2011 San Diego NHC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. I am getting in at about 2:00 on Weds so I was going to check in and then go for a ride with the top down (rented a convertable) and see if I could lay my hands on some interesting beers we don't see much of on the right-hand coast

BevMo will not have RR. Vinnie pulled their products from BevMo a while back.

I don't know what time I will be getting there Wednesday, but I was planning to do that pub crawl bus thing.

The best damn beer shop is downtown, and close to the conference.

http://www.bestdamnbeershop.com/

Up here by my house and close to the TC is Keg and bottle (same people as KNB wine cellars)

http://www.kegnbottle.com/
3566 Mt. Acadia Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92111

They just built a larger beer area, and have some of the smaller/new breweries beers in stock like Iron Fist (IMO- one of the top new breweries in SD) and Manzanita.

There is also a good beer shop,(Mesa Liquor and wine) with lots of RR on Convoy across the street from a good beer bar O'Brien's that is run my Tom Nickel, they usually will have a couple RR tion beers on tap, and a good bottle list.

BevMo abuses beer...

"BevMo" rhymes with "hell no". Go somewhere else. Every BevMo I've been in is a waste of time unless you want Budweiser.

Anybody up for a tasting at Thursday at 11am, I'm bringing some beers and some meads, the festivities don't start until 1:00 so we have two hours!! :D

"BevMo" rhymes with "hell no". Go somewhere else. Every BevMo I've been in is a waste of time unless you want Budweiser.

Anybody up for a tasting at Thursday at 11am, I'm bringing some beers and some meads, the festivities don't start until 1:00 so we have two hours!! :D

I, too, shall have some beers and meads. Sounds like a party. :D

Just realize that Holiday Wine Cellar is like 45 minutes North of where the conference is.

Oh, and I'll be near the CHUG booth at Club Night for most of the evening, I'm thinking.

I tend to buy all my New Belgium and Deschutes special releases at BevMo. They do have some good stuff if you take the time to look.

However, there are way better places to find bottles. If you go to K&B Wine Cellar, look next door at Windmill Farms. It is a grocery store, but their beer selection is pretty fantastic. Prices are way better than next door, too.

I'll bring some stuff too, sounds like a good idea.

Let's have a raise of hands on who is going to NHC......

27.gif

Getting together sounds like a great idea! How are we going to communicate with each other about meeting? Through this thread???

I'm totally buying one of those ha.... heyyyyyyy... waaaaait a minute... I bet you someone's just trying to make a few unsuspecting poor souls look silly.

A mean-spirited prank outta Piscataway??

I like it.... pissed I didn't think of it.

The best damn beer shop is downtown, and close to the conference.

http://www.bestdamnbeershop.com/

Up here by my house and close to the TC is Keg and bottle (same people as KNB wine cellars)

http://www.kegnbottle.com/
3566 Mt. Acadia Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92111

KNB Wine Cellars is approx 6 miles from the hotel. They have one of the best beer selections in town. 30 Taps, and loads of beer. Also, Windmill Farms grocery store, next door, also has a great beer selection, Directions

If you are looking for Russian River bottles, this is the only place I know about in the area. La Mesa Market & Liquors, Directions

I live in the area, so I'll be heading down on Thursday.

I like the cut of your jib.

Your BevMo's must suck... We definitely have better bottle shops than that here, but our BevMo's have pretty good selection. I've picked up a few rare beers from the BevMo's around me as well, such as Abacus and FW14. They stock all the local regulars and pretty much anything else you can get in California (with the exception of Russian River), with a good selection of out of state beer as well. I can't speak to their beer storage practices, but the few guys I've spoken to when trying to find limited releases seem pretty into beer.

Your BevMo's must suck... We definitely have better bottle shops than that here, but our BevMo's have pretty good selection. I've picked up a few rare beers from the BevMo's around me as well, such as Abacus and FW14. They stock all the local regulars and pretty much anything else you can get in California (with the exception of Russian River), with a good selection of out of state beer as well. I can't speak to their beer storage practices, but the few guys I've spoken to when trying to find limited releases seem pretty into beer.

The BEVMO in Sacramento had RR beers when I was out there a few weeks ago. I also got Abacus and FW14 there. I actually may not do any bottle shopping while Im out there this trip. Im sure the stores will be overrun with NHC'ers

If nothing's going on before 1pm on Thursday I have an idea. Gremlyn wanted to have some type of HBT gathering at his place sometime during NHC week so this might fit. Just throwing this out there, but what if we all got together at Grem's for this tasting?

p.s. I'm assuming Gremlyn's offer still stands.

If nothing's going on before 1pm on Thursday I have an idea. Gremlyn wanted to have some type of HBT gathering at his place sometime during NHC week so this might fit. Just throwing this out there, but what if we all got together at Grem's for this tasting?

I think we could make that work...

I think we could make that work...

I noticed on the schedule there is usually a few hours between the last class of the day and the evening portion every night. I assume to give people a chance to go out for a bite to eat or something. This might be a nice time on one of the nights.

Anythin' going on Weds. night other than ticketed events? I am getting in around 2:00, heading to one of the liquor stores recommended above and then checking into the Town and Country and then.... Ehh. Somethin'

Anythin' going on Weds. night other than ticketed events? I am getting in around 2:00, heading to one of the liquor stores recommended above and then checking into the Town and Country and then.... Ehh. Somethin'

Brewing Network Party is that night. I am going to be on the Stone Brewing Tour that afternoon and get back at 7:30, so it looks like I will miss the bus to it. I am not sure if I still should buy tickets, and plan on catching a cab there or not.

I'm kind of shying away from the BN party. There are still tickets but I'm not sure I'm interested. I'm going to have 3 full days of "officially organized" events... with little tasting glasses and lectures... I think that is enough.

I'm leaning towards a bunch of HBT'rs takin' over a bah somewhere and doing an informal thing

I'm leaning towards a bunch of HBT'rs takin' over a bah somewhere and doing an informal thing

I'll be on the pub crawl with AZ_IPA and Soperbrew.. I'll PM my phone # so if you wanna catch up with us you can txt me.

I'm cool going to Grem's on Thursday, but I need to be back at the hotel by 1:30p, I'm stewarding for the second judging session.

For HBTers that want to meet for beers on the pub crawl or just to keep in contact we should have some type of number swap somehow. Is there a way to do this without giving out my # to the world?

For HBTers that want to meet for beers on the pub crawl or just to keep in contact we should have some type of number swap somehow. Is there a way to do this without giving out my # to the world?

I am all set. I have Sacc's #.

If folks have smaht phones, you could just update this thread in real time.

I've got soper and humann's #; soper has Sacc's, and Cape has Sacc's.

Sounds like we have some sort of informal phone connection going on :drunk:

Toronado later for me. Doing O'briens event tommorow, breakfast weds, bjcp reception then bna6. See you there.

The Town and Country is only actually within walking distance (probably 20mins or so) of the nearest BevMe... like someone already said, they don't have the best selection but if you have no car and don't want to cab it all over town, this is your nearest/best option to the hotel for some grab & go beers to take back.

Latest posts

Back