers for occasions. I can share the excel for anyone interested.

Cheers!

IMG_3187.PNG

Looking at the schedule, I wonder if you drink wine between October and March?
However, to answer your question I certainly do not plan an entire year ahead. Retrospectively, I might have brewed the same styles around the same time as you scheduled, but I don't know how much and when my beer is going to be consumed. I always brew more than I drink myself and if there are sometimes fewer, sometimes more people coming by, and I have to adjust to maintain a steady flow. And if I have to brew more, I just ask what they would like.

Last year was the first year I planned anything out. I planned two brews a month and accounted for conditioning time. It lasted for a few months. I ran out of ingredients, didn't like what was next, ran out of time, or kit sales.

I'll probably do it again for 2018. My bulk stock is a lot better. Still working on a yeast bank, but have enough on hand. Will probably just highlight the seasonal ones.

I decide the day I go to the brew store usually. Never brew the same hing twice. I wing it, keep it simple, etc

I usually have styles in mind during certain times of the year, but unless I want something ready for a certain occasion, usually make it when I need to.

I plan my brewing year in advance. I look through past issues of BYO And Craft Beer & Brewing magazine as well as the recipe books I have and HBT too. All that is distilled down into 24 beers I want to brew. I brew once a month but do two batches.

Next year I’ve decided to do a “staple” beer meaning nothing too crazy and then something much more experimental. It’s kinda fun. Of course I leave room for changes, new ideas, etc. but I like having a direction to go and at least a general idea of what my kegs will have in them.

And with my personality I actually like the planning process. Probably explains why I used one of the days I was on vacation in Florida to make my 2018 Brewing Calendar. ;)

I don't plan that far ahead usually, I know my plans wouldn't mean much anyway. I think of a beer I want to brew, come up with a basic recipe (or use one from friends, books, forums) get the ingredients and brew. I would like to get a little more organized so I have the six months of lagering required for a really big double bock and I'd love to try an Eisback. That is where the planning may come in handy. :mug:

Honestly I don't like the idea of planning too much. Brewing for me is definitely a fun hobby that I do when I have time and money (which albeit ended up being about once or twice a month). But I like to have styles or idea in mind for certain times of year weather it be because that when it will taste good or thats when I can ferment at the right temperature. Because of that though. I have ended up putting my Rye Pilsner so far behind, I probably wont be able to brew it til like February and I've got an idea for a winter hefe that's been waiting a while too. Oh well, that's what makes it fun to me. My ingredients speak to me and tell me what they want to be and I have fun flying by the seat of my pants.

Looks like a great calendar that could be adapted for fermentation schedules though. Much more classy than me using my stainless steel fridge as a giant whiteboard

I plan beers I'm making for holidays and birthdays but that's it. Beyond that I'm always looking at recipes and kits for things I might want to make.

I plan in advance, weeks and even months, just to be on schedule.

I usually work the recipes a while and then buy what I need and brew. Next year I am planning on brewing somewhere between 200 and 225 gallons of beer.

...My ingredients speak to me and tell me what they want to be and I have fun flying by the seat of my pants.
Overstock of ingredients is one of the reasons why I often start substituting some for other and by the 3rd brew I lends itself for something completely different than what I originally thought I'm going to make. Keeps the entire thing interesting

Back