2011 San Diego NHC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pub crawling will be tough, unless there is an organized bus or a Designated Driver to haul the soon-to-be-sopered HBT members around.

I know that an HBT party at Naked City is Imperative. :rockin:

Pub crawling is going to be a challenge. Several of the local clubs are engaged in conversation on this topic with our state homebrew organization. Many of the best nano breweries are spread out across a braod region. We are pretty sure a bus will be run into the downtown Seattle area to hit a few of the big boys down there like Pike Brewing, Pyramid, Elysian. But we are considering individual charterred pub crawls as well to hit some of the outliers. This would only be practical the day or two before the conference starts.

Hi, there.

We are going to have a bunch of bus tours around to the breweries all over the Sound. North South, East Sound, South Sound, Fremont, etc.

For downtown, we are actually going to recommend a self tour using Sound Transit. From the Bellevue Transit center there is a bus that will take you straight downtown EVERY 15 MINUTES for $2.50! We may organize one group tour together but we are going to recommend that everyone take the time to do a tour at their own pace this way and also enjoy the downtown sights.

We are already working on the walking tour guide as we speak!

Cheers,
Mark Emiley
Conference Co-*****

Nice, thanks for uploading those. I saw someone else recording, not sure if it was you, looks like we had a lot of overlap.

Of the ones you didn't record, I recorded (but haven't transferred yet):
Going Pro Panel
A Saison for Every Season
Doing it the German Way
AHA Members Meeting
Choosing the Right Yeast

At some point the AHA should post all of the seminars anyway. These are not intellectual property and can be shared freely.

I agree that the AHA should post them. They do post the Powerpoints. But the presenters are asked first if that's OK. I don't understand "These are not intellectual property and can be shared freely." That's not the way I see it. Not to mention, it's just good manners to ask the presenters.

At some point the AHA should post all of the seminars anyway. These are not intellectual property and can be shared freely.

Really? I dunno about you, but I paid something like $190 to attend these seminars, and they were closed to anyone not attending the conference. I am not sure WHO owns the content rights...that is, whether it is the speaker or the AHA or the attendees, but at the very least you could consider this content work-for-hire and proprietary.

I think it is very nice that AHA puts up the powerpoints on their website, but I don't think they are obligated to make it freely available to the public by any means, especially to non-AHA members and/or non-conference attendees.

(snippage) Who cares if they are a huge club? They had the most points, so they win.

Of course that would be true, IF they were a Club, but they definitely are NOT.

I had to leave the Banquet early to get our beers ready to pour at the Tiki Room for the stampede that began the minute the Banquet ended. So I didn't hear the HCOTY announcement.

And it is total horse****.

CLUBS have REGULAR meetings, bylaws or a charter of some kind, and events. Many CLUBS hold regional competitions, which further the hobby. CLUBS also hold preparatory classes and host BJCP Exams, without which the NHC would be impossible.

CLUBS have people working to further the hobby, to educate new brewers and further the education of old brewers. My CLUB is the oldest club in the country, I'm in my 11th year on the Board of Directors, and I can tell you that a real CLUB has a core of volunteers that put in a lot of time between meetings, tastings, etc, and THAT is the kind of CLUB that the award was originally intended to recognize. Now, my club has not been in serious contention for the COTY for many years, we just don't have that many people entering the NHC, but that's besides the point.

The BNA is fun, entertaining, etc, and I know several guys like Push and Jamil that have been big BNA proponents, but the BNA NOT A CLUB.

I seriously doubt the BN had anywhere near a hundred entrants. They entered all regions, but QUAFF amd SPHBC typically entered four or more.
QUOTE]

Allowing entries to be sent to regionals other than the entrant's own geographical region was strictly about logistics - spreading the number of entries around to enable the judging to be done in a reasonable amount of time. The Souhern California Regional was already at 3 sessions (a Friday night and two on Saturday), and still swamped. There's no correlation between that and the fact that BNA is not a club.

BTW I cannot get over the fact that QUAFF showed up with 135 kegs to club night. That is just sick.

Yeah, but how many of them went home full? They only had 14 taps at Club Night, IIRC, and I was one of the guys disconnecting all the cornies and emptying the walk-in Saturday night after the Tiki Room closed - they had a crapload of kegs that still felt full. Not to besmirch their efforts, especially Harold, and Tom and Chad and Dominic, etc, etc. They kicked ass.

That is exactly what happened with QUAFF and Saint Paul. Jamil submitted his beers as a QUAFF member even though he lives in the bay area (well--more like Sacramento), and Gordon Strong submitted his under Saint Paul even though he lives in Ohio.

Sach covered Gordon, so I'll throw in my 2 cents about Jamil. First met him over 7 years ago, and asked him why QUAFF? Simple answer: For years he lived in Elk Grove (Sacramneto area), but his family was in S.D., he had been an active QUAFF member, and continued to make most of the meetings, etc. He even came by our (Maltose Falcons) club on a trip back north, and ferried our entries to the Cali State Fari in Sac.

Sure, QUAFF kicked our asses year after year in the COTY, but it was always legit, IMHO.

IMAG0807.JPG

AZ_IPA displays the Hop Dog beer from registration

IMAG0810.JPG

HBT group waiting for a Beer & Mead sampling. In pic are: olllllo, thesanch, weirdboy, wreals, tedski, emyrs, saccharomyces, cape_brewing.

IMAG0812.JPG

Gremlyn1 & Soperbrew

IMAG0815.JPG

Cape_Brewing about to open a beer

IMAG0816.JPG

HBT group tasting Meads & Beers and eating donuts & pizza. In the pic: weirdboy, shooter, olllllo, saccharomyces, gremlyn1, wreals, tedski, cape_brewing, and emyrs.

IMAG0828.JPG

Soperbrew & Justin from Brewing Network

IMAG0836.JPG

John Palmer & Soperbrew

IMAG0844.JPG

BMW Ed & Soperbrew

IMAG0847.JPG

Ray Daniels & Soperbrew

IMAG0857.JPG

The Pierogi Truck. One of the few sources of food at NHC.

IMAG0863.JPG

olllllo displays his club shirt.

IMAG0866.JPG

Some of the ASH taps at club night. #4 "Get a little Soper in you" Watermelon Wheat

IMAG0871.JPG

Soperbrew & Gordon Strong

IMAG0875.JPG

A few HBTers at club night. In the pic: humann_brewing, shooter, thesanch, Soperbrew, and part of AZ_IPA.

IMAG0881.JPG

Three HBT amigos at club night. saccharomyces, AZ_IPA, and thesanch.

IMAG0888.JPG

AZ_IPA & Saccharomyces sharing their meads with ASH members on the grass. No glass was permitted in the Tiki lounge area so we sat on the grass just outside it.

IMAG0904.JPG

AZ_IPA displays a Rogue beer during banquet dinner.

IMAG0906.JPG

Hombrew chef Sean Paxton & Soperbrew.

IMG_4979.JPG

One of the refrigerated trailers for storing the beer at the hotel. There were 3 or 4 of these & they got way more full after this pic was taken.

IMG_4984.JPG

AZ_IPA & Saccharomyces have a beer on the pub crawl night.

IMG_4985.JPG

Chriswilkes33 orders a beer at the Small Bar on pub crawl night.

IMG_4989.JPG

Some HBTers meet at the Small Bar on pub crawl night. In the pic: hopeye101, chriswilkes33, soperbrew, az_ipa, & saccharomyces.

IMG_4991.JPG

Saccharomyces retrieves his billion dollar camera & bag after leaving it behind in the last pub.

IMG_4996.JPG

Cape_Brewing & local restaurant owner talk about craft beer & wine. The owner claimed to be the first to offer craft beer selection in his restaurant & others soon followed. He made us try a glass of his favorite Beaujolais.

IMG_4998.JPG

No idea? Soperbrew reaches for the camera.

IMG_4999.JPG

Soperbrew warding off Chriswilkes33. Don't ask.

IMG_5002.JPG

Soperbrew pours a a fellow HBTers homebrew in front of Gremlyn1's place.

IMG_5007.JPG

Gremlyn1 builds his club's beer engine for use at club night while everyone else samples mead & beer and watches.

IMG_5008.JPG

Saccharomyces opens a beer for everyone to sample at Gremlyn1's place.

IMG_5009.JPG

Gremlyn1 displays his multi-port chill plate he's using on the beer engine he built while everyone drank & watched.

IMG_5010.JPG

Soperbrew acting like Emyrs is feeding him the last of the Utopias clone bottle brought by Cape_Brewing to the gathering.

IMG_5011.JPG

AHS Forrest & Soperbrew

IMG_5013.JPG

Shooter!

IMG_5017.JPG

NHC director Gary Glass & Soperbrew

IMG_5025.JPG

AZ_IPA & Ken Schramm

IMG_5030.JPG

olllllo at the peirogi truck.

IMG_5033.JPG

AZ_IPA & olllllo

IMG_5034.JPG

olllllo & Soperbrew. Soperbrew displays the maple donut with a slice of bacon on top.

IMG_5046.JPG

thesanch is too good for beer at this moment.

IMG_5073.JPG

The CHUG booth at club night. HBTers in pic are: bsquared, carnevoodoo, & emyrs.

IMG_5086.JPG

olllllo talks to the Basic Brewing guys while AZ_IPA lurks in the back.

IMG_5089.JPG

CHUG HBTers at club night. In the pic: Gremlyn1, emyrs, bsquared, & carnevoodoo.

IMG_5094.JPG

The olllllo keg stand. Nice balance!

IMG_5098.JPG

bsquared bought a firkin!

IMG_5099.JPG

hopeye101 & chriswilkes33 chillin at nhc.

All my NHC 2011 pics can be found here. The originals to the pics that were posted should be in there.

The links in my signature should also work for viewing this year and last year's NHC pics.

having%20a%20sip%20at%20the%20hospitality%20suite.jpg

Soperbrew sampling a beer in the hospitality suite.

The next 3 pics are Soperbrew eating Goulash at the Peirogi truck in the middle of the night.

eating%20goulash%20at%20peirogi%20truck.jpg

eating%20goulash%20at%20peirogi%20truck%202.jpg

eating%20goulash%20at%20peirogi%20truck%203.jpg

ok, It seems Soper had the most fun and was the most fun to be around! Or at least the drunkest. Which is the same right? Hoping to make it to Philly in '12

LOL... I forgot about Sacc runnin' down the street with the backpack.

That restaurant owner guy was actually really cool to talk to for a bit and the whole, "here, try this wine" was comical. Soper's drinking Stone's Anniversary hop bomb of a beer and then takin tiny sips of this red wine... "hmmm. Yeaaah, I'm picking up some nice hints here and there".

Weren't you on the way to or from the Peirogi truck here?

IMG_5013.JPG

I was headed over to the food trucks with a couple of my club members and we were told, incorrectly it seems, that the peirogi truck was almost out of food. So, we went over to the Cheesecake Factory for a somewhat uneventful meal. Ah well, it was all just padding for the beer anyway!

Back