2009 Hop garden picture thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i also have an 80' span that i need to build a trellis for...how big are the poles and cables that you used? i have two rows... but thinking that a cross on the top will be enough to support both rows with one set of poles. what say you? thanks in advance.

The poles are 22 feet long I have about 4.5 feet in the ground and the cable is 3/16 stainless steel...I think a cross on the top will be fine if you make it from a 4x4.

Pat

i also have an 80' span that i need to build a trellis for...how big are the poles and cables that you used? i have two rows... but thinking that a cross on the top will be enough to support both rows with one set of poles. what say you? thanks in advance.

I don't see that a cross piece is needed. I went with 2 poles 21' tall, 4' in the ground (hit silly sand, could go no deeper), and used 1/4" galvanized cable, for a ridge of 50'. I, too, have 2 rows, 6' apart.

The cable is strong enough to support a double row of any length, making the crosspieces unnecessary. Actually, if you cross-piece the tops of each pole, you still have to construct some sort of ridge cable between posts, so the second cable and crosspieces are redundant, more expensive, and gain you nothing. Your approach would suffice to carry 4 rows, though. ;)

Although at these lengths, you better anticipate guy wires and anchors at each end.;)

KISS.

Trellis_Ropes_4-24-09_010.jpg

Cascade
11289d1242838573-2009-hop-garden-picture-thread-cascade.jpg

Horizon
11290d1242838580-2009-hop-garden-picture-thread-horizon.jpg

1st year hops planted about 1 month ago. Cascade is definitely growing faster than the Horizon.

I suppose you guys with these post & cable set-ups won't be doing this on the 4th of July! Chasing a corny with two garden hoses. :D

Bummer :( - I have always like the fire fights on the 4th.

img148211.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see that a cross piece is needed. I went with 2 poles 21' tall, 4' in the ground (hit silly sand, could go no deeper), and used 1/4" galvanized cable, for a ridge of 50'. I, too, have 2 rows, 6' apart.

The cable is strong enough to support a double row of any length, making the crosspieces unnecessary. Actually, if you cross-piece the tops of each pole, you still have to construct some sort of ridge cable between posts, so the second cable and crosspieces are redundant, more expensive, and gain you nothing. Your approach would suffice to carry 4 rows, though. ;)

Although at these lengths, you better anticipate guy wires and anchors at each end.;)

KISS.

right...but what i didn't mention is that i have different varieties on rows directly opposite each other... i was concerned with "comingling" between different varieties once they made it up the strings a ways. if i had planned better, i would have planted the same varieties directly opposite each other in the rows. oh well, hindsight eh?

oh, and guy wires/anchors are a definite.

what sort 0f harvest do you get off the four year old bines schl?

edit: nugget is a tuff bastard, grows like a weed in my yard!

what sort 0f harvest do you get off the four year old bines schl?

edit: nugget is a tuff bastard, grows like a weed in my yard!

I got about 1lb 2 oz off the cascade and about 4-5oz off the nugget. My nugget had a bad disease last year.

This reminds me I need to spray now with baking soda and water along with some poop-tea. Both are good for systemic applications. (At the root or leaves)

Got a new camera on Wednesday night and was playing around in the hop yard today...thought I'd share......

Cent
cent1.jpg

Cent
Cent2.jpg

Will
Will1.jpg

Will
will2.jpg

Just for the heck of it.
Ant2.jpg

Me and my buddy just build our trellis on Memorial day. We will have four plants on each side spaced at least 5 feet apart. This will be our first attempt so I am pretty excited. We didn't get them in the ground that day so this coming weekend we will go back out and finish it up. These things should get a lot of sun throughout the day so we'll see how it all turns out!

We are also thinking of doing some suports on the 4x4s since we could only get 3 feet deep due to rocks (hense the large rock my foot is on).

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=24026

Well we finally got a week straight of warm, sunny weather here, and it looks like my hops wont completely suck ass this year, or at least with some babying, things bode well for next year. Here is some update photos:

Chinook

3562667115_7008ef08ec_o.jpg

Nugget

3562666311_5b23becc97_o.jpg

Cascade

3562665809_3fbb875900_o.jpg

And the clipping from SWMBO Uncle's house (plant of unknown variety used to make dream pillows):

3562667607_43aec84d60_o.jpg

Because I was having hop picture inadequacy issues, I went to SWMBO Uncle's House, to take a pic of the plant I got the cutting from. The plant is 25 years old, and he just lets it grow however it does now, because he likes how it looks. So if you ever wondered what your hops would look like if they werent trellised. . .

HOPS GONE WILD!!

3564770191_0ce9772ede.jpg

Holy hop cones Batman! It seems so early to have that much ready to harvest. How cold is your winter?
I know I planted late and mine are just first years but I'm happy some of them broke ground, let alone be ready to pick. Very cool.

Yeah, I am hope to get two harvests. The bines broke ground at the end of January and never stopped growing. I was really lucky not to have any frost this year.
I am pretty sure that the Cascade, Nugget, Zeus and Mt Hood will give me more than one harvest. Some of the other varieties seem to be on track for a late summer harvest.
I called everywhere trying to get info on multiple harvests, but there is not a lot of information out there.

Here is the progress of my second year bines. They are between 13-18 feet tall at this time.

P1020546.JPG

P1020548.JPG

P1020545.JPG

P1020549.JPG

I can certainly attest to that! My leaves got plain shredded.

My appologie about being OT - I get concerned over leave discoloration. My nugget plant was in bad shape last year. Leaves got discolored one by one, dried or turned black. My yield on that plant suffered badly.

I think its better to pick damaged leaves and make space for new ones to grow.

My appologie about being OT - I get concerned over leave discoloration. My nugget plant was in bad shape last year. Leaves got discolored one by one, dried or turned black. My yield on that plant suffered badly.

I think its better to pick damaged leaves and make space for new ones to grow.

I have a couple of plants that may have some deficiencies or something at least. My Willamette which is doing the best out of the bunch but still has yellow around the edges of the leafs of the bottom half (older growth). The homebrewers gardening book says that this may be from a lack of calcium or that is what I thought fit the description of the ones in the books list.

The book suggest placing limestone or wood ashes. Well I had some ash in my fireplace still so I put some on the dirt surrounding the plant as well as my Centennial which is still only about 3 inches tall and has the same thing on a smaller scale.

Is there any better suggestions for this problem?

And tomatoes sprouting already, too, pivopivo! Nice to be in Austin... in MY backyard, it has finally stopped going below zero (celsius) at night...

still trying to figure out how I 'killed' my hops. Have to dig them up this weekend and figure something out, maybe I can still get some shoots happening again.

I cut everything down about 5-6 weeks ago. Trying to keep them from getting all the way up on the roof and burning.

These are all cascades. There are 9 plantings. The two outside ones are new this year. You probably can not see but there are 28 stringers going to the roof.

Hope to also get enough strawberries for a strawberry blonde this summer.

DSC007323.JPG

Spent yesterday whacking extra bines and stripping the lower two feet on each plant. Ran the drip for six hours in anticipation of some hot weather. Still working on converting an old sprayer into an inline feeder for the drip system.

Can't get any good pictures, as the hop yard is surrounded with green. Had 5 inches of rain the first half of the month and everything is just popping.

My humble laterals. Second year

2 fuggles close together on the left
1 EKG on the right.

I have to stick with a SWMBO approved prettiness plan. ;)

hops19.jpg

So this past weekend I went back out to the field with my buddy and we finished what we started a week ago. We took up the remainder on the grass, got the twine up, and got the rihzomes planted.

We are 45 minutes from the field so we are hoping when we go back in a few weeks that we see some nice shoots coming out of the ground. However we do have someone watching them so she may train them if they come up sooner than we can get back there.

We planted 4 cascasades, 1 centennial, 1 chinook, 1 nugget, 1 magnum. The are all at least 5 feet apart and should get plenty of sunshine.

So this past weekend I went back out to the field with my buddy and we finished what we started a week ago. We took up the remainder on the grass, got the twine up, and got the rihzomes planted.

We are 45 minutes from the field so we are hoping when we go back in a few weeks that we see some nice shoots coming out of the ground. However we do have someone watching them so she may train them if they come up sooner than we can get back there.

We planted 4 cascasades, 1 centennial, 1 chinook, 1 nugget, 1 magnum. The are all at least 5 feet apart and should get plenty of sunshine.

Do you have any kids? Because if you do then I bet they don't like dad right now for ruining the ultimate yard ball field.;)

Got a nice bit of land there...

Back