2011 San Diego NHC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
olllllo & cape_brewing at banquet

ForumRunner_20110619_121009.jpg

A few of the HBTers that were in attendance on club night. As you can see, the night was a blur.

Left to right: Humann_brewing, Shooter, thesanch, Soperbrew(me), AZ_IPA

ForumRunner_20110619_121420.jpg

Is anyone else a little put off the way that The Brewing Network "Club" won club of the year? I call BS, the majority of those people have never met each other... it'd be like us all entering under HBT or something.

i heard there was unlimited all you can drink free pliny and janets brown ale served

Is anyone else a little put off the way that The Brewing Network "Club" won club of the year? I call BS, the majority of those people have never met each other... it'd be like us all entering under HBT or something.

(knodding in agreement)

Just curious... Are they registered with the AHA as an actual club? Gotta be right? Either way I agree that it is a bit bush league.

(knodding in agreement)

Just curious... Are they registered with the AHA as an actual club? Gotta be right? Either way I agree that it is a bit bush league.

Sure they are. So is HBT. I put HBT as my club name when I entered a couple of years ago. Anybody on this forum can do that if they choose to.

Sure they are. So is HBT. I put HBT as my club name when I entered a couple of years ago. Anybody on this forum can do that if they choose to.

I dont have a problem being "affiliated" with Brewing Network or HBT but I dont think they should be eligible for club awards. They may be registered but they're not "clubs".

The award has been won more often than not by clubs stretching the definition of what a club is. Doze and KCBM are the last two to win with entries in a single region/ judging site. KCBM was over a decade ago.

You could change the rules to put tight geographical limits on club, but the AHA comp committee has been controlled by clubs that won by taking advantage of the loose definition.

I dont have a problem being "affiliated" with Brewing Network or HBT but I dont think they should be eligible for club awards. They may be registered but they're not "clubs".

Well, why aren't they clubs?

I guess you guys live in cities, but the nearest city to me is Green Bay. That's just about 160 miles from me. There is a nice homebrew club there, but I've never gone to a meeting as it's not really very convenient. I have judged for them, and for the county fair.

Everything I know about brewing comes from this forum, and the people on the forum. When I enter a competition (very rare these days), should I say "no club"? What's the definition of a club?

I'm not really arguing, as the BN Army is kinda a weird concept to me anyway. But I can definitely understand why someone would put them down as a club.

From my perspective what they are doing is creating "mega-clubs" that dont have any real "organization" than a website. It is a global club with anyone on the planet able to join. While I think it is a cool idea to include as many people as they can, I also see it as a cheesy marketing ploy just to get the name out.

Maybe I'm just playing the role of the grumpy old man but to Grem's point, very few of these folks know each other remotely. Does Yoop know HBT folks? Of course. But what percentage of "members" do you know? 1/2 a percent? 1/10th of one percent? I dunno.. When I think club, I think a regional group that gets together, in person, and does tastings, conducts talks, has events...

I dunno... I just think having a website and "members" all over the planet its a bit cheesy and its a bit a cheatin'

I just feel that 1) it is solely a social media marketing gimmick out to spread the word about their show 2) if they do this every year, then there is no way any other club will ever win the award and the whole thing becomes a big joke and people stop caring.

Yooper, what you said makes perfect sense, but at some point there has to be some limits and rules established as to what constitutes a club otherwise club-glomerates will end up winning stuff all the time.

I think both HBT and The BN provide a great resource to the home brew community, But I would not call either a club, and don't think ether should be eligible for club of the year. It would be best if groups would be recognized at NHC based on their competition performance and their club night voting. I might have missed it on club night because we where too busy serving beer and talking to people about our beers, but I did not see a BN booth? There where a lot of people who put in a lot of effort to make club night awesome, who really have no way to be recognized.

i feel like this debate should be entered into its own thread. but why did BN even enter into club of the years awards? is there a prize awarded for winning? clubs have actual in person meetings. you can list HBT as a default if you dont have a club, but it should never win a "club award" as its a social forum, not a club

also, how is "club of the year" awarded, what do they base it on? there has to be some kind of evaluation

Yooper, what you said makes perfect sense, but at some point there has to be some limits and rules established as to what constitutes a club otherwise club-glomerates will end up winning stuff all the time.

While I agree with this sentiment, this has already been happening even before BN.

QUAFF may be ostensibly San Diego residents, but Jamil is nominally a QUAFF member and won his Ninkasis as a QUAFF member and that certainly helped them get the club awards. Gordon Strong submitted his beers as a St Paul member and naturally that put them over the top for the club prize. I think the line has already been pretty blurry for a number of years, only now that it is explicitly non-geographical everybody is up in arms.

also, how is "club of the year" awarded, what do they base it on? there has to be some kind of evaluation

Its a total of 1st round and second round comp points and points collected during the AHA club only comps throughout the year. Who cares if they are a huge club? They had the most points, so they win. If you dont want them to win get your club to make better beer and beat them.

The fact that they dont have the ability to get together and share tips etc puts them at a disadvantage as far as I can see. You have access to all of the resources they have as a "club". Ill admit I questioned it when they called their name out too but Justin cleared the air pretty well in my opinion during their little speach. I dont have a problem with it, frustrating as it may be to be up against them, its no more frustrating to me to be up against a massive club from a huge city. Oh yeah, I dont really compete anyway.

BTW just wanted to say I had a great time meeting all the HBTers, and you guys make good stuff.

Also although I had planned to go to NHC in Seattle next year, as soon as they announced the actual dates my hopes were crushed. SWMBO's b-day is on the 22nd and there is about 0% chance she will be interested in attending a homebrew conference.

The fact that they dont have the ability to get together and share tips etc puts them at a disadvantage as far as I can see. You have access to all of the resources they have as a "club". Ill admit I questioned it when they called their name out too but Justin cleared the air pretty well in my opinion during their little speach. I dont have a problem with it, frustrating as it may be to be up against them, its no more frustrating to me to be up against a massive club from a huge city. Oh yeah, I dont really compete anyway.

its no disadvantage at all, its the advantage of having a unlimited unnumbered club, with no limit on the entries. by not being a official club with no meetings, they can have 1000s of entries, and the poorer beers dont get reflected into the judging for the award. its like me entering a beer as the same club soper is in, even though i never talked to any of the members or meet them in person. its BS

Good times. I've never seen some much good beer in my life. Good meeting a bunch of you.

Did anyone else catch Bryndilson's American Hops presentation? I thought it was one of the better talks and tied in nicely with some of the points Charlie Bamforth was making in his presentation earlier that morning, TOO early to be honest, about the importance of the oil components of hops and the need to get a better understanding about their contributions to flavor and aroma.

Did anyone else catch Bryndilson's American Hops presentation? I thought it was one of the better talks and tied in nicely with some of the points Charlie Bamforth was making in his presentation earlier that morning, TOO early to be honest, about the importance of the oil components of hops and the need to get a better understanding about their contributions to flavor and aroma.

I didn't see the scheduled seminar, but I suspect he did the same or similar presentation to what he did for the BJCP reception. I agree I thought that was one of the most useful bits I picked up the whole I time I was at NHC. Now I want all my hops labeled with essential oil% in addition to AA%. In fact, I would probably be willing to pay more for hops where I could get that data.

The other part of that was in Charlie Bamforth's presentation where he went into detail about how the method of extraction and also the ratio of the types of alpha acids in the hops makes a huge impact on perceived bitterness.

Back