2011 AHA NHC - whatcha got?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks!

Have a couple to send out today, but decided to add a Robust Porter after tasting it last night.
Unfortunately, the only East judging center, Saratoga Springs, is full.

I'd send it (or all of my entries) to one of the other judging centers, but once you commit, they won't let you change locations.

Hmmm. Just thinking. I got the family AHA plan, so my wife's a member . . .
Would that be wrong? :eek:
In case there is someone else interested, I contacted AHA and got this response.

Hi,

There is nothing to stop you from entering your beer using your wife's name and AHA member number, but you will need to use a different e-mail address for her account as well. I don't have a problem with your idea, but we'll probably look at the scenario for next year's Rules & Regulations.

Good luck to both of you in the competitions!

Cheers,
Janis

Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
American Homebrewers Association Project Coordinator

They won't let you enter in two different locations and I've already got a couple going to Saratoga Springs. Since that judging center is full, there's no "legal" way to enter another beer even though there are plenty of spots open in other regions.

They claim that they are allowing entries to be sent to regions outside of where you live because some spots filled last year and others didn't. They did it as a way to get more beers into the competition. Kind of defeats the purpose if you have no option to switch location or send to multiple locations once a spot fills.

I'm not a fan of the rule change, I just don't see how minor fraud on the entry form is the solution. I think you asked for a ruling at the AHA forum so hopefully it is in your favor or there is another satisfactory workaround.

They were very clear in the instructions that you would be limited to one site and might not be able to enter as many as you wanted there.

I'm not a fan of the rule change, I just don't see how minor fraud on the entry form is the solution. I think you asked for a ruling at the AHA forum so hopefully it is in your favor or there is another satisfactory workaround.
I agree. Not a fan of being able to ship to judging centers outside of your region. It takes away from regional bragging rights.

As you can see from my last post, I did get an answer from the AHA forum by way of an email from the director of the competition. It's not fraud because there is no unfair advantage gained. It's simply a work around for a flaw in the rules.

Not sure I want to spend the extra shipping to the west coast, but it's good to know that it is an option.

I agree. Not a fan of being able to ship to judging centers outside of your region. It takes away from regional bragging rights.

I agree, but I understood the dilema they were in with a few regions filling up quickly, and some not at all.

I think they should keep the regional boundaries; but then open things up if/when "your" region fills.

I accidentally clicked on Denver (rather than my usual San Diego) and had no choice but to ship to Denver because there's no way to change. Oops on my part.

And Dallas and Denver are getting very close (around 725 each), once they hit 750 Seattle will close very quick.

If you want to enter, do it ASAP and I really think it could be completely closed by tomorrow afternoon.

I use FedEx and have no issues. 9 bottles on their way to Denver. No telling how they will fair. Best of luck to everyone!

I may have to switch to FedEx. I used to have good luck with UPS, but recently they broke 1 of 3 bottles on the way to California. Not long before that, my buddy's package full of beer was damaged by UPS when it was run over....

I took a chance and sent my 3 entries to Denver via UPS today.

:off: Where do you go to ship via FedEx? I work right next to Corrales.

I'm doing:

Belgian Golden
Saison
Saison w/brett
ESB
American Brown
Basil IPA (take-off on Evan!'s recipe)
Octoberfest
Berliner Weiss
Sour Ginger Hefe (cat 23... here's hoping it gets ahead of the CDAs!)

Of these, I think the sour hefe and brown have a good shot at placing. We'll see if I can get the saison actually judged in the right category this year.

I may have to switch to FedEx. I used to have good luck with UPS, but recently they broke 1 of 3 bottles on the way to California. Not long before that, my buddy's package full of beer was damaged by UPS when it was run over....

I took a chance and sent my 3 entries to Denver via UPS today.

:off: Where do you go to ship via FedEx? I work right next to Corrales.

Fedex Office (formerly Fedex Kinkos) stores are pretty ubiquitous everywhere I have lived but I recommend getting a shipping scale (great for grain too, mine was around $20) and set up an online account. Then you can use the self service drop type locations or if you happen to be ordering something delivered via Fedex, just leave it on the porch (or wherever the Fedex guy goes).

Is there (or will there be) a list of entries by homebrew clubs?
Curious if I'm the only one who used HomeBrewTalk Brewers as their club?

:off:
Brewed several versions of a Black Ale (BIPA) over the last two years. Tried using some Amber Malt in the latest one (along with the usual Carafa Special.) It changed the beer drastically. Very roasty throughout. Hints of chocolate and coffee. Dry, slightly astringent finish. Not bad just not what I expected. Must have used too much of the Amber. Made a last minute decision to enter it in NHC as a Robust Porter instead of putting it in with what will probably be a huge number of BIPA's in 23. With West Coast hops, it leans heavily toward an American version of a Porter. Not my strongest horse in the race, but the one I'll be most curiously waiting to read what the judges have to say.

So, who's going to hammer me for entering a beer in a category other than the one it was intended for when brewed? :eek:

So, who's going to hammer me for entering a beer in a category other than the one it was intended for when brewed? :eek:

Not me. I say enter what you have.

By the way, if anyone hasn't entered yet, I can't stress how important it is that you get your entries in online NOW. I would bet a conical fermentor that all regions close today.

I would bet a conical fermentor that all regions close today.
Ha! Made me check.
Looks like a safe bet!

Seattle, WA - 22 spots left
Entries: 728
Shipping Location: Seattle, WA 98134-1238

Lodi, CA - FULL
Entries: 750
Shipping Location: Concord, CA 94518

San Diego, CA - FULL
Shipping Location: San Diego, CA 92126

Denver, CO - FULL
Shipping Location: Denver, CO 80204

Dallas, TX - FULL
Shipping Location: Carrollton, TX 75006

Madison, WI - FULL
Shipping Location: Madison, WI 53718

Indianapolis, IN - FULL
Shipping Location: Indianapolis, IN 46202

Nashville, TN - FULL
Shipping Location: Goodlettsville , TN 37072

Troy, NY - FULL
Shipping Location: Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

I sent off a CDA(or whatever name you prefer), Am. Barleywine, Peppered Blonde, Doppelbock, Brown Ale, Am. IPA, Chocolate Porter, and a Melomel. I'm not completely happy with about half my entries, but sometimes the judges like things I don't, so they all went.

The barleywine is really young (about 2 months) and I was planning to send it next year, but it is so good, I had to throw it in.

I won't get anything in this year, but I'm still a new brewer. I have two beers fermenting right now but I'm still trying to perfect some of my go to recipes. Hopefully I'll be able to enter a competition this summer.

I sent in an oaked coconut rum porter referencing the interactions of pirates and the Royal Navy in the Caribbean. I thought it turned out impressively well, I was expected to have to tweak it to get it right... so I figured, may as well see how it does.

I just tried to enter and all the locations are full! =(

edit: damn I now realize this is old news. I will be ready next year..

I shipped yesterday and they said it would be there by Tuesday. So for many people, today could be the last day to get it there by ground shipping.

How far did you ship? I'm in MA and shipped to NY by UPS ($10) on Tuesday at 6 PM and it arrived Wednesday early afternoon.

Being in KC I tend to be able to get a lot of places in two days via ground. Certainly Dallas where I am entering.

I have to ship some for the club and will also send them Monday. They will be going to Dallas, Nashville or Madison. Nashville will be two days as well. I'll probably just spring for 2 day for Madison as I don't know if that would be 2 or 3 normally.

According to the AHA NHC website calendar it looks like NY and WA were judged yesterday?

Anyone know if they plan to send out scoresheets or post results after judging is completed or do they wait until all centers have completed first round judging?

According to the AHA NHC website calendar it looks like NY and WA were judged yesterday?

Anyone know if they plan to send out scoresheets or post results after judging is completed or do they wait until all centers have completed first round judging?

They'll send scoresheets directly to you. When? Who knows. I think Seattle was super fast last year and some judging sites I won't name have taken many, many weeks. I think in the past there were people who never got scoresheets.

Results will be posted by the AHA all at one time around Mid May.

You made me curious, so I went to the source.

In short . . .
No results will be released by individual competitions.
They will be posted at the AHA website after they all come in.
That should be sometime in early May at the latest.
Score sheets as soon as your site processes them, 1-2 weeks after competition.

You will get results from the competition two ways: on the web site http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/winners and through the mail. The first two NHC competitions took place this weekend; one finished and the other needs more time. The 9 competitions in the U.S. must be completed by April 25th. The ALES Home Brew Open competition tales place April 11-16. All competitions must return their databases to me for processing before any results will be posted on the web site.

Each competition's site director will send out score sheet results within one to two weeks of the completion of their competition. If your competition started and finished early in the April 1-25 time frame, you may get your results by mail sooner than later. The web results will be posted by the first week of May at the latest.

If you have an entry that placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the First Round competition, you will be notified by mail from the AHA about how to submit your entries to the Final Round. That mailing will go out around the second week of May. The Final Round entry due date can be found on the main NHC web page, and you will need 3 bottles. The AHA will send the bottle labels to use for the Final Round.

If you have further questions about the NHC you can e-mail me directly at [email protected].

Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,
Janis

In short . . .

Paragraph 2 states that the individual coordinators will send out their scoresheets within 1-2 weeks so, some will get theirs before others. The official AHA posting will not be until May.

Hopefully you entered in a region that is on the ball.

In short . . .
Paragraph 2 states that the individual coordinators will send out their scoresheets within 1-2 weeks so, some will get theirs before others. The official AHA posting will not be until May.
Thank you for your insightful interpretation of my post. I apologize for not realizing that the results of the competition comprise solely of your individual score sheet. It was foolish of me to think that the results of the first round is a list of all the finishers moving on to the second round. :D

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Basically what you did was selectively cut a piece from the post and then contradict it when as a whole the information presented was complete and accurate.
But hey .... whatever :D

Basically what I was saying is your scoresheets will say whether you are moving on to the second round or not, based on the information on the BJCP cover sheet.

So to say no results to be released by individual competitions is not entirely correct, but hey...whatever :D

Alas, I didn't get my bottling doohickey in time to bottle any beers for the NHC, and frankly I don't have a lot of my already bottled RIS left and I'd rather enjoy drinking it.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like only either WA or NY already finished (...one needs more time...) but either way it sounds it is possible to recieve score sheet results prior to the offical NHC posting in May.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like only either WA or NY already finished (...one needs more time...) but either way it sounds it is possible to recieve score sheet results prior to the offical NHC posting in May.

I think last year Janis got the results up a few days or a week before she said she would. She won't sit on them or anything so if the organizers are on the ball with their reporting and things go smoothly on her end they may be up a bit earlier than expected.

Scoresheets from the NW region were mailed out yesterday ( 4/4/11 ) morning.

Back