2016 Hop Growing Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are just burrs. Many times during their first year they don't have enough energy to put into full blown the sidearms but they're conscientious enough to at least make a few cones. Hops rock!

Pics taken 5/30
I had to put chicken wire around most of my hops as the rabbits liked them
Cascade and Centennial are more like a bush right now. Cascade is the slowest right now. Centennial is about to make its 1st turn. Columbia is doing ok. Chinook is doing the best out of the 4. This one I cut everything back until may 1. Pic order is Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and Columbia

Cascade_5_30.jpg

Centennial_5_30.jpg

Chinook_5_30.jpg

Columbia_5_30.jpg

Wow, some of yours are looking great already!
I bought three rhizomes this year; Fuggles, Styrian Goldings and Cascade. Unfortunately the fuggles one didn't take, but I've left it in the pot just in case it decides to miraculously take to the soil next year!
The modest looking one on the left of the raised bed is the Styrian Goldings, the other two pictures are of the Cascade - I'm amazed at how well that has been growing in its first year!
So some of your have already got some small cones growing? From everything I've read I wasn't expecting to see any until August?

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Happy to find this cool place.

Anyway, I wanted to share with you my hops (2nd year), and see if anyone had thoughts as to why my Zeus bines have stopped growing and have shifted to cone production, while the Cascade is going bonkers with growth, and Chinook is doing decent. These are in Pennsylvania. Ill attach pics.

They show my 3 plants, Cascade at the top, Zeus in the middle, and Chinook on the bottom. You can see that the Zeus no longer has its three leaders. they just became little cones. Is this maybe becaues it just doesnt want to grow sideways?

allthree2.jpg

cascade2.jpg

zeus1.jpg

Finished 3/4 of my trellises and dug up two rhizomes (Pacific & cascade) that weren't doing too well Pacific showed ZERO acid ivory and Cascade had one bine. Well I think they were too deep (8") AND soaking in wet soil which probably killed them. I'm sad so I'm ignoring them all for a week or two. It's heating up here and I'll focus on my other two cascades. I couldn't even identify the Pacific Gem rhizome. I may bite the bullet and order Sorachi Ace plants from Great Lake Hops.

My first year hops are coming along nicely along with the rest of the garden. Something was chewing on my plants, so I applied a dose of Sevin Powder and it has seemed to quell the destruction.

A few of the bines lost their tops, but the side bines are taking over and making up lost time it seems like.

The question is: I've got plenty of vertical room. Should I reduce some of the bines on the bigger plants to promote upward growth, or just let em go wild to encourage root growth? More height equals more light in my situation, but more leaves would seem to have an advantage too... what to do, what to do.

13310434_10106384400731688_2081441671514534226_n.jpg

As a side note, my tomatoes are going crazy. They are next away from the house after the hops. Figured tall plants next to the house to encourage the best use of light in the available gardening area.

Just checked on my plants and found some "suspect" looking leaves on my Centennial. They were close to the ground so.........????? Anyway, I cut them off and and cleaned up the bottom 12" of the bines and clipped all new growth. I have 6 bines trained on it so I should be ok even though it is a first year plant.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1464743692.454212.jpg
Is this some mold or mildew of some sort starting to take hold?

I got a late start but hopefully they'll start to take off. I have 4-Cascade, 2-Centennial and 2-Mt. Hood. The tallest being a Cascade at 18-ish inches. I also have Morning Glory in between for color.

IMG_20160531_194243.jpg

My first year hops are coming along nicely along with the rest of the garden. Something was chewing on my plants, so I applied a dose of Sevin Powder and it has seemed to quell the destruction.

A few of the bines lost their tops, but the side bines are taking over and making up lost time it seems like.

The question is: I've got plenty of vertical room. Should I reduce some of the bines on the bigger plants to promote upward growth, or just let em go wild to encourage root growth? More height equals more light in my situation, but more leaves would seem to have an advantage too... what to do, what to do.

13310434_10106384400731688_2081441671514534226_n.jpg

As a side note, my tomatoes are going crazy. They are next away from the house after the hops. Figured tall plants next to the house to encourage the best use of light in the available gardening area.

I'd just let them grow. On a side note is there a reason you have a gap between the raised beds? Just seams like a waste of growing space plus a pain to mow and trim

The above reply covers part of it. The other part is ladder access to clean gutters and unclip the hop twine from the eve of the roof.

I've employed the neighbor kid to mow the lawn, but the ultimate goal is to mulch in the area around the garden anyways.

You need spaces around raised beds; otherwise it defeats the purpose of having a raised bed rather than the old style 'grow area'.

You need spaces around raised beds; otherwise it defeats the purpose of having a raised bed rather than the old style 'grow area'.

Unless you want to grow multiple varieties in a small area and don't want the roots to reach across and mix with different hops.

Yes mostly for wedding and maintenance of the hops and gutters above as well as install lines next year too.

Well, the root thing is just another reason to use the raised beds with spaces between them like I was saying. Ease of weeding, non-root mixing, mobility, etc, are all reasons why raised beds > the old style of growing in just a field/flat area.

Got my shady ripped 2x4 trellis built a couple weeks ago. Surprised it didn't warp to much but seems to be working. I think it is about 7.5 feet tall with rope zig zagged so that I can get some extra growth without building a 12-15' trellis in the backyard. I don't think my neighbors would appreciate it. Haha. But here are some pictures of the growth I have had. The northern brewer seems to be doing the best. One of the neighbor kids decided to hop the fence and land directly on my sterling, It didn't look like he damaged much but I kind of had to redig it up and replant it but seems to still be getting growth. These are all first year rhizomes.

Trellis
20160601_171710_zpsitoysepu.jpg

Zeus
20160601_171700_zpskteypq9c.jpg

Sterling
20160601_171634_zpsrgpfnesj.jpg

Northern Brewer
20160601_171629_zpsavnxn8ny.jpg

Centennial
20160601_171641_zps1igsmqvv.jpg

Chinook
20160601_171649_zpse5orzgfo.jpg

Cascade and lettuce photobomb
20160601_171654_zpsmhu79djh.jpg

Have my rows mostly set now. Applied some sulfur today. Hoping to bring the ph closer to 6.0-6.8 for next year. Probably will apply some worm castings tomorrow. One of these days I may have to get the drip system ready.

Update of the hop yard so far this year. Row on the right are 1-4year old crowns.
Middle row is second year seedlings, and first year cross-breeds. Row on the left is first year wild collected seedlings and first year cross-breeds.
On left in the brown pot is my one for sure second year male.

IMG_20160604_140429810.jpg

Update of the hop yard so far this year. Row on the right are 1-4year old crowns.
Middle row is second year seedlings, and first year cross-breeds. Row on the left is first year wild collected seedlings and first year cross-breeds.
On left in the brown pot is my one for sure second year male.

What do you mean by cross-breeds? Are you actively taking (just for example) Centennial and Cascade hop and cross-breeding to make a new hop variant/type?

What do you mean by cross-breeds? Are you actively taking (just for example) Centennial and Cascade hop and cross-breeding to make a new hop variant/type?

Yes, actively cross breeding. The cross which so far as resulted in the most surviving seedlings is an open pollinated cascade male crossed with brewer's gold.

Hi, first time grower. I planted 2 sterling and 1 chinook Rhizome. The Sterling have died, but I am seeing one new bud,,while the chinook are off and climbing, 2 sprouts off the first year Rhizome. My problem is that the lower leaves are turning brown and dying, I'd like to get ahead of this, so any suggestions would help. I have a drip system that imparts roughly a quarter gallon every morning per pot, and the soil is 1/3 manure, 2/3 top soil, and the pots have minimal drainage. From observation, the soil retains moisture throughout the day. Any advice would help.

First time growing. Missed out on ordering rhizomes, but my wife found some Cascade plants at a local greenhouse. (Happy Father's Day!)

Knowing how well hops do in Northern Michigan, I'm going to test my luck with these, and hopefully grow a few more varieties next year.

Cascade Hops.jpg

Have my drip system installed. Finally dry and hot enough to use it. Ran it for an hour today. I'll have to see how my moisture meter reads and go from there.

Just under 2 weeks later and all but centennial have made it well over the level of the fence. Some of the tallest bines are about 10 ft now. From left to right you are looking at Chinook, Centennial, Dr. Rudi, and Crystal.

View attachment 1465263995011.jpg

Some lower sections of my leaves/shoots have turned yellow - I guess I didn't water them enough when I was under the weather.

They are still growing nicely though, so I'm hoping all is well and they'll get their bright green color back with some watering.

saw my hops again this weekend, last I saw them was two weeks ago. they went from 6 inches high, to 5 feet tall. fortunately they found the trellis to climb on. They also grew 5 inches in 2 days. I'm pretty happy since they're up at the 45th parallel, and winter stayed late this year. I also haven't been watering them, but they're within 20 feet of a lake, and I suspect they're reaching for ground water.

the front hops are doing great, they are much higher than the first year already and growing well.

Sadly the one on the side of the house didn't come back after winter...always a risk this far north i guess.

WP_20160607_18_48_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20160607_18_47_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20160607_18_47_56_Pro.jpg

Nice growth! Kharnynb - Does one of your hop plants have a "whorled" leaf arrangement as opposed to "opposite"?

budlf2.gif

I have a golden hop plant currently showing whorled arrangement on the main stalk. Curious how common it is and whether it has any impact on growth or productivity.

Nice growth! Kharnynb - Does one of your hop plants have a "whorled" leaf arrangement as opposed to "opposite"?

budlf2.gif

I have a golden hop plant currently showing whorled arrangement on the main stalk. Curious how common it is and whether it has any impact on growth or productivity.

Hops have an opposite leaf arrangement.

Back