2011 Hop Garden Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0410011257a.jpg

0410011257.jpg

0410011257b.jpg

my hops garden/beergarden

I have been waiting to take pictures of my hop garden to show you guys for the last couple weeks.

In fact I promised to make a youtube video showing how to dig up rhizomes and how to make rhizomes.

Well last night while watching the Stanley Cup playoff games I walked to the window to see the couple inches of snow they thought we would get.

4/19/2011

F-ING AWESOME!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Now the title of the thread is "2011 Hop Gardens" so this is my garden right now!

attachment.php

In total we got over 8 inches of snow. I had already taken the snow blower off of the Kubota and this snow was far too wet and heavy to drag with the back blade.

Both my Centennials and Cascades were above ground and temps got well bellow freezing.

I have not one single concern about my hops making it through this. In fact this post right here is one I hope people reference others to when they as "will the frost hurt my hops?". Just send them here and show them the complete snow covered hops that were actually completely frozen. Even though it is still snowing today, 2-3 more inches, and the temps have been completely frozen for 2 days, I know for sure the hops are fine. There is no doubt in my mind.

Anyway, I wish we had snow all year round. I can not stand the heat and wish every day I walked out to fresh snow like this but the world doesn't work that way. So to have a snowfall in late April like this is awesome. I can't wait until winter starts again!

DSCN0327.jpg

DSCN0329.jpg

DSCN0330.jpg

Anyway, I wish we had snow all year round. I can not stand the heat and wish every day I walked out to fresh snow like this but the world doesn't work that way. So to have a snowfall in late April like this is awesome. I can't wait until winter starts again!

you better be sarcastic! i'm in chicago, and the damn winter just refuses to go away !

My first attempt at growing hops, or anything for that matter. Planted on 4/12. On the left is a Willamette rhizome that will grow up the trellace further from the fence and I will string them across to the other side. On that right side is a Nuggett rhizome on the trellace cloer to the fence and I will do the same to that and string it across. I doubt it will reach all the way across, this being its first year.
I haven't seen any sprouts yet, but there has been tons of rain so I am hoping that they will shoot out soon. Could really use some sun too...

217284_2003001079791_1386518725_2381387_5621260_n.jpg

I have a first-year hop garden planted. My Cascade, Centennial and Nugget have just poked through the soil. The Fuggle has not poked its head up yet. I will get some pictures tomorrow.

I am going to have to do something about these soon... that shepard's hook does not stand a chance.

IMAG0436.jpg

Here is my 1st year Garden. Just planted on April 9th.

In order:

Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Willamette

Plenty of fresh soil and mushroom compost. Plus some worm compost for good measure! It got real cold and rainy just after planting. The weather has turned around now and they've started to move a little faster.

Can't wait to see how it goes. 1st year here we come!!!

_MG_8434 - Version 2.jpg

_MG_8436 - Version 2.jpg

_MG_8438 - Version 2.jpg

_MG_8441 - Version 2.jpg

_MG_8442 - Version 2.jpg

you better be sarcastic! i'm in chicago, and the damn winter just refuses to go away !

Sarcastic about wanting winter year round?

No, I really do wish we had winter year round. I have a lot more fun when the ground is covered in snow.

Plus summer means that you can't even go for a walk because it feels like heat stroke is setting in after a minute.

Here is a picture of the beginning of my hop garden. 3 strains so far: Willamette, Nugget, & Sunbeam...enjoy!
photo3.jpg

This appears to be the perfect thread for me to get my feet wet around here...

We (the girlfriend and I) are first time hop growers and have spent the last 3 months reading up on everything we can find about growing these magical little beasts.

To start off our happy hoppy journey, we preordered 6 different rhizomes from MoreBeer.com (I've been doing business with them since I got back into brewing and really like them).. at the beginning of this month, they shipped us our rhizomes: nugget, cascade, centennial, Northern Brewer and fuggle. The horizons didn't come in this year for them, so I was left with an odd number of plants, which is really screwing with my OCD.

So, because I'm a full time student, work full time, and have 3 home businesses that equate to another full time job, the rhizomes were forgotten.. and promptly lost. About a week later, I found them in the bathroom (??) and we made the hurried trip to the local big box for some quality potting soil. The little bugger had already started sprouting, seemingly content in their little baggies. The fuggle "rhizome" was more like a fuggle "root ball", really. The thing was huge... the size of a Maine potato (not one of those wimpy little ID potatoes.. lol)

I know nothing about growing anything. I have a blackish-brown thumb. I can kill weeds just by looking at them. I am the evil Chuck Norris of the plant kingdom. So at this point, I am 100% relying on my greenery-gifted girlfriend.

We got the potting soil all nice and moist and planted our bittersweet babies per the best directions I've read online: "Dig a hole, throw them in and cover them up. They will grow." (that came from another user on this forum, but I've forgotten who, so credit goes to him,regardless). We placed the pots in our Pub (click for the Facebook page. Yes, we're dorks like that) and got swept up in the hellish non-stop that is our life.

But... the next DAY there was action. :ban:

Over the next week, the Cascade exploded, shooting up probably 10", seemingly overnight... click for bad cellphone pic.... I've been at work since 5am Monday morning (I work a 36 hour shift), and haven't actually been back in The Pub since Sunday morning, so there is no telling what those little critters are doing at this point. I figure since I'm not home to kill them with my evil anti-plant vibes, they should be flourishing nicely.

We have probably another 3 weeks before we can even think of putting them in the ground, so the past 20 or so hours here at work, I've been researching trellis design and orientation. We live in town, but it's a tiny little town, and we have a reasonably-sized back yard. We are also surrounded by trees and hedges and more trees, so the hops are going to be placed in the center of our east-facing sloped yard, in a north/south orientation and they will have sun pretty much from sunrise to sunset. Raised beds will be involved. I'm still working on trellis design.. there's been too many options to choose from.

I'm especially interested in hearing from other folks around the 46th parallel and their success stories, ideas and suggestions for a better hop yield from more northern climates.

Sorry for the rambling. Cheers! :mug:

Question:

I have two Mt. Hood hop plants in their second year. The first year they were planted a little late and didn't have a harvest but did relatively well. Plus I live in NE. This year, one of them is doing awesome, with about 20 sprouts (tallest is about 1 foot tall now). The other is doing ok with about 5 sprouts.

Should I cut back and let new growth come in for the one that's doing well? or just go with what's coming up now since it's almost May? Should I only allow 3 or 4 sprouts to grow considering they're 2nd year? With the other one that isn't doing as well yet, I was thinking of giving it another year without doing any pruning.

I planted a Nugget plant today. I am super excited to see how it grows this year, never done hops before, although I have experience with other veggies. (Actually super excited about my tomatoes this year too, bought a bunch of different heirloom varieties, and they're starting to overtake my grow area downstairs!!)

Not sure when I will start to see new growth on it, as our last frost date isn't for another week and a half, and I would assume it depends on soil temps to trigger new growth. The plant I bought was in a 1 gallon pot, and the lady at the nursery said it should be fine even though it was from last year.

When I planted it, I dug a hole about 2 feet deep, and 2 feet around. I filled it up halfway with compost and peat, and mixed it with the native soil (really sandy) that I had dug out.

I then used a giant pot I had lying around from an apple tree I am trying to espalier against a fence (search my garden videos on youtube -look for 'MrKanataMan'. No hops vids yet, but will be once I can get out there and showcase it!). Anyways, took that big pot, cut the bottom off of it, and stuck it in the hole, to act as a barrier from it trying to take over my yard. Will a barrier about 12 inches deep into the ground all around the hop plant prevent it from spreading? It can still grow down all it wants and get under the barrier if it wants to.

I seem to be rambling here, but I love looking at everyone elses pics here ( I love watching gardening video's on youtube too, so go ahead, make movies of your hops, and I will watch them!)

Question:

I have two Mt. Hood hop plants in their second year. The first year they were planted a little late and didn't have a harvest but did relatively well. Plus I live in NE. This year, one of them is doing awesome, with about 20 sprouts (tallest is about 1 foot tall now). The other is doing ok with about 5 sprouts.

Should I cut back and let new growth come in for the one that's doing well? or just go with what's coming up now since it's almost May? Should I only allow 3 or 4 sprouts to grow considering they're 2nd year? With the other one that isn't doing as well yet, I was thinking of giving it another year without doing any pruning.

I base how much I cut back by how many ropes there are to climb. On my 2nd year plants, I kept 3 per rope (3 ropes per plant) and I still had a good harvest. I may have had more/bigger if I cut back more ... not sure.

You really cant do wrong.

On the differece in growth rates - plants are just different sometimes. Try to give the smaller some fertilizer (organic). If it continues to do poorly in the years to come..you could just split the hardier one.

I've been posting in EdWort's stickied thread about TX hops growers because I live in Houston, but I thought I would share my first hops growing experience with y'all too.

Nugget < 1 month
Nugget4-26-11.jpg

Cascade < 1 month
Cascade4-26-11.jpg

It's not that hot here yet (91 right now) so I'm worried when we start hitting 105+ they won't be able to handle it. We shall see I guess.

Good luck to the other hops growers out there!

Mine are starting a bit slow but are picking up some steam.
a849044d.jpg

They are cascade, centennial, and chinook. 2nd year plants. I have another place on the other side of my house that I just planted a Mt. Hood, and Zeus. The Zeus had 2 white shoots coming out of it which I left the tops of exposed and they are green and starting to grow. The Mt. Hood hasn't come out of the dirt yet. I just planted them on Saturday 4/16.

Hey bro,
fancy seeing you here! Glad to hear yours sprouted. I just got a 20gallon pot with a chinook rhizome in it so it should be sprouted by the time you get here hopefully.

I don't have a hop garden yet but I will plant soon, and am looking at some of these setups for inspiration. I dont think a 20 ft trellis is going to fly, so thinking about just going with pots for now, with a stake, and maybe run some twine from the stake to a make shift trellis, maybe 8-10 ft at best. I guess if nothing it will at least be a start, so I can get the roots going this year.

My cascade did horrible last year. I think its a combo of my lack of attention and lack of sun. The power people decided to take a monster tree out of my yard about a month ago and my cascade root came back this year. I walked out side while clearing what they didn't take a few weeks ago and much to my surprise, it was running up the rope I have. I added another rope and pulled it apart so it would climb 2 ropes and its growing daily now. Pics to come.

I also want to purchase a few more rhizome's, hopefully placing my order tomorrow. I need to drink a few more tasty brews to get things figured out. lol.

my Nugget, Cascade, and Mount Hood hops are in their second year, and coming back strong. here's a few photos of the Nuggets, so far:

...and here's the whole set ~ Hops: 2011

I need to get some shots of the Mt. Hood this weekend. The bines are incredibly thick already. Funny thing is, they barely produced at all last year, while the others did quite well.

Cascades about 4' tall after only 2 weeks. On the North side of the house gets lots of morning sun and afternoon shade.

DSC_5508.jpg

DSC_5509.JPG

Just planted these guys yesterday. Will be my first attempt so I am quite excited about it. Never been interested in growing plants before but this is a good start.

image-3657891509.jpg

image-3811564366.jpg

3650-1st-year-hops-golding-mt-hood-labeled-larger-buckets-all-others-cascade.jpg

I'm excited about growing hops for the first time. I have Golding & Mt. Hood in the labeled containers and Cascade in the others. They've been in potting soil for about ten days. Mt. Hood takes the early lead.

I have a sprout! After 2 weeks, the nugget popped up on the first sunny day. Yesterday, I also found the tiniest sprout on the willamette. So excited!

ForumRunner_20110430_063501.jpg

I am a first time grower, and just got my plants on the weekend. I found a local guy selling Cascade & Chinook clones, and when I went to pick them up, he added that he had a 1 year old centennial in a pot that he was willing to part with. So far I have the centennial in the ground, and am waiting till the end of the week to transplant the other two.

The Centennial has been in the ground for 4 days and is already climbing like a champ.

The two clones will go in the other two boxes. The lusher, greener of the two is the Chinook.

Growing 017small.jpg

Growing 015small.jpg

Growing08small.JPG

Southeast Pennsylvania here.

(2) 2nd Year Cascades & (2) 2nd year Goldings are flying out of the soil already. This past weekend I pruned down all of the really long "early" bines, and I'll be putting up the trellis this weekend.

Thinking I'm just going to let 2 bines per plant grow this year, but the way these things came out of the box the past few weeks, I could have strung up about 7-8 per plant!

I'll post some pics after I get my ghetto trellis back up again.

Nugget broke ground last week. Perle is about 3 feet long! I'll get pics when we finally get a sunny day around here, since I was out of town last weekend. The good news with all these ridiculous storms is that it's doing all my watering for me.

All right when I get home I'm going to snap and add what I've got going on.
Last weekend I traded 6 oz of hops for 5 Cascade Rhizomes and got them in the ground, 3 of them are now about five tall now.

Southeast Pennsylvania here.

(2) 2nd Year Cascades & (2) 2nd year Goldings are flying out of the soil already. This past weekend I pruned down all of the really long "early" bines, and I'll be putting up the trellis this weekend.

Thinking I'm just going to let 2 bines per plant grow this year, but the way these things came out of the box the past few weeks, I could have strung up about 7-8 per plant!

I'll post some pics after I get my ghetto trellis back up again.

Ditto here in Northeast PA (NEPA / Scranton). I'll snap up some shots. Just did my pruning to 2-3 bines per mound. Have 6 different varieties. Quite a few over 6 feet already. All are second year and came back this year with avengeance! THICK! Hopefully it will carry through to harvest.

First year hops from Northwest Hops. I just ordered 2 Centennial rhizomes from Rebel Brewer, so they'll be added to the veggie garden when I get them. The 2 in the veggie garden will be trained horizontally when the hit the top of the pole, and the 2 next to my patio will be able to grow horizontally across our pergola when they hit the top of the poles. Hope they do OK in our NC hot summers. :eek:

Cascades.jpg

Magnum1.jpg

Santiam.jpg

Willamette.jpg

Second year Newport hops have already reached the top of their 10ft. trellis. Any suggestions on what to do once they reach the top? I have about 4 bines with a fifth one breaking ground. Figure I will just let more grow since the others have already reached the top.

image-534707237.jpg

image-3195993198.jpg

First year cascades popped up... Have a few others going as well...centennial, Columbus and nugget are all up as well... Still waiting on chinook to pop out of the mulch.

image-209367074.jpg

Back