2014: A year of German beers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've heard, John, you really shouldn't do a decoction on a Kolsch so maybe it was provdence of the beer gods or the words of your ancestors or your intuition that kept you from doing that :D

I just picked up my grains this part weekend so will be joining you in the German beers "soon."

From what I've heard, John, you really shouldn't do a decoction on a Kolsch so maybe it was provdence of the beer gods or the words of your ancestors or your intuition that kept you from doing that :D

I just picked up my grains this part weekend so will be joining you in the German beers "soon."

Originally a decoction was the plan, but I was concerned about how it would darken the color. With the temp step infusion for my second batch, the half batch, it does appear a lil bit darker. Looking forward to tasting it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

An update:
Eisbock: last measured at 10.3 % and was set aside to lager on the yeast cake. This weekend I plan to transfer it to a secondary so I can freeze concentrate it soon.
Munich Dunkel: plan to bottle it this weekend using german pilsner wort.
Kolsch: in the keg and goin fast!!!! Even my friend who jus drinks stouts loves it!
Kolsch 1/2 batch: plan to bottle it this weekend using german pilsner wort.
Alt and Maiboch: grains standing by!
My german brewing has been interrupted by studying for several things at work and brewing a half batch of smoked porter (which will be bottled this weekend as well) and a NB Caribou Slobber and NB Buffalo Sweat (Ive had the grains for these three batches sittin around too long!)

The Alt and the Maiboch should be brewed 2 weeks from now! 2 big brew days!!

So I bottled my 1/2 batch of Kölsch tonight. Only had jus over 2 gallons in my secondary 3 gallon carboy. This is the batch that I did a step infusion on the stovetop. With a FG of 1.005, it came in at 4.9%ABV and is light and crisp, with a lil bit more body and mouthfeel than the first batch which was a straight single temp infusion of 148.
My bottle priming calc called for 1.21 oz of corn sugar, so I added that to 1 cup of water. That was a gravity of 1.041. Since my german pilsner wort that I have canned is 1.040, I took a cup of that and boiled it for 10 min and added it to the bottling bucket. Hopefully I will have a nice carbonation in these 18 bottles!

Would you be interested in sharing your Hefeweizen recipe??

We were in Bamberg last fall and at Klosterbrau, we had a beer called "Hefe Braun." My wife liked it and asked me to try and brew it. This is my first attempt at it so I don't know if it will be any good or not. I'll post it if you want, but there are recipes out there that are known to be good.

We were in Bamberg last fall and at Klosterbrau, we had a beer called "Hefe Braun." My wife liked it and asked me to try and brew it. This is my first attempt at it so I don't know if it will be any good or not. I'll post it if you want, but there are recipes out there that are known to be good.

Was it good? Did she like it? How close was it to Hefe Braun?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Alright, we "kicked the keg" of Kölsch last night! Kinda hard to know its gone, but time to move on...

I'm going to keg the Munich Dunkel this eve to serve by Friday and I'm new to kegging.

What's a good pressure to set this keg at (at 38 deg) to have it properly carbonated by Friday? What's a good pressure to serve it at??

The Munich Dunkel is in the keg. Taste sample was really good!!

And the Eisbock?? In the secondary to lager a few weeks and then freeze concentrate! What a beer!! At approx 10% already, it is smooth and malty, pretty sweet, but drinkable. It sat in the primary for 4 months and has been lagering on the yeast for about 2 1/2 months. FG was 1.024. This is gonna be one interesting beer....

Well, got home night and realized I had made a mistake. My Dunkel is the 2nd beer that Ive kegged. On Sunday night, I set the keg at 40 psi, which is what I had set the Kölsch for an overnight force carb. So, after 4 days..... You guessed it. Way overcarbed! So, I'm trying a few things to calm it down. But it still tastes AMAZING!!

After having shaken my keg, depressurized and generally degassed this Munich Dunkel, at 6 psi I got the keg slightly under where I wanted it today. Hadnt had any for 5 days and tonight I had a glass, it was a lil bit flat. Brought it to 8 psi, and after 2 hours, its pretty good on the carb. Lessons learned!
My 1/2 batch of Kolsch was bottle conditioned 2 weeks when I had one last weekend and was a lil bit flat. I based my priming addition on its lager temp of 38 instead of its ferm temp of 62, so I didnt add enough wort. Again, lessons learned.
My Eisbock should be bottled soon and waiting for its Christmas release!
I now have grains for my Alt, Maibock, Pilsner , Oktober fest and helles. I have had an unexpectedledly very busy spring at work and will be brewing madly starting next week!!

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

Would you be interested in sharing your Hefeweizen recipe??

This beer has been pretty well received. We can't say how close it is to the real Klosterbrau Hefe Braun since she had one glass five months ago, but she likes it. The only thing I'd change is to raise the mash temp to 152.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hefe Braun
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.50 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.75 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 10.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 13.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6.80 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
5 lbs Wheat Malt, Dark (7.5 SRM) Grain 2 48.2 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 19.3 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 19.3 %
1 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 9.6 %
4.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.4 %
2.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 7 1.2 %
0.30 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [6.30 %] - Boil Hop 8 5.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [6.30 %] - Boil Hop 9 7.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 6.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 12.97 qt of water at 165.3 F 150.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 7.30 gal water at 168.0 F

Well, this thread is long overdo for an update.

Eisbock- triple decoction. Brewed last November, racked to secondary in February and is still lagering. It's at 10.5%, tastes amazing, and should be bottled in August. Looking forward to drinkin it in December.

Kolsch- triple decoction. First full batch was my first kegged beer. In a word "Amazing!!" The keg kicked in about 3 weeks. I might have shared some lol. The half batch (single temp infusion) was bottled, using german pilsner wort for bottle priming. Got my numbers low, so its a lil bit flat, but still drinkable.

Munich Dunkle- triple decoction. Wow! Big and malty. Kegged it. Got the pressure too high at first, but then got it settled down. Ended up bottling 12 or so with the Biermuncher beer gun. Worked great!! My LHBS owner loved this beer.

Alt- bought the yeast and grains in Feb. Its gonna be August before I can brew this. Made a starter of the smack pack this last weekend (jus to keep from losing the yeast).

Maibock-triple decoction
Pilsner-single temp infusion, racked to keg
Helles-half batch triple decoction, racked to secondary
Octoberfest- half batch decoction

All were brewed in May, at different dates, but will be doing a diacytel rest at the same time in about 2 weeks, then begin lagering, to bottle or drink out of the keg in early August. The Ofest and the Maibock will lager on the yeast cake.

Lessons learned so far?

1) triple decoctions are a lot of work!! But worth it! And nearly impossible for 2 1/2 gallon batches. But it makes a big, malty unique beer!

2) given the unexpected twists and turns at my job, the original brew plan, among many other things in my home, got seriously derailed. I have and am learning alot!! And making some damn fine tasty beers!! I have now traveled for training for my job, and have had to walk away from the brewery. When I get back, the Alt , Dopplebock, and schwarzbier are first on my list. I should be back lookin over the mash tun in early August! Cant wait!

Cool! Yeah, lots to learn here, and correct me if Im wrong on something. Jus got off the phone with Tuxedo Park Brewers. They gave me permission to put their Oktoberfest recipe on here, so hopefully I'll get that done this weekend. Since Im bottling my Oktoberfest next weekend, Im gonna do a starter and revive my washed yeast and we think a tbsp of cold crashed slurry in each bottling bucket outta be enough for carbonation. I know if adding dry, Ive used 2 g of dry yeast, rehydrated and added with the bottling sugar. It worked well in my other lagers. SO 5 I think.

Did I miss it? Couldn't find the recipe... If it's a good one!

Cheers!

Fun thread btw.

Was lucky enough to attend last years Octoberfest in Munich. Learned that I really liked the beers after my palate went through an adjustment. Just brewed my first Kolsch and I love it and it has been well received by others.

Trying to fix my freezer as it just died this weekend so I'm on the lookout for a mini freezer for lagering.

Cheers!

Here are the two different approaches I take with Dortmunders. Both have turned out good beers.

(I brew 6-6.5 gallons so adjust for your system.)

Version 1:
66% Pilsner Malt
31% Munich Malt
2% Melanoiden Malt
1% acidulated malt

60 min. - 2 oz. Hallertau
10 min. - 1 oz. Hallertau
0 min. - 1 oz. Hallertau

Adjust for your system, but shooting for 1.055 OG, 30 IBU's
Single Infusion mash for 75 minutes @152
90 minute boil

2124 Yeast, Big starter, 49-52 degrees for 14 days. Free rise to 67 degrees over the course of 2-3 days. Cold crash, and keg.

Mash Water - 90% RO water. Targeting the following #'s (approximately) on the last couple batches: Ca = 75, Sul = 75, Cl = 40, Bicarb = 40. I used about 2.5 grams of gypsum and 1.5 grams of CaCl.

Version 2:

This may seem a bit unorthodox, but it turns out a nice beer. Most recently, it placed 1st at NHC regional at KC.

53% Pilsner Malt
17% Munich
17% Maris Otter
8% Wheat
4% Cara pils
1% Acidulated

(Aiming for 1.055 OG)

60 min. 1 oz. Northern Brewer
15 min. 1 oz. Liberty
0 min. 1 oz. Tettnang

(aiming for 32 IBU's)

2124 yeast starter, 152 infusion mash 90 minutes, same water profile, same fermentation schedule.

Basically, my goal for Dortmunder has always sort of been "Hoppier Helles or Maltier Pilsner".... and Very, very drinkable.

Cheers!

dort.jpg

Thanks for the updates and recipe.

I'm still working on my triple conical glycol chilled fermentation project. Haven't brewed a lager since last fall dopplebock. Finally carbonated it in February, and with some issues, only recently started drinking it. It is fantastic! I only did a single decoction but it was nearly the entire grain of the mash. Took forever, so I skipped the second decoction and did a temp step with direct heat instead. I cannot imagine a triple decoction with ten gallon batch. Care to detail a little bit about your experiences with triple decoction mashing?

TD

Thanks for the updates and recipe.

I'm still working on my triple conical glycol chilled fermentation project. Haven't brewed a lager since last fall dopplebock. Finally carbonated it in February, and with some issues, only recently started drinking it. It is fantastic! I only did a single decoction but it was nearly the entire grain of the mash. Took forever, so I skipped the second decoction and did a temp step with direct heat instead. I cannot imagine a triple decoction with ten gallon batch. Care to detail a little bit about your experiences with triple decoction mashing?

TD

Before I elaborate, I'll say this. Triple decoction mashes take time!! Each one has been a 9-10 hour brew day. But the complexity, the depth of flavor you get, is impossible to get through any other method, IMHO. I do believe they are worth it.

Now, my eishbock and dunkel were 5 gallon batches using a large rectangular cooler as my mash tun and a 15 gallon keg for heating the grist and later the boil. On each batch, I mashed in at 121. Then pulled about 60-70% (more is better, using the thickest part of the mash) of the grist and put it in the keg to raise it to 147, rest, 156, rest, boil and return, in an effort to raise the whole mash to the next step, in this case being 147. Then rest at 147, pull the same ratio, raise to 156, then boil, return, to raise it all to 156. Rest, pull, boil, raise to 170, vorlauf, lauter, sparge and boil. Its a lot of work. The goal is to use the thickest part of the mash for the 147 and 156 steps, but the thinnest part of the mash for the 170 step, to stop the enzymatic activity. Problem is, when you pull the grist out, the liquid and grist remaining behind can drop in temp. Then it get real tough to hit the next step when its returned ( I found this part is what made half batch decoctions impossible, the temp would drop to far). My recommendation is to pull as much as you can until you learn your equip, cause i the temp is too low when you return the gristfrom a boil, its a lot i wirk to bring it up.

Thanks. Makes sense.

I tried the modified double decoction in the one beer I did a decoction mash. I am able to maintain mash temp for the main mash with my setup no problem. However, at the protein rest infusion temps, or maybe I mashed in at a lower temp I forget now, I initially had a lot of plugged recirculation for some reason. Makes no sense. Anyway, my first decoction was probably too thick and I think I left most of the enzymes behind. I say this because it took FOREVER to convert when I raised the temp on this decoction to the first rest. I eventually ended up adding some of the liquid back to speed it along. My initial decoction was 30 quarts. On big beers like that the decoctions are just painful. I should've done a smaller beer first to get the hang of it. I so much agree though on the flavor. The dopplebock is amazing. Huge efficiency gains too, I was almost at 90% if memory serves.
I bought a 1 qt ladle for this, and ended up heating the decoction in the boil kettle I recall. 30qts for the first decoction. It took so long to achieve conversion in that decoction, that I skipped the planned second decoction. Truth be told, I think that 30 qts of heavy, thick mash was quite nearly the entire grist.

I ended up running out of time that day not anticipating how long it would take. I conducted the boil the following morning. Luckily I didn't need up souring everything. Probably in part only because of the boiled decoction probably killed off the critters. No hint of any sour. One of the better beers I've ever made.

I can't imagine how much effort you're eisbock required...

Well again, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to doing an octoberfest beer soon with decoction mash.

TD

My half batches were impossible to do because there was not enough left behind in my mash tun cooler to keep the temp stable, so it dropped too far (and was subsequently challenging to bring up to the next step). I am working towards a triple 15 gal keg setup, with a propane burner or electric element for the mash tun to maintain a constant temp in the mash. That will remove one of the greatest challenges to this.

At the 5 gallon batch size, I think the Eisbock was easier than the Dunkel, given the (larger) grain bill size. If you return the decocted grist and your temp is high, its far easier to bring it down by stirring than having to pull a portion and boil it to make that step temp. The real challenge I think is in the small grain bills, due to the temp drops.

And as for the eisbock, it has not been bottled yet, but the hydro sample has been nearly beyond description. Massive plum and raisin from the melonoidins, significant mouthfeel and smooth. I hope to make a batch of this every year for a long time to come.

My half batches were impossible to do because there was not enough left behind in my mash tun cooler to keep the temp stable, so it dropped too far (and was subsequently challenging to bring up to the next step). I am working towards a triple 15 gal keg setup, with a propane burner or electric element for the mash tun to maintain a constant temp in the mash. That will remove one of the greatest challenges to this.

At the 5 gallon batch size, I think the Eisbock was easier than the Dunkel, given the (larger) grain bill size. If you return the decocted grist and your temp is high, its far easier to bring it down by stirring than having to pull a portion and boil it to make that step temp. The real challenge I think is in the small grain bills, due to the temp drops.

That is the type of system I have. I will tell you now, if you are doing 5 gallon batches that will be fine. It can do some 10 gallon batches, but you would probably want some larger vessels if you want to do 10 gallons batches. 15 gallons isn't enough for a 90 min full wort boil on a 10 gallon batch without getting boilover. You can get away with it, but bitterness will be lacking if you turn down the intensity of boil. Also for the high gravity dopplebock I did (1.101). My mash tun was nearly overflowing at initial mash in. Also, if you want to heat the mash in water all inside the mash tun or slowly add water to the grain from an HLT, you'll want a larger HLT as well. This applies to 10 gallon batches.

Well, my Octoberfest and Maibock hit FG last week, and I brought the temps up to 68 for 3 days. Back down to 38, and all 4, the pilsner in the keg, helles in secondary, maibock and octoberfest are now lagering. I should be home the 3rd week in July to start enjoying them. The samples on all of these have really been great! Very much looking forward to enjoying them!

"Sometimes Im right half of the time..."

After a month of lagering, I tapped my keg of Pilsner last night. All I have to say is "Wow!"!! That is a damn fine beer!!

My buddy and I prob drank 3 gallons of the pilsner this weekend, and Ive got to say, it has turned out amazing. I felt like Ive made some good beers before, but this was a homerun!!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404676408.555182.jpg

Well, my progress on this goal got slightly interrupted. Early May I was notified that I was going to a 2 month training. So I brewed as much as I could, left June 4, and came home July 3rd to the pilsner you see above. Returned to training for the month of July and was home by late July. The pilsner was finished pretty quickly, and I bottled a case of Munich Helles and a case of Oktoberfest. Both turned out great!! In early september, I brewed an Alt, and after 4 weeks of lagering tapped the keg yesterday. Its really a pretty good recipe! A pic to follow on that. Here is a pic of the Helles..ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415166509.544114.jpg

Anybody have any tips on MaiBock recipe? I've reviews a couple articles from BYO and seen a few recipes.
Want to try another decoction mash this time and wanted suggestions on the mash schedule.

So far I'm thinking mash in at 131 rest 15 minutes then infusion to 145 for 20 minute rest with decoctions for 158 for 15 minutes and mash out(168) ten minutes.

For the caramel malts was thinking cara 8, carahell and caravienne at about 25% combined, with rest of grist mostly pils, and some munich I.

Also wondering about harvesting lager yeast from a conical. With ale yeast, most of the sludge you dump is just trub. But what about lagers (bottom fermenters)?

TD

TrickyDick,

This is the Maibock recipe I used:

6 lbs 4 oz Munich malt
5 lbs 8 oz Pilsner 2 row

2 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker 4.0% (60 min)
.75 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker 4.0%
(15 min)
.5 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker 4.0%
(0 min)

Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager:
1 week at 48 deg
1 week at 50 deg
2 weeks at 52 deg
5 days at 68
Lagered at 38 for 6 weeks
Remained in primary on yeast cake for the total 11 weeks

SG 1.074
FG 1.020
ABV % 7.2

For the mash
Doughed in 11 qts @ 70 (15 min rest)(goal of 70 for this rest)

Acid rest Added 7.5 qt @ 168 (103 deg for 25 min rest)
(Goal of 105 for this rest)

Protein rest: pulled 6 qts heavy grist, raised temp to 122 (10 min), raised to 162 (20 min), boiled, returned to raise (122 for 15 min)
(Goal of 122 for this rest)

Dextrinization rest: pulled 10 qts heavy grist, raised to (158 deg for 20 min), boiled, returned to raise (153 for 20 min)
(Goal of 153 for this rest)

Mash out:
Pulled 8 qts, boiled, raised mash to 169
(Goal was 170)

Sparged with 170 deg water to get 6.75 preboil volume, 90 min boil, 5.25 into primary

Decoction temp increases and rest targets were:

I kegged this and really enjoyed it! Malty, melanoidens, barely hoppy, jus really enjoyable!

Sounds nice. Thanks for sharing.
Was the acid rest enough to achieve proper mash pH all by itself, without any acid malt or acids added?
Have read that head retention suffers when doing a protein rest for fully modified malts. Not sure what malt you were using, but curious how you felt the head retention was.

I had formulated my recipe a year ago but never got around to brewing it. I'm not sure where I culled the information from for the selected temp rests I had in my recipe: 131, 145, 158, 170.

TD

Dont know. Mash Ph was 4.9, but only measured after vorlaufing.

I kegged this beer, and recall head dissipated within 2 minutes, minimal lacing.

And I used Weyermann pilsner malt and munich malt I believe

Thanks!

I think I'm going to skip the crystal malts, and let the decoction step provide the complex malt flavors from a grist of munich and Vienna 50:50 ratio to an OG 1.064. My previous decoction beer had an impressive 90% efficiency, so I may end up adding water to achieve desired post boil gravity if I'm going to hit similar efficiency. I'll monitor pH and add some acid malt if necessary.
Picked up a variety of german hops: hallertau Hersbrucker, magnum, Mittelfrueh, plus some tettnanger. Probably will need the magnum for bittering given the sub 3.0% AA rating, and use the Mittelfrueh at knock out. Maybe some at 5 minutes too.

Picked up the BOCK book so I'll read that before brewing, for a little inspiration and guidance. Might add 1% wheat malt for some additional head retention too.

TD

Back