2017 Eclipse Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimzella

Reaction score
I searched but didn't see a thread about brewing this day. I'm just curious who will be off of work, brewing a batch of homebrew, and enjoying the phenomenon. I had some Chinooks finish up a little early on the bines. Just a simple 8% IPA will do for me. Any one else like the idea of an Eclipsed Brew Day? Sounds like fun to me!!

Thank you for the replies.
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.077 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 53.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 85.0 %
10.4 oz Caramel Malt - 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.2 %
10.4 oz Munich Malt, Germany (Avangard) (9.5 SRM Grain 3 4.2 %
1 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4 6.5 %
16.00 g Warrior [16.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 22.5 IBUs
28.35 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 14.6 IBUs
28.35 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 10.7 IBUs
28.35 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 5.9 IBUs
28.35 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Gonna be working...our main office is in Portland OR and they are going to have limited availability (trucking company) because of all the traffic in and around town. Everyone around here and their hipster brother is heading to Oregon to see the show.

Can't brew tomorrow as I will be working, but I have thought about it... Won't have a starter ready nor any grains ground anyway.

Sucks...

I was seriosly thinking of brewing, but I needed the yeast from the Pale Ale that is still happily bubbling away turning itself into beer. Maybe Wednesday.

10 hour work day...zero chances of brewing. But I'm excited to get a partial coverage view.

Decided my pyment experiment would be one 1-gallon winexpert merlot kit + 6lbs honey, topped off with water to 3 gallons. Made a starter for my White Labs Sweet Mead yeast in the final minutes of the eclipse, and pitched before midnight.

Color looks like a regular red wine. Yeasts were very active the following afternoon.

Made a Wit with some 10 month old 410 yeast I grew up from 2 loop picks off the white cream of the middle layer, It's blasting away as I write this.

I stayed home and brewed Ryerish Red. Sipped a tank 7 clone (close to original). Overall great day.

Back