2013 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd year cascade getting bigger

ForumRunner_20130528_173159.jpg

ForumRunner_20130528_173210.jpg

8 first year hops. 2 cascade, 2 centennial, 2 nugget, and 2 Willamette.
ForumRunner_20130528_162616.jpg

ForumRunner_20130528_162641.jpg

Comin along. This year has been great. "Knock on wood". Hardly any pest, plenty of rain and sunshine. There lovin it.

image-1380608270.jpg

400376_535779989812605_865515068_n.jpg

She's struggling a little bit, but three good bines about 2 feet long after being completely re-potted to get rid of a mushroom problem... I think she's not doing too bad.

Probably not getting the best light either. Oh well, just building roots for next year anyways!

Punx Clever...something that may or not be related to your situation...but mushrooms are often an indicator of over-watering. I can't see the picture on this computer but if you have the option to move the pot to where it gets more sun, the plant will do even more to establish a solid root structure. It's very possible to get a decent yield of hops from a first-year potted plant if you have a huge pot, a good feeding and watering schedule, and ample sunlight.

I had to build extensions for my 3rd year cascades on left. The 2nd year Hallertau on right seem to be doing well also. Took the cascades less than a week to reach to top of the new extensions I built.
img_1267-60117.jpg

basementbrew, I think we're all excited to see how your project develops over the summer :mug:

thanks bottlebomber... It is starting to resemble a jungle. I can't wait till next year when we use 2 twines per plant and the plants are much stronger. None are coming close to forming cones yet. Some of the cascades have started growing sidearms but most of the plants are concentrated on growing up or growing more bines that are looking thick and healthy.

These pictures show how different the timing can be for plants of different varieties in different micro-climates in one yard.

The first picture gives perspective of one section of the yard with hops growing in raised beds, pots, and in the ground.

The next two pictures show the leading Cascade at about 13' just starting to throw sidearms.

In the fourth picture, one bine of a first-year Centennial plant has bracts leading at the laterals--I'd much rather see long laterals forming like the Cascades since the ones above above eye-level generally load up on hops. These potted Centennials will be the source of next year's rhizomes--potted plants make rhizome harvesting a breeze.

I'll put a some Chinook pictures in the next message.

DSC02222.jpg

DSC02197.jpg

DSC02192.jpg

DSC02190.jpg

These pictures show related Chinook plants in a potted south-facing location and maximum exposure to sunlight at about 8-10', versus more mature crowns planted in the ground in a cooler location that gets morning to midday sun mostly. The ones in the ground are just starting to wake up but they have a ton of root competition from the mature trees nearby.

The last picture is a teaser from last year to get us fired up for what's to come.

DSC02239.jpg

DSC02203.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

LabRatBrewer said:
Cones are out... also, an :off: pic of some potatoes grown in bags to allow multiple levels of underground potatoes as the plant grows.

I tried that once, the potatoes I mean. Didn't get a very high yield, but the sure were easy to harvest. Just slice the bag down the side, and bam.

8 first-year varieties on the flag pole that were planted in early April. Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, US Goldings, Magnum, Nugget, and Williamette.

Put a ring of Mammoth Sunflowers around the outer border.

Tallest so far is the Williamette at about 5 ft and the others are catching up fast. Have begun to fertilize with Miracle Grow 18-18-21.

hopsJune3rd2013.jpg

8 first-year varieties on the flag pole that were planted in early April. Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, US Goldings, Magnum, Nugget, and Williamette.

Put a ring of Mammoth Sunflowers around the outer border.

Tallest so far is the Williamette at about 5 ft and the others are catching up fast. Have begun to fertilize with Miracle Grow 18-18-21.

Man the top of that pole is going to be a clusterfuk come harvest...8 varieties all tangled together.
About half way up that pole their side shoots are going to start grabbing onto eachother.

Will I be able to tell them apart by the cone shape/size?

Or can I trim off those side shoots?

Will I be able to tell them apart by the cone shape/size?

Or can I trim off those side shoots?

Nope, theres no real way to tell the difference other than untangling them which honestly because they are so prickly would be like untangling blackberry bushes.

As mentioned the size shoots are where the hops actually grow, so cutting those defeats the purpose. You may need to rethink your design before they get too high.
For decoration your setup would create a beautiful hop teepee of sorts, but for functionality of actually getting hops off those 8 varieties its not going to work.

So im a bit flabbergasted why some of my plants are doing so well and others, not so much. I guess just based on how strong the rhizome i got was? I planted two rhizomes of each this year at the same time, Newport, Cascade and Columbus, each mound had two rhizomes about 6 inches apart. The Cascade is taking off, the Newport is slow but steady but the Columbus is really dwarf looking...everything about it small, the leaves, the bines everything.

The plant on the left is the Columbus, the right is my Cascade which is probably 12-14 feet high now. The Newport not shown is maybe another foot taller than the Columbus. Im heasitant to use fertilizer, i was hoping to use some of our compost but its going slow and not going to be ready for a while ...i may just go pick a bag up and put it down around the slow plants.
2013-06-04%2009.12.47.jpg

Here's an updated picture of my 3rd years. A bunch of them have already made it to the top of my 12ft trellis and are searching the heavens looking for something to grab onto.

The back row is pretty close to a power line, and the bines are looking at it like a 3-balled tomcat.

Do you guys foresee any issues with this? If potentially dangerous, what can I do (aside from cutting the ends) to be safe?

Thanks

image-3759082110.jpg

image-3887085753.jpg

So im a bit flabbergasted why some of my plants are doing so well and others, not so much. I guess just based on how strong the rhizome i got was? I planted two rhizomes of each this year at the same time, Newport, Cascade and Columbus, each mound had two rhizomes about 6 inches apart. The Cascade is taking off, the Newport is slow but steady but the Columbus is really dwarf looking...everything about it small, the leaves, the bines everything.

The plant on the left is the Columbus, the right is my Cascade which is probably 12-14 feet high now. The Newport not shown is maybe another foot taller than the Columbus. Im heasitant to use fertilizer, i was hoping to use some of our compost but its going slow and not going to be ready for a while ...i may just go pick a bag up and put it down around the slow plants.
2013-06-04%2009.12.47.jpg

My Columbus was also a slow mover in comparison to the others. But it is finally taking off. I have had certain isolated spots in my garden that just do not grow anything very well for several years. I think it is because I had small spills of gas or oil in those spots from the cultivation machines. Time has healed them, though.

My two third year plants in the folks' backyard, Currently around 7':
976221_475173352552228_2043811487_o.jpg

This is my 18 plant hop yard that a friend let me build on his land, all second year plants, some getting to chest height right now:
181232_480934801976083_1033053594_n.jpg

Left to right, Fuggles, Willamette, Magnum, Glacier and Mt. Hood. The Willamette and Mt. Hood I grew from rhizomes last year and dug them up when we moved. The rest were crowns from Great Lakes Hops ordered this year. Or rather, the Magnum and Glacier were ordered from GLH and they threw in a bonus Fuggles!

8958571669_c0e8aa40b4.jpg

These are my second year hop plants, spaced 3' apart and they are now up to 18' and climbing. Some plant side arms are about to reach their neighbor plants and I'm about to have a big tangled mess. Any thought on what to do about it?

IMG_5140.jpg

IMG_5141.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

IMG_5145.jpg

IMG_5142.jpg

I just got mine planted the other day. I built three - 2 x 2 x 2 foot planter boxes. I am excitedly waiting for them to push through the soil. When they do, I will put the trellis up.

I will post pictures later.

Here's my first attempt at growing Hops. Willamette poking through. Cascade on the other side is starting to show as well.

Hops_zps13266c0a.jpg

And here's what they will grown on.

Trellis_zps07743ff4.jpg

Flynz said:
These are my second year hop plants, spaced 3' apart and they are now up to 18' and climbing. Some plant side arms are about to reach their neighbor plants and I'm about to have a big tangled mess. Any thought on what to do about it?

Nice sidearms!! That should amount to a high yield.

What kind of fertilizer are you feeding the plants right now?

Nope, theres no real way to tell the difference other than untangling them which honestly because they are so prickly would be like untangling blackberry bushes.

As mentioned the size shoots are where the hops actually grow, so cutting those defeats the purpose. You may need to rethink your design before they get too high.
For decoration your setup would create a beautiful hop teepee of sorts, but for functionality of actually getting hops off those 8 varieties its not going to work.

Am I hooped here too? These are second year. From L to R: Goldings, Cascade, Mt Hood. I dont care if there's a bit of a tangle at the top. I am going to try and keep my eye on things and try and tag vines with different colour twist ties.

image.jpg

image(1).jpg

image(2).jpg

image(3).jpg

image(4).jpg

Left to right, Fuggles, Willamette, Magnum, Glacier and Mt. Hood. The Willamette and Mt. Hood I grew from rhizomes last year and dug them up when we moved. The rest were crowns from Great Lakes Hops ordered this year. Or rather, the Magnum and Glacier were ordered from GLH and they threw in a bonus Fuggles!

8958571669_c0e8aa40b4.jpg

Looks great, wish we had better access here in Oregon to crowns to get a good first year like that.

Since we cant buy/import hop rhizomes or crowns from outside the state, its pretty much just rhizomes you can get.

Am I hooped here too? These are second year. From L to R: Goldings, Cascade, Mt Hood. I dont care if there's a bit of a tangle at the top. I am going to try and keep my eye on things and try and tag vines with different colour twist ties.

Sadly probably, and at this point your pretty committed since your vines are so long.

Your going to likely end up with something like this
HopsJune012.jpg

That big bundle of stuff up at the top is more or less a lost cause for determining what is what if its made up of different plants as you wont be able to tell the difference. Most people who do the Teepee design use the same variety for their multiple mounds so that it doesnt matter if they clump together, since you know all the plants are Cascade for example.

The bad news is a majority of your cones are going to be forming in this top area.

That said you can pick those bunches of tangled hops separately and keep them as a mixed variety and use them in certain experimental beers for dry hopping...it could end up making an amazing beer!

Hey guys, first post in awhile. Lost my old login so created this one. Here is my hop garden / privacy fence. I have two sets. One crawling up the side of the garage and the other by the fence.

They are a couple of Cascade and Saaz plants. I just bought this house last year and planted them this spring. I clipped a couple rhizomes off and they are growing great.

IMAG0291 by DMelsh

IMAG0293 by DMelsh

IMAG0290 by DMelsh

Flynz said:

Nice looking plants. I'd say get a ladder and keep em trained away from each other. Or maybe come harvest cut the base bine and wait tik the leaves start to wilt then pick that variety before cutting another. Just an idea.

Sadly probably, and at this point your pretty committed since your vines are so long.

Your going to likely end up with something like this
HopsJune012.jpg

That big bundle of stuff up at the top is more or less a lost cause for determining what is what if its made up of different plants as you wont be able to tell the difference. Most people who do the Teepee design use the same variety for their multiple mounds so that it doesnt matter if they clump together, since you know all the plants are Cascade for example.

The bad news is a majority of your cones are going to be forming in this top area.

That said you can pick those bunches of tangled hops separately and keep them as a mixed variety and use them in certain experimental beers for dry hopping...it could end up making an amazing beer!

Sounds reasonable. I will do the best I can to keep things organized this year, and next year I will put another 4*4 across the top of the post to form a "T". I will not toss a fresh hop and will most likely use whatever mixed up hops for dry hopping.

The pics actually make em look a little more cramped than what they are too, but I was certainly expecting a clump at the top. What I wasn't expecting was how difficult it will be to tell the hops apart. Wouldn't they smell a bit different ect too?

Growing pretty well here in Michigan. They grow vertically for 4 feet then climb on an incline for 16 more feet. Stawberries growing underneath.

image.jpg

jmich24 said:
Growing pretty well here in Michigan. They grow vertically for 4 feet then climb on an incline for 16 more feet. Stawberries growing underneath.

That's a cool setup..

How old are your plants? How did they look last year?

Back