2010-2011 Fantasy Hockey. Who's in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dish Network and Fox Sports are feuding and Fox has pulled it's programming from Dish starting last night. They better get this worked out or my Hockey Season is going to suck!

Dish Network and Fox Sports are feuding and Fox has pulled it's programming from Dish starting last night. They better get this worked out or my Hockey Season is going to suck!

At least you have something to watch on TV... SWMBO says "No cable!"...I had to watch the Tide whoop the razorbacks on the CBS website!

I haven't checked... has the time of the draft changed?

Not yet. As of right now, 10:42 PM Mountain time on Friday, only 4 teams have voted in the league poll. I'm reluctant to move the draft to any other time without a bigger quorum from the league, especially since the reminder e-mails from ESPN have already automatically been sent.

Sorry if that messes thing up for you, but only 1/3 of the teams in the league have even cast a vote.

It's on.

The draft will take place as scheduled, 7PM ET today. For those who can't make it, get your rankings where you want them, and ESPN will do the drafting for you.

For everyone who will be attending in real-time, the draft link should be active one hour before the draft begins. If you haven't mock drafted, please log in a bit early to ensure the software loads and runs for you. I can't provide software support -- that's ESPN's gig, and I have almost no power.

Here's a screencap of the draft software in action:
2wd6g0o.png

Please take close note of the "Auto-pick" button at the upper left, and the player queue in the middle. If you need to go AFK during the draft (say, to refill your beer), please turn on auto-pick so everyone else doesn't have to wait for your 90 second clock to run down. When auto-pick is on, players in your queue will be drafted in that order, if available. If your queue is empty, ESPN's "best available" choice gets picked for you, just as if you weren't in the draft room.

Here's the Autopick in action. You can switch it on and off anytime.

qz2cd2.png

Good luck, and see you goons at the draft!

I'm sure going to miss picking Ryan Miller in the third round this year. This should be a fun draft.

What if, say, I can't get on the draft at all. Would the draft auto pick for me? Today is the bama v. florida game at 7pm Central so I may not be around a computer during the draft since I'll be packed into bryant-denny...
EDIT: nevermind...I should have left 4 hours ago to even hope to have a chance at parking within 2 miles of the stadium... looks like I'll be on for the draft after all :/

Although your question, Wiggles, is probably hypothetical now, the answer is that the software will draft for you and pick the "best available" player in each round according to ESPN's rankings.

You'd still end up with decent players in each round, and have a good starting team.
Draft Room is Open! See y'all in there!

...aaaand done. That was a fast draft. Good luck on the ice, everybody. Let the smack-talking begin.

First game for points is October 7. The first round is Oct. 7-17. The full league schedule is on the "schedule" tab of the league homepage.

And I completely forgot about it...

I dont' know if I'll have time to log in tonight to check out what happened or not. It's my BUSY night with dance to get my kids to and I have 2 other important things to do.

Yeah, I didn't do too bad for autopick...
I wanted to draft, really I did but I was forced to go to this octoberfest party & drink a bunch of BEER! :tank:

One question... I've never done this before (!)...

The match-ups are done by a time period; do I have to freeze my entire roster for the first match-up by the time the first game starts? Or can I wait until later, for those players who don't play until later?

I was gone for the draft too. Players look okay, but I'm a little worried about my goalie situation. Pascal Leclaire and Brain Boucher in for the injured Michael Leighton???

One question... I've never done this before (!)...

The match-ups are done by a time period; do I have to freeze my entire roster for the first match-up by the time the first game starts? Or can I wait until later, for those players who don't play until later?

Lineup changes lock individually for each player at game start.

That is to say, on any given day, you can move players around until their team starts playing. After that, they are locked in position and can't be moved any more for that day.

I'm still clueless about what I'm supposed to do and how this all works. I may have to get with a friend and have him show me. I feel I'm missing something here.

Just noticed that we do not have any IR slots. Could be interesting later in the season!

Now that you mention that....Joe, is this something we can add?

Stupid league commissioner that I am, I didn't add any IR slots.
Stupid ESPN won't allow me to add any positional slots now without resetting the draft, which I'm not going to do.

Not having IR is going to make things more interesting, and I apologize for the mixup on my part. It's going to add a different dimension to managing our teams: Do we keep an injured player on the bench, or do we drop him and hope not to lose him on waivers?

I'm still clueless about what I'm supposed to do and how this all works. I may have to get with a friend and have him show me. I feel I'm missing something here.

What part don't you understand? Maybe I can help...

1st we drafted players, You now have to use those player to set your line-up each day. Somedays you wont have a full line up like today & other days you'll have all the NHLers playing & have to pick which ones you want in your line up. then we go head to head with other teams to see who gets the most points. this week you play Roid Rage.
If you look @ our league settings It will tell you all the things we get points on as it's not all just scoring goals.

I hope this helps, Let me know if you have any ?s

How can I help? Really, at this point, I think you should be concentrating on setting up you roster for each day to make sure you have as many players playing as possible. Pretty much everything you need right now is on the "My Team", "Players" and "Scoreboard" tabs.

Click around, look at how things are set up. You can't really break anything, unless you add/drop players by accident. ESPN's pretty good about asking for confirmation, though.

I guess I was misunderstanding the competition aspect. I had originally thought we would be accumulating points per day (if any of our players were playing) and those points count against the other teams' points. I can understand a bit better now that I see we are going head-to-head against other teams.

So it basically goes week-week against another team. Do points accum. or do they reset for each matchup? (after each week is done)?

And so if my guy is listed as DTD, then I'll probably want to watch the news and see if he goes? Otherwise bench him?

What about trades? Do we trade players between, or drop and add as desired? Any limit?

Sorry for the questions. I actually have the ESPN guide up, but have not had a chance to really read through it yet.

Ok, I found the scoring system. I think this is starting to fall into place for me now. I'm suddenly wanting to head to the bar with my laptop and get ready to watch a few hockey games tonight (but I can't...) :(

Homer:

The format is head-to-had for points, which means that yes, your point total resets to zero at the start of each week's matchup. It's you vs the other guy, and a win by one point is just as valuable as a win by 90 points.

Near the end of the regular NHL season, the top two teams from each division go into playoffs for the championship, while everyone else plays a consolation bracket.

I got busy last night with other stuff at home and missed the Avs season opener against the Blackhawks -- which the Avs won in OT. As a Denver person, I sure miss the days of the Avalanche being a perennial powerhouse. This season, I'll be happy with a playoffs berth.

I think I'm catching on.

So I go to drop a player who is going to out for months and guess what? There are some games being played in like Europe or somewhere and the roster is now LOCKED. Kinda sucks. Who would have thought they would be locked at mid-day?

Oh well, I guess a have a little time to research his replacement.

Espn's autodraft was really poor. You can still drop players when they are playing, it just is liseted for the next day.

Your league commish stopped making trophies. Honestly, I wasn't sure anybody cared about them. I'll be happy to set up any that have been missed and people want for their trophy cases.

Your league commish stopped making trophies. Honestly, I wasn't sure anybody cared about them. I'll be happy to set up any that have been missed and people want for their trophy cases.

Yes!!! I want my back-dated trophies as well!!! Especially from the week I KICKED YOUR ARSE!!!!

+1 on the trophies. My cellar dwelling was made more manageable by getting the highest points a couple weeks ago. I'm playing the spoiler now.

Latest posts

Back