2011 AHA NHC - whatcha got?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just mailed my final round entry from NJ via FedEx. two day was $85 three day was $51 and ground would take 7 days in the heat. no wonder people on the east coast dont win...lol

just mailed my final round entry from NJ via FedEx. two day was $85 three day was $51 and ground would take 7 days in the heat. no wonder people on the east coast dont win...lol
UPS was a bit cheaper than FedEx. From NJ; $15 ground, $35 3-day and $50 2-day.

I followed Hugh's advice and avoided the hot weekend delay, but cheaped out and went with three day.

I sent mine 2-day. I didn't want to risk an extra day, possibly in a truck in this current heat. 6 bottles - $110 Ouch!!!! I guess making it to the next round is a mixed blessing! Hopefully next year will be East of the Mississippi.

Guy at UPS said it wouldn't be there until Tuesday going Ground so I had no choice but to pony up the $50+ for 3-day (6 bottles). Supposed to get there Friday.

My rebrewed Mild was not fully carbed on Sunday but it still won a taste test vs. the original Mild amongst a small group of brewers/mazers. So I gave it 20 psi until Monday evening and bottled it, boxed it, then shipped it Tuesday. I think it's about right, I'll know tonight when I take it to the Brewer's Gathering gathering. I also sacrificed a liquid OUT dip tube by cutting it in half so I could easily bottle from the clear stuff nearer the top of the keg instead of pulling from the 'cloud' at the bottom. Now that Mild is on nitro mixed-gas for the remainder.

I think I worry about breakage during shipment more than any other part of this process.

Seattle then Philly is the word. If you want it in location X, form committee in location X and present a bid. My understanding is that the AHA is not turning down any reasonable bids it is more a challenge to get them period. If the west coast people are more willing to put in the thousands of man hours required, then they deserve the conferences (I am from Kansas City, so this isn't based in self interest).

Sent 9 bottles this morning from Seattle to San Diego. 2-day to be delivered Friday AM cost me a c-note (plus a little).

While on the topic of shipping, what is the risk of exploding bottles (or something else altitude related) with air shipping as opposed to going ground?

While on the topic of shipping, what is the risk of exploding bottles (or something else altitude related) with air shipping as opposed to going ground?

Essentially zero I would think. I have flown with lots of beer, no problems.

Cargo holds are generally pressurized on passenger planes. Not sure if this applies to cargo planes (though a lot of fedex/ups packages go on passenger planes anyway) but also consider that the cargo hold is typically cold which will decrease the pressure inside of the bottle.

If you are doing something that pushes the margins like 4-5 volumes in a normal bottle maybe that is iffy.

I would think heat at normal pressure would be as dangerous as cold and reduced pressure outside of the bottle anyway though.

MAN! My 2 day package that was supposed to arrive last Friday just got delivered this morning (Monday) at 9:07. I guess it sat in a hot warehouse all weekend. Hope the bocks all made it in one piece and don't end up worse for wear.

Sent mine on Wed. for Friday delivery. Still no delivery confirmation and UPS has no clue where it is. I'm hoping it actually got delivered and the tracking somehow got screwed up. Who knows?? And to talk to them they act like it is somehow my fault. blood shooting from my eyes right now. :mad:

Well.....I found out this morning that my beer did actually make it to the show. The method by which I found out was a FB message from a friend of mine who was there. The message that read " Dude, black IPA won a freaking SILVER!" :D

Woohoooo!

Well.....I found out this morning that my beer did actually make it to the show. The method by which I found out was a FB message from a friend of mine who was there. The message that read " Dude, black IPA won a freaking SILVER!" :D

Woohoooo!

Congrats. We won Gold in fruit beer.

Congrats to Paul Sangster and The BN Army for the big awards.

Do we get score sheets from the final round? When do they get mailed out?

Congrats to all who placed in the final round! Now that you won and need to make room in the fridge for more brews, you may ship them to my place for proper disposal.

I got an email from Janis (at AHA) today. She is sick and will be out of the office until she gets better. Once that happens the medals, score sheets, prizes etc. will be mailed within a couple weeks.

I received my final round scores today for my American Stout. I did not do as well as in the first round. I suspect that it might have something to do with sitting in the back of a UPS truck for 6 days, but I will never know.

First round I scored an average 38 and second round an average 24....

Some of the criticism was good but contradictory to the first round. Mainly not enough hop aroma and burnt aftertaste. One judge also said it was watery.

I wish I could have been there tasting with them. This is my first competition and overall I am happy with the results and the judges comments.

Cheers to all the organizers judges and brewers!:mug:

I received my final round scores today for my American Stout. I did not do as well as in the first round. I suspect that it might have something to do with sitting in the back of a UPS truck for 6 days, but I will never know.

First round I scored an average 38 and second round an average 24....

Some of the criticism was good but contradictory to the first round. Mainly not enough hop aroma and burnt aftertaste. One judge also said it was watery.

I wish I could have been there tasting with them. This is my first competition and overall I am happy with the results and the judges comments.

Cheers to all the organizers judges and brewers!:mug:

That sounds exactly like oxidation.

Back