2016 Dark Lord Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The key is to pace yourself. If you go in with all guns blazing, pounding 8%+ beers, you'll be done in an hour. I'm taking less beer this year, and including some lower abv selections. Last year we started by killing a bomber of Bolt Cutter while standing in line. Not good.

Thinking I'll bring a 2009-current Dark Lord vertical. Not sure yet though.

Hope you really like the taste of soy sauce...

Last year at Dark Lord a booth was selling cups of 2011 Dark Lord. Ugh. Like a giant ol' cup of Kikkoman. Couldn't get through 4 ounces of that stuff.

I'll admit to not being a Dark Lord fan. I've had 3 different versions. Too sweet for my taste. I'll probably trade all but 1 bottle I get this year.

I go for the bottle sharing and the Zombie Dust, Rabid Rabbit, and Arctic Panzer Wolf I can pickup locally.

Hope you really like the taste of soy sauce...

Last year at Dark Lord a booth was selling cups of 2011 Dark Lord. Ugh. Like a giant ol' cup of Kikkoman. Couldn't get through 4 ounces of that stuff.

That seems to vary bottle to bottle. I've had bottles of 2012 that were straight soy and others that have been tasty. Both from my own collection that have been stored identically.

That said, part of planning to bring a big vertical is to reduce the volume in my cellar. The more aged beer I've drank from my stash, the less I want to store anything beyond a year or so. Sure, some have been great with some age, but the losers seem to outnumber the winners pretty easily.

If you're really lucky I'll bring that bottle of triple bock I've had for years...

If anyone wants to meet up on friday lmk headed down that day hotel check in is at three in hammond. Pretty sure I am open after that.

In the years past I've always driven down the morning of and driven back that night (I would stop drinking 3+ hours before heading home) I'm thinking this year it might be best to stay the night somewhere down there, but of course the hotels are booked. Thinking about just bringing a tent or something for the night. Any thoughts?

I came into this thread thinking Dark Lord Day was some sort of satanist beer festival, leaving disappointed.

In the years past I've always driven down the morning of and driven back that night (I would stop drinking 3+ hours before heading home) I'm thinking this year it might be best to stay the night somewhere down there, but of course the hotels are booked. Thinking about just bringing a tent or something for the night. Any thoughts?

I'm confident that will NOT fly on the brewery grounds, industrial park or nearby park. You'd be better off getting on the bus that goes to/from downtown Chicago and spending the night there.

I'm confident that will NOT fly on the brewery grounds, industrial park or nearby park. You'd be better off getting on the bus that goes to/from downtown Chicago and spending the night there.

Yeah good luck with camping anywhere near the brewery. If you have a conversion van or something similar I could see maybe getting away with "camping" in the Walmart parking lot but iirc that's a solid 5 + minute drive from FFF..... probably not very safe to attempt to drive that far.

Then again if you are car camping you could maybe park your car at Walmart and Uber (albeit at a ridiculous up charge ) to your car that is parked at Walmart and try and lay low for the night..... still far from optimal though.

I would love to stay in Chicago one of these DLD's but I know I wouldn't be able to deal with not being able to pee for the hour trip back (hell I wouldnt be able to make it 30 minutes) after drinking what I do at DLD. I'll settle for the Hampton Inn in Munster :D

Guessing it's pretty good beer huh?

Actually...

The vanilla bean is extremely good if you can manage to get your hands on it.

The normal stuff...eh. It used to be a really great beer back when few others were making stuff like it, but now the field has gotten very crowded and many other breweries have surpassed them. In my opinion.

Hmmm I've seen plenty of tents in years past at the local businesses, I'll just go with my usual routine, thanks yall

I've seen plenty of tents that have no sides, but I don't recall seeing any tents that were designed for sleeping overnight in.

Actually...

The vanilla bean is extremely good if you can manage to get your hands on it.

The normal stuff...eh. It used to be a really great beer back when few others were making stuff like it, but now the field has gotten very crowded and many other breweries have surpassed them. In my opinion.

Yeah we have some vanilla from our Mexico trip it's very good

Got my tickets today! Also got rumors of a byob cigar lounge across the street from my hotel. Might be a good break from the chaos.

Any other beers I should pick up in Indiana?

I'm from NY, so I'd be interested in good stuff that's not widely available outside of the Indiana/Illinois area. I'm already going to hit Fat Heads in Cleveland on the way down. Might hit Hoppin' Frogs too.

I'm from NY, so I'd be interested in good stuff that's not widely available outside of the Indiana/Illinois area. I'm already going to hit Fat Heads in Cleveland on the way down. Might hit Hoppin' Frogs too.

Enjoy Fat Heads!

I do. I have family in Eastern Ohio, right on the Ohio River.

I always pick up a few 4-packs to take home when I'm in town visiting. I think they are a very underrated brewery.

Gotcha. I'm 8 minutes from Fat heads. Juju is one of the best I've ever had. Make a visit to The Brew kettle too if you get a chance. Amazing smoked wings and fresh white rajah on tap is to die for.

Shoreline Brewery in Michigan City has some good stuff; I think they are highly underrated.

Of course, Revolution from Chicago is great; their Anti Hero IPA is fantastic.

Pipeworks in Chicago does incredible things with IPAs and APAs. Not sure how far they distribute.

I'll see if I can think of anything else.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I'll be trolling some bottle shops. It would be nice to have a list. I get easily overwhelmed in those places. Then I panic and just grab something I've already had. :D

It is worth a trip to New Oberpfalz in Griffith. It is about a 10 minute drive from 3 Floyd's. Gus always has good stuff on tap. They also have a few different bombers available.

There's a store in Tinley Park, IL that I usually go to for buying local beers that you may not be able to find anywhere else but their taproom. It's 25 minutes away from 3 Floyd's.

The Open Bottle
7101 W. 183rd Street - Unit 105
Tinley Park, IL 60477

And there's a few taprooms in Tinley Park that are good. 350 Brewing is across the street from the Open Bottle. Hailstorm Brewing (founded by another homebrewtalk member) is about 5 minutes away from the Open Bottle.

I do. I have family in Eastern Ohio, right on the Ohio River.

I always pick up a few 4-packs to take home when I'm in town visiting. I think they are a very underrated brewery.

Lol at fatheads being "underrated" considering they collected 6 or 7 GABF (iirc) medals in 2015

Been two years ago best part is the bottle share. Dark Lord is to sweet and needs at least 5 years to age. Would rather spend my money on Utopia

Variant list just posted:

descriptions of our variants this year, here they are:

Legio Gemina
Dark Lord Aged in Pineau de Charentes Barrels

French Vanilla Militia
Dark Lord Aged in Armagnac Barrels with Vanilla, Cocoa Nibs, and Coffee

Trump and Pump
Dark Lord Aged in Sauternes Barrels

Dark Lord de Muerte
Dark Lord Aged in Bourbon Barrels with Guajillo Chilis

Dwarven Power Bottom
Dark Lord Aged in Muscat Barrels

Marshmallow Handjee
Dark Lord Aged in Bourbon Barrels with Vanilla Beans

Quit Hitting Yourself
Dark Lord Aged in Porto and Madeira Barrels

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord
Dark Lord Aged in Bourbon Barrels

Ronaldo
Dark Lord Aged in Madeira Barrels with Tart Michigan Cherries

Temeculan 3000
Dark Lord Aged in Pineau Charentes Barrels with Green Cardamom and Ceylon Cinnamon

2015 The Earl of Biggleswade
Dark Lord Aged in Brandy Barrels with Cocoa, Coriander, and Cardamom

2015 Akvavit
Dark Lord Aged in Akvavit Barrels

2015 Muerte
Dark Lord Aged in Bourbon Barrels with Guajillo Chilis

I'm taking a week long trip to Toronto and plan to pick up some beers from Oast House and Bellwoods to trade if anyone is interested. I've yet to try Pliny the Elder...

Back