2016 Hop Growing Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Cascade grew about a foot over the weekend, and is now officially taller than me. At the rate it's going, it will soon outgrow my vertical strings, so I'm going to want to start stringing some lines horizontally in the next week. Fun to watch, for sure.

Nice looking cones. My Cascade has some small cones on it so far.

IMG_1227.jpg

Finally getting some sunny days between the cold and rainy ones here in CT spurring growth up to my knees so far. Year one rhizomes.

File_000.jpg

File_002.jpg

I have two 4th year plants that were basically neglected last year. I have been adding blood meal and a molasses based organic fertilizer every other week for the past three weeks. One hop plant is doing great, and will probably be ready to train in about a week. The other is barely growing! Do you have any tips to catch it up?

View attachment 354504
View attachment 354505

Some calcium could help... Clean an dry egg shells worked into the soil a bit would suffice.

This is my first year with hops and as usual I decide to go all out first thing out of the gate. First pick is my mini nursery of the hop first years I got last week and the second is their permanent homes I built with a friend this weekend. Just had a big hail storm here in CO so prob good they weren't already super long up the twine (still need to install)

I need to get out in the yard but last week was too windy to apply fertilizer and this week is too wet to move soil. My plan is to hill the rows.

I was able to get some bone meal around the plants the other day. Need to apply some blood meal.

I never believed when people say you could "pretty much watch the hops grow" but sure as could be, last night I'm standing outside and I see the sucker moving. In about 60 mins I was outside, it grew about 2 inches.

Truly amazing. I think I'm going to be sad when it's over :(

I joined this forum as a farmer that is looking at commercially growing hops in Ohio. Doing my due diligence I slapped 6 plants in the ground last June just to figure out what I didn't know and go from there. I joined here originally to look at doing some home brew just to better understand the product that I am looking at growing. I'm quite excited to see an active hop growing community on here with lots of reading for me go through to help me learn more about what I don't know about growing hops.

Just starting out and trying to determine if its right for me - I went as budget as a could. I put in some 4x4s into the ground with about 10 feet sticking out of the soil (not really in deep enough, or tall enough, but it was quick and cheap for my test). I have 6 plants, each a different variety. Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Newport, Willamette, and Zeus.

As of Sunday the bines on the Newport were nearly 9' tall and over 10' now. Other varieties are lagging behind with Centennial being the least excited about reaching the sky so far. I look forward to seeing how they do for me and if this adventure warrants a proper trellis system expanded over a couple of acres to get me started, or if this just turns out to be a good excuse to make and drink good beer.

SpDClMSHU4ZqWKuqPFwqmyWnIDnC0zHzvBJOcFkULG9b5UeaYPqtg_mY5iLZFQUUmP4E8zagDgH9qcupuHwCDII8QrdEfUBK_iVvX2OyrrDzJ6ve-_Gi5VnAwdrITy0s5MbBibi_K3sw9Fw9w02PApf7WjFnowlwd-miWaWlhFWU-pP996PZrcWj6gzmG1KWzeYlwxR46nR5mqW4bb8LKf0krjgiwSPkxRIxcrTXlrcC6_5PQ1xQgzUpo-plQu5p6o4f-0FeITLt6lw8kYxmMvxUxLAY8Q8mF_NP9VuLk78mjYTYDsqFGTENkTnL8rvsp5tgU2-7Dd0w4-j1EM7L5fF-tyHNaY18zJyVtPuhPGupEsLjnmVSCh7BEOEdIByN9vllMjVH_2opGjZMRbrwKq8zPDkPrMboO-NKqx-_dHlegRaloE3FOHp1jFeNwFtcN9wbXjH7fOzc1NSPxMuGh-H9lkIXcJLzykq_rMVs1NzZQ7Uz8HS9QUJjOAcewv3ORa_dk0kkSu5M-y72Wh6U-Xa4wYv03ePOCITT6ONA7STSIgLB6LcokoMgrFc5mCkiXylwI06OiqQIrjbbnY6-_orjwqguXjk=w1613-h907-no

Nice looking cones. My Cascade has some small cones on it so far.

How do you have those PVC pipes attached to the deck? Looking to do something similar. Just moved and transplanted a 5th year cascade and Chinook and 4th year Crystal and Mt hood

How do you have those PVC pipes attached to the deck? Looking to do something similar. Just moved and transplanted a 5th year cascade and Chinook and 4th year Crystal and Mt hood

Jake,
I used wood furring strips. I simply took some zip ties and secured them to the vertical railing supports. That way they can easily be removed in the fall and winter and put back next spring.

First year growing hops, planted fuggle and nugget. Planted rhizomes around May 8th got a few inches of growth so far... Growing in my mom's flower bed, using 5gallon buckets with bottoms cut out to help prevent it from spreading too much. Placed eye screws into overhang to eventually tie ropes too..

image.jpg

Jake,
I used wood furring strips. I simply took some zip ties and secured them to the vertical railing supports. That way they can easily be removed in the fall and winter and put back next spring.

Thanks. I'll post some picks when they start to take off. Transplanted them about 3 weeks later than I want to. Rain and life got in the way

Jake,

Zip ties here too. I am starting to wonder if they are MORE important than duct tape?!?!

The first pic is my cascade (planted 4.16), on 5.20. The second pic is the same cascade on 5.25.

The third pic is my Centennial potted (5.19). Does it look like it will survive? I'm worried about it.

The last pic is my potted Chinook (5.19). Are these pots big enough?

20160520_173444[1].jpg

20160525_181638[1].jpg

20160520_173837[1].jpg

20160520_173826[1].jpg

I received my rhizomes from Farmhouse back in the middle of April. I started them in buckets because I had to have knee surgery. Well I am finally back so I can work some so I completed my Trellis and transferred the hops. I have 2 Mt. Hood and 2 Williamette. They are all doing well and I am looking forward to watching them grow. The trellis's are in my back yard so they hops can get 7 or8 hours of full sunshine. The 4X4 's are 16 feet long and I spaced them 23 feet from the back deck, so the hops have plenty of room to grow. I used parachute cord for the lines.
Will post more after they get going good.

WIN_20160525_151800.jpg

WIN_20160525_152041.jpg

WIN_20160525_152106.jpg

Ripcord,
I would keep it properly watered and place it in filtered sunlight. You don't want to stress it too much. You still have what looks like one good bine so with some TLC it should survive.
Good Luck!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1464297234.947157.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1464297245.647685.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1464297254.731616.jpg

First picture is my second year cascade. The second picture shows its leaves getting eaten by something. Sprayed it yesterday and today. The third is my second year Willamette. I didn't cut them back when they started coming up because I was away during the week for school. I've graduated now, so I can tend to them everyday. I don't really know the best path to take with them but they seem pretty happy. I'm hoping I can plant them in the ground next year and build them a nice high trellis to climb.

Brewshki

Attached are pics of some shoots from my Vojvodina hops. The bottoms have black areas and the tops are turning light lime green and appear stunted. I culled them out and will start with new shoots. I don't remember seeing this before, but now my Horizon plants present with this as well. I fertilized with composted cow manure this year and have had good results in years past. These are 4th year plants. If anyone recognizes what is wrong here I would greatly appreciate it. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1464298228.484302.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1464298245.340253.jpg

Attached are pics of some shoots from my Vojvodina hops. The bottoms have black areas and the tops are turning light lime green and appear stunted. I culled them out and will start with new shoots. I don't remember seeing this before, but now my Horizon plants present with this as well. I fertilized with composted cow manure this year and have had good results in years past. These are 4th year plants. If anyone recognizes what is wrong here I would greatly appreciate it. View attachment 356027View attachment 356028

I'm no expert, but I've been reading and watching YouTube videos. From what I've been reading and watching, that looks like it might be downy mildew.

Definitely don't take my word for it, but it might give you a starting point to figure out what's going on with it.

Ripcord,
I would keep it properly watered and place it in filtered sunlight. You don't want to stress it too much. You still have what looks like one good bine so with some TLC it should survive.
Good Luck!

There is three points to it, one is separate and no longer attached. There is no true rhizome, but roots, and there is three just long stalks. No leaves at all.

Thats what has me worried.

I finally got my trellis finished. I am hoping to build my raised beds around my mounds this evening. Most of the wood is cut.
20160525_193337_zpsxxzs0obm.jpg

Back