2015 Oberon is out - Who's harvesting yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I built up my starter to 750 mL the other day. In an attempt of measure growth of yeast I had measured the amount of slurry on the bottom after the 75 mL starter and got 9mm, and after the 750 mL addition I was around 10 or 11mm. I'm not sure that it's accurate or anything, but I was just trying to figure out if there was much/any growth in the yeast.

I put it in the fridge, and I think I'm going to decant it Friday night and also add another 750 mL of wort to the yeast again to prepare it for pitching on Saturday.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it to add another 750 mL?

Something seems off, that doesn’t sound like a whole lot of yeast. Typically they say around 1 billion cells per ml of slurry. That’s a crude (and possibly low) estimate but at that rate you’re only around 10 billion cells or so. For a five gallon batch you want somewhere in the ballpark of 200 billion cells. So something seems off.

But then when I imagine 200 ml of yeast slurry (~6 oz!) I don’t think I’ve ever pitched that much into a fermenter except when repitching from a yeast cake.

If I were you I would step up again, something like 1500 to 2000 ml. Im actually *thinking of doing a third step up on mine,

i.e. 8 bottle dregs >>> 600 ml @ 1.02 >>> 2000 ml @1.04 >>> split again and add another 2000 ml @ 1.050.

*seems like a lot of DME to be using though. I may end up just pitching the Bell’s as it currently stands in one fermenter, and using US-05 or S-04 on the other. Would be good flavor comparison experiment too.

*seems like a lot of DME to be using though. I may end up just pitching the Bell’s as it currently stands in one fermenter, and using US-05 or S-04 on the other. Would be good flavor comparison experiment too.

I think you are right - I'm going to step it up a bit more.

That would be a good experiment if you split - I've read that WLP001 is a good yeast for this clone, so that could be worthwhile for comparison, to see how close WLP001 gets it compared to yeast from the bottles.

Decanted and stepped up to 1000 mL last night. Woke up to a frothy starter. Looking good!

Sure does! I just finished cleaning up from Oberon brew morning. Ended up overshooting volume, had something screwed up in beer smith and instead of using common sense I filled the kettle up to 14.25 like it said to. Instead of boiling longer I just added a bit more hops and drained 12.5 gallons of 1.052 wort.

One carboy plus extra runoff into a gallon growler got all the bells yeast (slurry from third step, 2000ml) other fermenter got us05. Hit pitching temp at 63.5! Excited for this one!

Id love to make two hearted clone next week, gallon fermenter slurry will probably end up being used for that!

Very cool. I just finished mine as well. Dramatically overshot OG and ended up with around 1.067. Added as much water as I could fit but oh well. Going to be a boozy oberon I suppose. The sample I took tasted absolutely fantastic though - probably the best unfermented sample I've ever had

Very cool. I just finished mine as well. Dramatically overshot OG and ended up with around 1.067. Added as much water as I could fit but oh well. Going to be a boozy oberon I suppose. The sample I took tasted absolutely fantastic though - probably the best unfermented sample I've ever had

Ha! Wish we could get together, if we blended our two batches we'd be pretty close to target!

Cheers, nothing wrong with a boozy Oberon!

I couldn't help myself, so I grabbed a six-pack of Oberon earlier this week. I now have a 750ml starter with six bottles worth of yeast in it. I figure I'll use the last of my Two Hearted yeast for my Oberon-inspired American wheat, and will step up the Oberon yeast to a big enough size that I can split it into three different jars.

That'll mean I spent $9.99 (plus DME cost) for a six-pack of great beer and at least three batches worth of yeast. Gotta love coming out ahead like that!

I couldn't help myself, so I grabbed a six-pack of Oberon earlier this week. I now have a 750ml starter with six bottles worth of yeast in it. I figure I'll use the last of my Two Hearted yeast for my Oberon-inspired American wheat, and will step up the Oberon yeast to a big enough size that I can split it into three different jars.

That'll mean I spent $9.99 (plus DME cost) for a six-pack of great beer and at least three batches worth of yeast. Gotta love coming out ahead like that!

Welcome to the party! Great rationalizing too!

I had to leave my fermenting Oberon at my in-laws until I get back to bottle it, but from what I saw after about 24 hrs of activity is it seems to be a steady fermenting yeast - not horribly aggressive. I'm hoping it doesn't get out of hand, because otherwise they'll have quite the mess in their basement :eek:

I had to leave my fermenting Oberon at my in-laws until I get back to bottle it, but from what I saw after about 24 hrs of activity is it seems to be a steady fermenting yeast - not horribly aggressive. I'm hoping it doesn't get out of hand, because otherwise they'll have quite the mess in their basement :eek:

Agreed. I was worried about the carboy being too full but krausen is staying at about 2 inches

The yeast from the six-pack I harvested last week is ripping through 750ml of 1.020 wort right now. This has been a far more effective fermentation than I had when I harvested Two Hearted a few months ago. Really impressive.

I hate this waiting game, waiting for the beer to be ready. This thread is quiet...too quiet.

Checked on my baby, er fermenters, this morning. Krausen seemed to be settling down a bit, I could see the surface of the liquid beer in some spots.

Cranked the temp controller up to 72 to let it fully finish out and clean up. I'll probably let it sit there for a couple days then cold crash it and keg early next week.

Agreed that it feels like I've been waiting forever, even though its only 5 days since brewing. Even worse is I'm down to about 10 of the real Oberon, been trying to keep my paws off of it so I can do side by side taste testing.

I was going to use the Ales to Lagers recipe but can't seem to find GR Hallertau hops. What are you guys using?

Scott

I was going to use the Ales to Lagers recipe but can't seem to find GR Hallertau hops. What are you guys using?

Scott

Hersbrucker. As you'll notice, the reply they got from Bells said that Hersbrucker and Saaz are the "signature varietals"

I'll be waiting for a side by side comparison (please). I've attempted to clone Oberon twice now. I cannot call it "cloned". I will be attempting again come May 2.
Now, Bells Two Hearted cloned? Yes, check the box. Side by side left people baffled.....Oberon? No - there are differences.

Hey guys, I forgot to aerate my 1.020 wort and added 2 bottles of Oberon yeast. Should I start over?

Thanks

Scott

Schach, I don't think it'll make a huge difference - do you see any yeast sediment on the bottom of the starter container?

Two bottles may be a little light, so it may not hurt to throw in yeast from a couple more bottles and give it a good shake.

You don't need to aerate the wort before you ppl the yeast in. Just swirl/shake the container here and there and you'll be fine.

I'm shocked at how active this last batch of yeast has been for me. I already have a nice little cake at the bottom of my 750ml of 1.020 wort, and it's still going. Once my flask is available, I'll pop this yeast in there,l and throw it in the stir plate to make enough yeast to fill three 500ml jars with spent wort and a decent little cake for future use.

I'll be waiting for a side by side comparison (please). I've attempted to clone Oberon twice now. I cannot call it "cloned". I will be attempting again come May 2.

Now, Bells Two Hearted cloned? Yes, check the box. Side by side left people baffled.....Oberon? No - there are differences.

I'll be sure to do a side by side! Do you mind sharing the recipes you did that didn't come out "cloned"? All data is good data.

Two hearted is my next beer!

Alright you experts on Bells yeast, looking for my next steps

I made a 200 ml 1.020 DME wort and added the bottoms of 3 oberon bottles to it. Now 48 hrs later I have some nice bubbles rising not super active but going. Looks like yeast is starting to form on the bottom edges. When should I step it up? I was thinking maybe tomorrow if things are still going well to make a 400 ml 1.030-1.040 DME wort and add the 400 ml I have in a quart jar and let that go for another 24 hrs then cold crash for 48 hrs then start my starter on the stir plate for 48 hrs. Thoughts?

Scott

I did 6 bottles of yeast in 300ml at 1.020 for 24 hours on stir plate.

Then poured 500ml at 1.030 right on top. After 24 hours into the fridge.

Decanted and 800ml at 1.040 for another 24 hours.

Decanted and pitched into 3gallons. Airlock had action 5 hours in and a nice krausen at 18 hours.

I did the dregs from 6 bottles into 1000 ml (1.025) for 3-4 days. Cold crashed, decanted. Added to 2000 ml (1.040) for 3 days. Cold crashed and decanted and then another 2500 ml (1.040).

This was for a 10 gallon batch. All was right in the world.

I havent forgot about this thread! I've wanted to keg up one of the fermenters for the past couple days but, life has gotten in the way. Anyhow, tonight I plan on taking the 3/4 gallons or so I had in a 1 gallon growler and quick carbing it in a 2 liter bottle with one of those carb cap things. I'll make a decision on dry hopping the rest based on my taste testing. So, stay tuned!

Anyone care to take a guess which is which? Lighting (from left) is throwing the colors off a little bit. They are extremely close in color. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429747773.464750.jpg

I'll say this is fairly close, not exactly there yet.

I'm not giving up on it yet though for a few reasons:

1. Mines definitely under carbed

2. The real thing has considerably more hop presence, both aroma and flavor. Hoping a dry hop charge will help.

3. Didn't measure my fg but it tastes a little on the thinner side, missing that creamy mouthfeel the bells gives. That could be due to carb level too.

You got it!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429751911.089285.jpg. Better picture. Homebrew on right again. It's just a Touch darker than bells. Actually this made me remember I have c-15l and not c-10l like my recipe calls for. If I had used 10l it would probably be perfect.

Shake carbed a little more and it's getting closer. Can't say this is a true side by side until I get some properly kegged and dry hopped. Damn tasty though!

My Oberon batch is fermenting at my in-laws about 2 hrs away from my place, so I can't keep a close eye on it. We brewed it on April 4 (so 3 weeks ago); I spoke to my father-in-law last night and he said he's still seeing bubbles in the airlock - about 2 bubbles every minute. We fermented it at about 60 degrees, but this must be a pretty slow-fermenting yeast.

Didn't help that we overshot our OG by a bit though either haha. I'm hoping our batch is ready to drink in a few more weeks.

I've done this before and plan to do it again this yeast. Though my next american wheat is going to be a gumball head clone with Vermont ale yeast. I do like Oberon a lot though.
57.gif
30.gif

My Oberon batch is fermenting at my in-laws about 2 hrs away from my place, so I can't keep a close eye on it. We brewed it on April 4 (so 3 weeks ago); I spoke to my father-in-law last night and he said he's still seeing bubbles in the airlock - about 2 bubbles every minute. We fermented it at about 60 degrees, but this must be a pretty slow-fermenting yeast.

Didn't help that we overshot our OG by a bit though either haha. I'm hoping our batch is ready to drink in a few more weeks.

That's pretty low ferment temp, not surprised if it's still churning away

I just dry hopped my Oberon-inspired American wheat with .5 oz of Saaz and .37 oz each of Cascade and Centennial. It hadn't attenuated as much as I'd expected, but the sample was quite good. I also forgot to add Whirlfloc, so it'll probably end up pretty hazy, but I don't really care about that.

As for Oberon yeast, I've had my starter in the fridge for about a week now, so I'll decant and step up again tomorrow, then split that out among four 250 ml jelly jars to use for starters for my next few beers. I don't get to brew that often, so messing around with harvesting and starters helps me bide my time between brewdays!

Back