2009 Hop garden picture thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning, about 7am whilst letting the dogs do their thing. ;) They get a lot of sun otherwise, especially into the evening. Trying to keep 'em somewhat close to the house to deter groundhogs/rabbits/etc from chomping on 'em. :mad:

That's good, I was hoping you would say it was first thing in the morning! That means they'll get good sun the rest of the day...

Just finished doing the weekly cleanup in the hop garden. I found some extra bines here and there, which is normal. Two of them were around the Perle plant, but when I started removing them, they went all the way back to the Northern Brewer 8 feet away! Rather amazing for one week's growth.

Most of the bines are close to the top of the trellis, except for the Perle and the Columbus. The former is about ten feet and the latter only 3, but it's new for this year.

Now, if I can just figure out why my Early Girl tomato plant stopped growing at 16"...

how often are you watering the tomatoe plant? you should try cutting back on the water for it. When you water them a lot, they put effort into growing larger. water them less and they will put their effort into producing tomatoes instead of growing the plant larger.

well, now... My 2nd year hops plants are vining like crazy, but I only have 1 hop flower... 1 frikkin cone! What is up with that? Maybe not enough sunlight?

how often are you watering the tomatoe plant? you should try cutting back on the water for it. When you water them a lot, they put effort into growing larger. water them less and they will put their effort into producing tomatoes instead of growing the plant larger.

+1 on that! Also, if you water them too much your tomatoes will split and then spoil on the vine. Last year I watered my tomatoes every day on a drip system for about 10 minutes per day. WAY TOO MUCH water! This year, I'm sticking to a good 10-15 minute soak every 2-4 days depending on the temp. This seems to be a good amount as I've got HUGE tomato plants and tons of tomatoes on each one. Another 3-4 weeks and I'll be making salsa and marinara sauce! :rockin:

Wow, so many good looking hops. I am growing some in the ground and some hydro (aquaponically) this year.
Here is what I planted them in this year for regular soil raising. It is the cut-off pieces from my grow-tube project, makes a great mower-guard! Cacasde in the first shot and Mt. Hood in the second picture.
cascadeafterculling.jpg
MtHoodaboveground.jpg

Here's the hydro system awaiting my rooted Cascade cuttings for planting in the grow-tubes (hopefully soon).
trellis.jpg

You can see the hop cuttings I took at the bottom of the pic in the fish tank. All the veggies are looking good as well.

Hope I get a really good outcome with all the new stuff I am trying.

**cant figure out why some are sideways! Sorry!

First year container hops...

Hallertau has a 9' main bine...

06-14_Hall_1.jpg

...and side shoots from the bottom have grown. The biggest are about 4-5' with 2" growing horizontally to the other rope. (not sure why the pic is sidways!)

06-14_Hall_2.jpg

Here we have the Willamette with about 8.5' main bine...

06-14_Will_1.jpg

...the side shoots have taken off in the last few weeks. There are a total of 4 around the main rope (left) and about 4-5 on the right...

06-14_Will_2.jpg

I am loving all these hops garden pictures and to top it off tonight I saw the first burrs on three of my bines.

Here's some photos of my hops from this year. All but one of mine from last year came back, and the Cascade are going gangbusters. I couldn't resist so I planted four more this year, and replaced the one that failed.

Here's a side view of all of them
2009 Hops1.jpg

Centennial, first year that replaced a Willamette that diddn't come back
2009 Hops2.jpg

Willamette, 2nd year
2009 Hops3.jpg

Cascade, 2nd year
2009 Hops4.jpg

Chinook, 2nd year, the one on the left had the top eaten, and then started growing like crazy
2009 Hops5.jpg

Horizon, 2nd year
2009 Hops6.jpg

Centennial, 2nd year
2009 Hops7.jpg

Nugget, 1st year
2009 Hops8.jpg

Goldings, 1st year
2009 Hops9.jpg

My Cascade that are going crazy
2009 Hops10.jpg

The Cascade have already grown past the eves and are several feet horizontal
2009 Hops11.jpg

The Cascade are even starting to flower
2009 Hops12.jpg

I snapped some updated pics last night.

Overview of the Garden (2nd year Hallertau hit the top of the roof about 6ft/three weeks ago):
IMG_3140.jpg

Mt. Hood...aka Captain Slow Grow:
IMG_3141.jpg

Kent Goldings:
IMG_3142.jpg

Centenial:
IMG_3143.jpg

Finally finished my first hop garden! Ive had the plants and the poles in the ground for a couple weeks, but wasn't able to get the rope up till today. From left to right, I have Cascade, Fuggle, Hallertau, and Sterling. (Sorry about the messy yard. We have only been in the house for a year and are kind of remodeling from top to bottom.)

Photo0006.jpg

Photo0007.jpg

Photo0008.jpg

Sweetness! I am really thinking next year to have bottomless planter buckets and then just do as you guys do with your "in-ground" hops and planters.

Sweetness! I am really thinking next year to have bottomless planter buckets and then just do as you guys do with your "in-ground" hops and planters.

Confused (first-timer)---do you mean just cutting the bottom of the pots at the end of the season and 'grounding' them next year?

I thought I had placement all planned out so put three Cascades in front of my garage which I now realize only gets about 4-5 hours of sun per day. I should have done pots---just had siding put on my house so didn't want to plant where they would've gotten trampled. But had I done pots I could have just moved them to the nice SUNNY south side of the house... next year. next year...

Yeah, basically plant them in above ground pots with no bottom. This way if the roots want it they can have it. I plan on dividing my potted crowns or splitting the rhizomes to make sure I don't outgrow the pots, ever! This way, at the end of the season I can roll my planters into the garage and over-winter them or move them easier next year. I am just wanting nice clone-able mommas for cuttings to use in another system.

So when you're leaving the bottom open, if the roots go down into the ground, what do you do at the end of the season? Just hack off at the bottom and roll the planter away? Because the rhizome is still safely in the pot?
I'm kind of liking that plan... you can 'easily' control them from spreading if that's what you want.

The roots will propagate rather quickly, though, won't they? Looking at the photos above, I'd imagine the roots will ball up in those pots but they look MIGHTY healthy right now and I'm sure the grower knows what he is doing (as I do not...I've zapped about 3 plants now at this stage and it is mid-June with no hope in sight). I should have LEFT my healthy cascades in their pots and just plopped them on the ground and let strings run! But instead, I transplanted from the pots, they stunted/stopped and now two are going an inch a day. And I have a cutting trying to make a go of it.

I am getting at least 20+ hop flowers on my plant right now. More come out each day. Its so weird how they are all from the middle and up. So excited!

In the background is the hops garden with our vegetable garden in the foreground. We have a big problem with animals so everything is seriously fenced.

TheGardens.jpg

Here is an overall of the hops garden. 2 cascade are on the left and have produced many burrs so I think it will ge a good first year harves. In the middle one sterling died and the other is only about 4 ft tall. Finally on the right is a magnum and nugget. Huge and growing like crazy but no sign of cones yet.

HopsGarden.jpg

And a close-up of magnum and nugget.

MagnumNugget.jpg

Finally got a little more sunshine. Nuggett on the left "hang'n 10". Fuggles, Perle, Norther Brewer and Cascades in front. They don't compare well to the Douglas firs in the background, but the trellis is about 14'.

IMG_5089.JPG

Here are mine - almost all first year hops
from left to right

Willamette (yr 2), Williamette (yr 2), Cascade, EKG (yr 2), Zeus, Zeus, Cascade, Cascade

IMG_00181.JPG

IMG_00192.JPG

1st year, SLC, UT so it is JUST now getting warm:

Willamette:

3658494072_348e674624_b.jpg

Golding:

3657706427_2b8058582f_b.jpg

Centennial (poor little guy):

3657708925_aeda370cdf_b.jpg

g

Here are mine - almost all first year hops
from left to right

Willamette (yr 2), Williamette (yr 2), Cascade, EKG (yr 2), Zeus, Zeus, Cascade, Cascade

IMG_00181.JPG

IMG_00192.JPG

how big are those containers you have them in? i have mine in large pots but those look like 20+gal rubbermaid containers.

I think they are 16 gallon, but they are converted to earthboxes... I have another thread on here about how to build them if your interested.

how big are those containers you have them in? i have mine in large pots but those look like 20+gal rubbermaid containers.

I think they are 16 gallon, but they are converted to earthboxes... I have another thread on here about how to build them if your interested.

consider me interested. Would you mind posting the address to the thread?

Hey Jonnio, I think I'm using the same containers as your grey ones. Sterilite 18 gallon.

They're working out very nicely.

Yeah, I'm bummed---I went through all the trouble of indoor-potting some Cascades and then they got shocked/stunted outside in the ground---I should have just done (and now wish I did) some tubs outside and get them going on their own.

...next year.

Latest posts

Back