2009 Hop garden picture thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics today of my first year hops. Hallertau has reached the top of the 15 foot rope and has cones ALL over it!

7-13_Hall_1.jpg

7-13_Hall_3.jpg

7-13_Hall_2.jpg

Willamette got busted at about 10 feet and has some cones on it. It's a little behind the Hallertau though.

7-13_Will_1.jpg

everyone has some really nice hop gardens going!!
I've got some small cones started, but nothing much yet. I'll get pictures up soon.

Not a single burr in sight here, although one of my plants has some side arms approaching 5 ft, and the others seem happy enough as well.

When the bine gets to the top of the pole which way do you wrap horizontal growth? Clockwise to the right? Counter-clockwise to the left?

I am really glad for all of you. I had some great plants up until last week when the guy who is letting me grow on his land proceeded to disc over ALL of my 2nd year plants except for one. They were clearly marked. MORON!!!!

There goes the 2009 crop....... I would include pictures but there are no bines remaining...

Needless to say I am looking for a new grow site.

:confused:

I am really glad for all of you. I had some great plants up until last week when the guy who is letting me grow on his land proceeded to disc over ALL of my 2nd year plants except for one. They were clearly marked. MORON!!!!

There goes the 2009 crop....... I would include pictures but there are no bines remaining...

That sucks, sorry to hear about that :(

Man. I feel like having a moment of silence. What bines did you loose?

Here are my first year Centennials. I have 4 bines growing up a pole w/ wire threaded through the top. I clamped a piece of PVC pipe to an old washline pole in my yard - tops out at about 15 feet. One of the bines is already producing cones, another isn't far behind, one is really lagging, and the last one was the victim of a nasty catfight but has managed to regrow to about 5 feet!

img2151avb.jpg

img2157dcn.jpg

these are second year cascade on the left and hallertau on the right.
the frame is 3 4x4's 8 ft long bolted together(man that was heavy to stand up in the hole!)
the cross member is on a pulley so i can lower it for harvesting.

horwood 2009 075.jpg

horwood 2009 076.jpg

horwood 2009 077.jpg

Man. I feel like having a moment of silence. What bines did you loose?

I lost two fuggle, two centenial (sp), two huge cascade, one mt hood and two hallertau.

Always a good time. So if you anyone is in central pa and wants to have a joint trellis somewhere I am all ears.

I know your pain. I lost two a few years back when my neighbor removed some snow/dirt off our easement with his plow. The big fooking pole saved the other two.

Later that spring his bull dozer wiped out the pole. I'm WTF is your problem? I promptly moved them.

In the last week I have had two poles break. Right now mine are all trying to survive on a row of tomato cages. :(

In this picture...what are the brownish, redish looking "hairs" coming out? My first year Willamette has tons of these on each cone and I've been curious.

This is the first year growing for me so I'm no expert, but I'd imagine they have something to do with the previous structures from forming the hop cones:

IMG_14961.JPG

This is the first year growing for me so I'm no expert, but I'd imagine they have something to do with the previous structures from forming the hop cones:

Makes sense...I just remembered hearing that once the tips start turning brown it's time to harvest. I wasn't sure if these hairs turning brown was what is meant as the tips. I doubt it...just wanted to check though.

My cascade are coming along nicely. Williamette appears to growing strong, but no signs of any hops yet. My Nugget are WAY behind. Plant is only about 4 feet tall. Im not sure why. it gets maybe 3 hours less sunlight but still at least 8 hours. All plants are first year. I'll put some pics up tomorrow or Friday. Next step is picking them at the correct time. :)

I was just out checking on the bines a few minutes ago; should be able to pull a small harvest in the next week or two. My hands smell all hoppy. :ban:

I vote that they are remnants of the original burrs. I've got similar brown "hairs" on all my varieties. Once the cones develop further the hairs fall off or are easily brushed off when I touch them.

1st year Centennial

Adam Jablonowski's Photos | Facebook

Adam Jablonowski's Photos | Facebook

It goes about 9 feet up and 8 feet down. The part hanging down is growing much slower than the hops right at the top. I'm sure because of some gravity issues with the part of the bine hanging down. I think I will have enough hops to use in a pale ale at least....things are going really good actually.

Some of mine are starting to turn brown on the edges, but they still smell grassy when I pick one. Does the hop smell come after they are cured/dried?

Looking at FlyAngler's pic above, his are an all-around brown. I think the "hairs" that are browning are just going to fall off as said above. Then when the cone leaves start browning, it's about harvest time. I did notice they have a good amount of Lupilin (sp?) built up around the top leaves.

I'm just paranoid about picking too late :(

Some of mine are starting to turn brown on the edges, but they still smell grassy when I pick one. Does the hop smell come after they are cured/dried?

Personally, I didn't get much aroma out of my first year plants. (Tet and Northern Brewer) I am waiting to see if that changes in their second year, but my first year Cascades seem to have a nice hoppy aroma when you smell them.

Looking at FlyAngler's pic above, his are an all-around brown. I think the "hairs" that are browning are just going to fall off as said above. Then when the cone leaves start browning, it's about harvest time. I did notice they have a good amount of Lupilin (sp?) built up around the top leaves.

I'm just paranoid about picking too late :(

I'm a first year grower myself, but most of the references I've read both here and elsewhere say that you should rely on touch to ascertain 'doneness' of the cones. When they begin feeling papery (don't bounce back when squeezed) and you see lots of lupulin under the top bracts, it's time. I think I'll start harvesting over the weekend. The Chinook cones are large, but still quite green.

Trust me once she sees someone with a camera she will be in front of it! Even when I wash my car she wants a picture of her next to it every time! That’s why she has her helmet on she was riding her bike and noticed me walk past with a camera and kicked her new bike to the curb!

Back