2013 HBT Fantasy Baseball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa there. Whoa.
lol

Anyone here participate in the HBT fantasy football where the winner had beer sent to them? Anyone up for that? Basically, the champion would have at least 22oz of beer (homebrew or commercial) went to them by everyone in the league.

Whoa there. Whoa.
lol

Anyone here participate in the HBT fantasy football where the winner had beer sent to them? Anyone up for that? Basically, the champion would have at least 22oz of beer (homebrew or commercial) went to them by everyone in the league.

In the HIGHLY MIRACULOUS event that I won, I'd have to pass- I'm across the pond so it wouldn't be ideal for shipping. Likewise for when I lose. I'll be happy to PayPal the winner a few bucks for some local craft brew though...

Count me in for the brew ante!

Pitchers and catchers are about to report!

Both myself and my Sox have a title to defend and I am looking forward to it.

Anyone want to trade? Also we did decide to move the keepers to 9 right?

Dave

For us noobs (me) how about a rules refresher. And since I haven't done the draft before, any explanation will help. I still haven't figured out how to conduct research without knowing which players are available? What are our deadlines to set keepers and when is the draft? Etc...

The only players that are guaranteed to be available are those that are not on teams currently. We will not know which players are going to be kept until immediately before the draft. To combat this, I look at each team and list who I would keep if I were them and go from there.

The draft is likely to be around Sunday, March 23rd but will depend on a few things. That has been its rough date for the last few years. You can set keepers up to 1 hour before the draft, but I recommend doing it in advance of that to avoid complications similar to what we had last year.

In the HIGHLY MIRACULOUS event that I won, I'd have to pass- I'm across the pond so it wouldn't be ideal for shipping. Likewise for when I lose. I'll be happy to PayPal the winner a few bucks for some local craft brew though...

I am very glad that you are going to keep playing. You are an asset to the league! I bet you will see some improvements in your team this year as you seem to be getting a better hang of the format and game.

If you would like, I will share some of my drafting/in season maintenance ideas with you via PM. They are not absolute, but they did work pretty well last year. Entirely up to you though.

I'm in for the brew prize....I'll be glad to send my address so y'all can go ahead and send now.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am very glad that you are going to keep playing. You are an asset to the league! I bet you will see some improvements in your team this year as you seem to be getting a better hang of the format and game.

If you would like, I will share some of my drafting/in season maintenance ideas with you via PM. They are not absolute, but they did work pretty well last year. Entirely up to you though.

Thanks- I'd appreciate some tips! I'll probably have to auto draft again, but we'll see...
Cheers 🍻

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The only players that are guaranteed to be available are those that are not on teams currently. We will not know which players are going to be kept until immediately before the draft. To combat this, I look at each team and list who I would keep if I were them and go from there.

The draft is likely to be around Sunday, March 23rd but will depend on a few things. That has been its rough date for the last few years. You can set keepers up to 1 hour before the draft, but I recommend doing it in advance of that to avoid complications similar to what we had last year.

This. Thanks for following up BSD.

The site has been inaccesible to me so I can't go in and edit any of our settings.

I'd like to go and lock rosters if possible after the World Series each year. I don't think it's fair when someone goes in and picks up a player from the player pool when they are added by the site. Good example would be the Japanese pitcher that the Yankees signed. I think it's most fair that he be a part of the draft.

Is everyone on board for making the Keepers limit 9? I honestly can't recall what we were discussing at the close of the season. I'm cool with that change if everyone else is as well. It does seem high, but I know that I can easily choose 9 guys that I want to hold onto.

What does everyone think of adding another DL slot? I can't have been the only one who had to drop players because of increased injuries.

The site is still down for maintenance. I hope it's fixed soon so I can look at our settings.

I'm in for the brew prize....I'll be glad to send my address so y'all can go ahead and send now.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You want homebrew or local craft? I'm not feeling overly optimistic yet! :D

All that stuff is coming to CT!

I'm sure we can move forward with a prize plan and people could have the option of Paypal if the shipping would be too much.

Can't wait for Spring!

My opinion on the keepers is not upping the limit. But that's because I inherited a team I didn't draft and would prefer to have more draft picks. Just my $0.02.

I also think that 9 keepers is a bit too much. Perhaps consider dropping it down to 6 - 7? That puts more emphasis on the draft vs hoarding prospects.

The site is back up, and the league has been activated for the 2014 season!! We might all be struggling through tundra conditions and wading through mounds of snow, but right now, I'm excited for spring, summer and baseball.

I made the following changes based on our offseason discussions and what I thought would be good changes for the league. We can adjust these if they don't seem to work:

• Increased bench spots from 5 to 6 (increasing active roster by 1)
  • Increased DL slots from 2 to 3 (to account for post steroid era's increased injuries)
  • Temporarily set Waiver Acquisitions to 'None Allowed' so no new players (phenoms, international signings, etc.) could be picked up and stored in the offseason. This will be reset to No Limit immediately following the draft.

Because of an earlier start to the regular season than usual (3/22), I've set the draft date to Friday, 3/21 at 9pm EST.

I'll start up a new '2014' thread once we have our draft.

Be sure to get in there and set your keepers. You have until an hour before the draft to do so.

Can't remember if the email said post here if you're in, or only if you are not in, but anyway, I'm in again.

I'd agree with reducing the keeper limit if it comes up for debate.

Here is a link to the league site:
http://games.espn.go.com/flb/leagueoffice?leagueId=45708&seasonId=2014

The keepers are at 7. I'm not in favor of lowering the keeper limit. If there is a consensus amongst all/majority of owners to lower it, then we can look at it.

I think 7 is good. It may be a lot, but to those of us who have been in the league for 4+ years, its something that we've worked on building long-term contending teams.

Here is the draft order:
1. Dirty South Goose Boners
2. Black Sabathias
3. Bayou Brewers
4. New England Stout Troopers
5. Malones Mustangs
6. PEI Yankees
7. Los Bastardos
8. Eff Yu Darvish
9. Bridge Town IPA Junkies
10. Lipstick City Lotharios
11. Carson Urban Achievers
12. BoSox Dave

I think I mistakenly used the end of regular season standings to determine draft order last year. This year, I used the final standings after the championship.

Doesn't the draft also get affected by the number of keepers that you have? If you don't use the max amount I believe that you end up drafting earlier based on the number of keepers on your roster. Once the draft catches up and everyone has at least 9 people on their roster the draft order kicks in. Is that correct?

The draft order starts from pick #1. But you're right. If you have seven keepers, you don't draft anyone until the eighth round. People who have less keepers do get to draft players sooner.

This is a keeper league we established a few years ago. Typically, we've had a team or two open each year. If anything opens up, I'll get in touch with you.

Strategy time...:ban:

Indeed! I'm on the fence with a few of my players on whether to keep them or not. Biggest one is Matt Harvey. Do I stash him for a year? Trade him for a pick??

Two others are Gio Gonzalez and Carlos Gomez. What to do, what to do...

Harvey is tough. He's not going to get any points this year and probably won't be back until the mid-point of 2015, optimistically. That said, he was a great player last season and made the Mets games that he started must-watch games. Depends on whether you have faith that he'll recover from the surgery and the roster depth to stash him away. Most pitchers come back from Tommy John surgery throwing better and harder than pre-injury.

Harvey is tough. He's not going to get any points this year and probably won't be back until the mid-point of 2015, optimistically. That said, he was a great player last season and made the Mets games that he started must-watch games. Depends on whether you have faith that he'll recover from the surgery and the roster depth to stash him away. Most pitchers come back from Tommy John surgery throwing better and harder than pre-injury.

I know. It's definitely a tough call. If I keep him, then I am committing a DL spot to him for an entire year or more. I guess this wouldn't be a consideration if he was on some other team, and that isn't smart of me.

I'm definitely in and looking forward to it. As usual I'm not expecting to win the season, but sure would be nice to win a handful of match ups again. Need to set my keepers.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Unfortunately, I'm not in this league but wouldn't mind some advice from anyone interested in providing.

I'm in a 14 team, H2H per category, keeper. You can keep four. You just lose your first four picks. I have a difficult choice to make.

Keep four...

H. Ramirez
A. Beltre
T. Tulo
Y. Puig
M. Trumbo
Y. Cespesdes
M. Scherzer

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I'm not in this league but wouldn't mind some advice from anyone interested in providing.

I'm in a 14 team, H2H per category, keeper. You can keep four. You just lose your first four picks. I have a difficult choice to make.

Keep four...

H. Ramirez
A. Beltre
T. Tulo
Y. Puig
M. Trumbo
Y. Cespesdes
M. Scherzer

Thanks.

Puig Scherzer Tulo HanRam

I disagree. I would keep Tulo and Scherzer and MAYBE Beltre but not likely. The idea behind this is that with only 4 keepers if the rest of your league takes 4 then you get two picks where you can rate the rest of your team vs whatever else was not kept. If a lot of teams aren't keeping 4 then there should be lots of value still available. Either way it gives you the flexibility to improve with the likelihood of maintaining status quo at the very least.

What you have to ask yourself is the OBJECTIVE opinion of which of those players are guaranteed top 60 performers? Or more importantly which are in the top 4-5 at their position? You also need to look around and see who you would keep on other teams and make judgment calls based on that. If people are likely to keep a lot of 3B then keeping Beltre makes a lot more sense.

Here is a link to the league site:
http://games.espn.go.com/flb/leagueoffice?leagueId=45708&seasonId=2014

The keepers are at 7. I'm not in favor of lowering the keeper limit. If there is a consensus amongst all/majority of owners to lower it, then we can look at it.

I think 7 is good. It may be a lot, but to those of us who have been in the league for 4+ years, its something that we've worked on building long-term contending teams.

Here is the draft order:
1. Dirty South Goose Boners
2. Black Sabathias
3. Bayou Brewers
4. New England Stout Troopers
5. Malones Mustangs
6. PEI Yankees
7. Los Bastardos
8. Eff Yu Darvish
9. Bridge Town IPA Junkies
10. Lipstick City Lotharios
11. Carson Urban Achievers
12. BoSox Dave

I think I mistakenly used the end of regular season standings to determine draft order last year. This year, I used the final standings after the championship.

Great so I draft in the 12 spot two years straight despite not winning it all both years! :drunk:

More importantly I thought the discussion was to raise the keepers not lower them. Going to 9 would create SO much more intricacy to the league. Do you go all in on aging keepers? Do you try to go young to build for the future? Creates opportunities for positive trades for both people doing well towards the end of a season and for people doing poorly. Trading away an aging star for 1-2 young studs can help both teams with more keepers.

Indeed! I'm on the fence with a few of my players on whether to keep them or not. Biggest one is Matt Harvey. Do I stash him for a year? Trade him for a pick??

Two others are Gio Gonzalez and Carlos Gomez. What to do, what to do...

Please keep Harvey. I would love to see some of my competition use a keeper on a guy who won't play pretty much all year.

I know. It's definitely a tough call. If I keep him, then I am committing a DL spot to him for an entire year or more. I guess this wouldn't be a consideration if he was on some other team, and that isn't smart of me.

Yep

Great so I draft in the 12 spot two years straight despite not winning it all both years! :drunk:

More importantly I thought the discussion was to raise the keepers not lower them. Going to 9 would create SO much more intricacy to the league. Do you go all in on aging keepers? Do you try to go young to build for the future? Creates opportunities for positive trades for both people doing well towards the end of a season and for people doing poorly. Trading away an aging star for 1-2 young studs can help both teams with more keepers.

Ummmm you won the championship last year. Congratulations if this is new information to you.

We did discuss raising the keepers to 9, but some others said that they did not want to, and would actually prefer to lower the amount of keepers. So we'll keep them as is.

Back